Costs of moving out.

Soldato
Hi.
Im planning on moving out in a month or twos time, and im trying to tot up what it would cost me month to month.
Ive been using that spreadsheet of moneysavingexpert, seems quite comprehensive, but ive no idea on some values:

-Buildings & Contents Insurance
-Council Tax
-Water
-Gas
-Electricity
-Phone line (is this needed if im planning on getting cable internet..?)
-TV Licences (ive heard the costs have changed...?
-Monthly food/drink costs
-Costs for general things around the house (like cleaning products, toilet paper, etc; )

Anything else ive missed?

Thanks in advance all.:).

Associate
IIRC if you are renting you dont need buildings insurance (landlord should cover that).
If you are living alone you only pay 75% of council tax.
If its a flat there could be a possible service charge.

Soldato
Just make a list of all outgoings and make them into a monthly amount even if you pay it annually in a lump sum.

Food/drink
Car insurance/tax/mot/maintenance/petrol
Council tax
Gas
Elec
Water
Rent/mortgage
Annual fees
Internet/tv/phone/line rental
mobile phone
house insurance (contents cover)
Misc items like clothes and one offs
Gym membership
Going out costs
Mrs/gf costs ;)
Credit cards / loans /debt payments
Savings

There will be others you forget about.

Soldato
Landlord should pay buildings insurance, and I pay about £12 a month for contents.

Council tax is dependent on where you are.

I've never lived in a flat with gas. Electric can vary pretty hugely, at a guess I'd say from £30-£50 a month.

Phone line depends on the company. I don't know about TV licence.

Food and drink depends on what you eat and drink. I tend to spend about £40 a week on groceries, plus whatever I spend if I eat out.

Don't tend to spend much on cleaning stuff. Tenner a month at most.

Soldato
OP
IIRC if you are renting you dont need buildings insurance (landlord should cover that).
Thats handy, so going off manic111's contents of £12/month, i'll wack it in as 15. :p

If you are living alone you only pay 75% of council tax.
I would be, what would the council tax work out at?

Im gonna assume worst case, and that i need a phone line, so a basic one from BT comes to £9.50, so i'll call it a tenner.

Im hoping that by totting up all the monthly costs, i can work out what 'float' i'll have each month for actually living, and buying things.

Soldato
OP
council tax will be approx £70-80 a month ( at 75% )

Thanks, any guesses on water prices? & Gas?
What about 'unexpected costs' like getting the phone line hooked up? & stuff like that.

Ive worked out that moving to where im planning will mean i only have to fill up the car once a month, compared to once a week before, thats an instant £150 saving! lol.

Don
mine is 60 for elec , 60 for gas and 32 for water

would depend on size of property etc

phone connection charges vary wildly depending on company and what is already installed

Soldato
OP
mine is 60 for elec , 60 for gas and 32 for water

would depend on size of property etc

phone connection charges vary wildly depending on company and what is already installed

Im wondering if i'd use the gas all that much tbh. Perhaps just boiling water once a night....?

Soldato
OP
Based on the options ive got on this spreadsheet ive worked out: (all monthy, yearly stuff is split into 12 for a per month cost).

Rent - about £550
Buildings & Contents - £15
Council tax - £80
Water - £35
Gas - £30
Electricity - £50
Cleaning Products/stuff for house - £10
Phone line - £10
Internet - £15
TV Licence - £13
Mobile Phone - £40
iPad 3g - £7.50
Food - £170
Drink - £40
Meals at work - £10 (bacon fridays!!!! lol)
Car Maintenance - £20
Car Insurance - £75
Car Tax - £10
Diesel - £50
Loan - £115
Personal Grooming - £10 (gel, haircuts, deodorant, ect; )

Which comes to roughly £1360. Leaving me about £350 a month float for buying stuff/savings/etc;

Soldato
OP
Ive been researching ways to combine & bring down some of the costs.
For example, i think for £12 a month, my bank will do me home insurance, contents insurance, travel and a few other bits and bobs. So theres a few quid saved, potentially, already.

Soldato
Hi.
Im planning on moving out in a month or twos time, and im trying to tot up what it would cost me month to month.
Ive been using that spreadsheet of moneysavingexpert, seems quite comprehensive, but ive no idea on some values:

-Buildings & Contents Insurance
-Council Tax
-Water
-Gas
-Electricity
-Phone line (is this needed if im planning on getting cable internet..?)
-TV Licences (ive heard the costs have changed...?
-Monthly food/drink costs
-Costs for general things around the house (like cleaning products, toilet paper, etc; )

Anything else ive missed?

Thanks in advance all.:).

Hi, I moved out for the first time in June, we have a two-bed semi. The costs we pay are below (this is for the pair of us, so we pay half each obv):

We rent, so no buildings insurance - contents is £17 pm
Council tax depends on size of house/flat - ours is £107 pm
Water - £25 pm
Gas & Electric together - £77 pm (at the mo)
Phone - ours is £12.79 line rental pm from BT (then obv extra for the calls), then broadband from O2 is £7.50 pm. If you're going with Virgin Media then you will still need to pay line rental because they lease your line from BT, don't know how much it'd be though.
TV licence - about £10 pm
Food and drink - We spend about £60 a week at the supermarket but we tend to buy branded stuff etc, we could probably do it for about £45 if we bought more own brands and less steak :D - don't tend to buy alcohol from shopping budget tho.
General things for round the house we tend to get in that shopping budget.

One thing we found is that for the first few weeks we spent a lot more than we are now and it's just a fact that you probably will. If it seems that you're spending loads then don't worry too much, it'll settle down. We had factored in things like furniture, food, etc, but found we needed to buy things we hadn't thought of like a dustpan and brush, an ironing board, salt and pepper pots, herbs, things like that!

Oh and then we were daft by adding two kittens into the mix, who'd been badly looked after to start with and developed cat flu within a couple of days... followed by 2 months backwards and forwards to the vets! Don't get cats if you want to have any money in your bank account at the end of the month!

Good luck and have fun! :D

Back
Top Bottom