Could anyone offer me some useful I.T career advice

Soldato
I suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and i've been out of work since i graduated from Uni in June 2007. I can only work part time and nothing too physical. I've been using PC's since I was 12 and i'm pretty good with them although never saw myself working with them.

Anyway, it's been so hard find work I though i'd look into some form of I.T training/qualification but dont really have any what i'm looking for.

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some training i could do that might lead to part time work?

Thanks muchly

Soldato
OP
My degree wasn't in I.T, it was American Studies. I quite like building PC's but i'm not sure there'd be much work for that in Maidstone, Kent. Just being a generic I.T support guy would fine.

To be honest, i'm not 100% sure what area of I.T i'd be most interested in.

Permabanned
My degree wasn't in I.T, it was American Studies. I quite like building PC's but i'm not sure there'd be much work for that in Maidstone, Kent. Just being a generic I.T support guy would fine.

To be honest, i'm not 100% sure what area of I.T i'd be most interested in.

there are lots of IT companys in the Maidstone area, maybe worth looking for telephone support type roles?

Associate
Look at the NHS, though my bit of it doesn't seem to have any IT vacancies atm. The main desktop support for various west kent trusts is based at Maidstone hospital.

Soldato
What about offering your services to schools locally? You'd need to get CRB checked but a lot of schools don't have their own IT support and often buy in to services form the local authority of from people like yourself. Just a thought.

Plus, with your Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, you should be able to be a little bit flexible with your hours (although would be in term time, schools now open well before 9am and are usually still open until 6 or so what with their after school clubs etc.).

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Would i not need some form qualification though to work in IT for someone like the NHS or a school?

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Would i not need some form qualification though to work in IT for someone like the NHS or a school?

You can get into 1st line support (taking calls, resetting passwords) or IT installation with no qualifications. You can then prove yourself in either area and progress onto second line desktop support.

Back
Top Bottom