1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could/would you drive your car without driver aids

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Mercenary Keyboard Warrior, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Hades

Capodecina

My Corrado doesn't have any driver aids apart from power steering and ABS (and frankly the brakes are poor anyway). So yes I happily drive it without them. I wouldn't have a problem driving a far more powerful car without them either. In fact I think drivers becone complacent without them.

2. Acme

Caporegime

Bin off windscreen wipers then, they help you see in the rain but you can still make out blurry outlines without them. :p

In fact sack off the whole windscreen. :p

3. bimbleuk

Wise Guy

Like bike riders my kit car had no roof, doors, windows or windscreen and that's fine because wearing a helmet you're only looking through a small piece of plastic which is easy to wipe clear. My least equipped car by far.

I knowingly reduced the ability of my RX7 to stop in slippy conditions to increase the stopping power on track in the dry with sticky tyres. It still took a few months of messing with master cylinders, brake bias and pad compounds to get a well balanced setup with repeatable high speed stopping power. Back on the road with "normal" tyres and the brakes can overpower the tyres grip with too much pedal pressure. I'm adjusted to it but I wouldn't simply hand over the keys to an unknown driver.

4. kaptainmarc

Mobster

The s2000 has little to no driver aids, certainly no VSA or traction control etc.

Had a brown pant moment 2 weeks into owning it and it certainly made me appreciate how much modern cars drive for you.
    had one instance pulling out a junction onto a slightly slippery surface and snaked a bit another brown moment

I do think the majority of the population would end up in a hedge without the driver aids, especially the SUV types that go roaring around corners like a bunch of lunatics.

5. Scania

Capodecina

Because on the few times it’s cut in (which is rare admittedly) it’s happened on a wet bend and I’ve found the T/C cutting in upsets the balance of the car much more than the little slip it’s trying to prevent.

If I could disable it permanently I would.

I turn it off in the truck too as it often cuts in just when you don’t want it to.

6. Acme

Caporegime

TBH the only times I've ever stuffed a car (twice), no amount of electronic assists would have helped because I was just being a donut. :p

Currently both of my cars have no assists at all, not even ABS, and both are RWD. I just drive cautiously in certain conditions, such as when the road surface is extremely wet. Particularly in the MX5 which has NS2R's fitted. When the back does go slightly it is easy to get it back in line again. I've not had any brown trouser moments. Usually any sideways action needs to be provoked. :p

7. ubersonic

Capodecina

Nope, I use a steering ball due to disability, couldn't drive more than a mile or two without PAS.

8. Nasher

Capodecina

It's fine, you just need a bigger steering wheel :D

9. vanpeebles

Soldato

You can't beat plenty of purchase :D

10. andicole0

Soldato

As others a V6 Ford Capri with no driver aids (oh that was on ice).

[​IMG]

Great fun back in the day, empty roads ah...
    Andi.

11. Acme

Caporegime

Mmmmmmm. Serck font.

12. andicole0

Soldato

All legit back then :)
    Andi.

13. Liquidfox

Mobster

I drove a 300BHP Focus ST225 for 5.5 years without any traction control or ESP. Didn't die, not even once.

14. Gibbo

Commissario

My Clio has zero driver aids, not even ABS.

My M3 is only ever driven DSC total off and I even have an ABS disable switch, but that I tend to only use on track to prevent ABS cutting as it comes in too early on a dry track on semi slick tyres.

The SVR I only really fully disable it in car parks to do skids. :D
    The Aston no, as its shared ownership, so I don't want to bin it. :D

15. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

Insurance is ridiculous, maintenance costs a fortune, and you can't get spare parts for love nor money...

Does that include where the aid is designed in? For instance, Hold Assist designed to augment electronic handbrakes which, in the aforementioned other thread, are often regarded as essential for such brakes?

16. Acme

Caporegime

Did you remove the ABS? :confused:

17. Gibbo

Commissario

Its a Cup model, has no ABS standard to get weight down to 1027kg from factory. Mine is around 990kg now. :)

18. Acme

Caporegime

Are you sure it has no ABS standard?

e; Oh wait is it a 172? I thought it was a 182, sorry! :p

19. something daft already!!

Mobster

I stopped driving about 15 years ago. I have never driven a car with driver aids.

20. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Thanks all, interesting views so far.

I am just old enough to have started out pretty much driver assist free, first go in a car was a V6 capri, and before I started official driving lessons I spent about 3-4 hours in my old mans Cav Sri on industrial estate car parks/feeder roads so, which also had no driver aids.
    My first "performance car" was a Celica gen 2, and I used to munch tyres. It was way too easy to get loads of wheel spin with a 20 year old driving like a muppet. Decent (for the time) tyres like P600 used to last about 3-4000 miles doh.

So I do understand and get the benefit these things add, I don't really get however on the road why you would really want to remove that backup, ok yes if its genuinely getting in the way, but unless your really pushing it how often would they trigger.
    I can think of the one time I triggered the DSC in one of my 2 minis, that was my fault, I was going too quickly round a fairly tight turn and it was close to freezing, so i was probably actually frozen on that corner. It kicked in straighten up and I thought phew that was close. Would I have caught it without the DSC, maybe, but it was active before I got the chance!

I think this is the issue for all newer drivers who haven't really had the experience of these older cars. Going back to my old e.g. vehicles. Things like high powered RWD cars were treated with some caution. I dont believe people now actually understand what sort of power they have a simple press of the accelerator away.