1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could you be friends with a person with a different world view?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by BowdonUK, Jan 26, 2020.

1. BowdonUK

Mobster

I was going to write in the subject 'political view', but I thought I'd broaden it out as there are many non-political views that can clash.

I was watching the latest LBC video with Iain Dale debating with a Guardian journalist who couldn't be a friends with a Tory.

Iain Dale fiercely rows with Guardian writer who couldn't be friends with a Tory | LBC

My own personal view is that Identity politics is a bad thing, and I see people who can't be friends because of a stereotype label as being part of Identity politics.

As some will know I'm a disabled guy and during my life I've met and talked to many people from all sides of the political spectrum, mostly on the far-right and some on the far left. I've liked some and not liked others. But I base that on their personality rather than the politics.

What are other peoples opinions? Do you have friends of different political/world views? Do you go out of your way to avoid people with different views than your own? Or do you make an effort to try and open communication up with them?

2. StriderX

Capodecina

If they're just a partisan hack, then no, if they can actually think, then yes.

I think this is rather simple for me, partisans are simply not people in the first place, they just wish to be the way they present themselves, because it's a comfy little group to be a part of (or they enjoy the contraire). Rather than actually resolving to find pragmatic solutions to social and economic issues, it's purely about ideological nonsense that drags society into the gutter, I can't realistically be friends with that, not unless politics is strictly off-limits.

It's gotten especially boring ever since political/outrage youtube became prominent, it's not their view at all, they've just found someone to deify and quote verbatim. Perhaps it's always been this way though, regardless of media.

Honestly, I'd say i don't really bother with politics 'IRL', the virtue signalling from either side can only be funny for so long before it starts being annoying and more than a tad delusional.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  3. Evangelion

Capodecina

Yes, of course you can. I have many friends with different worldviews. One of my own brothers is a racist, conspiracy-minded Trump supporter, but we're still friends.

4. RDM

Capodecina

It would depend upon how different their worldview was to be honest. I'm fairly central politically so left and right doesn't bother me, but I am not sure I could be friends with someone who was openly homophobic or racist. Their views would, eventually, cause issues with the rest of my friendship group.

5. robfosters

Caporegime

Yes I can be friends with anyone regardless of their political views.

It’s spurs fans I have a problem with :p

6. chroniclard

Capodecina

Depends if they are a massive idiot or not alongside it. :)

7. ltron

Wise Guy

Of course I can, my best friend and my dad are both raving Brexiteers and Tory/Brexit Party voters.

8. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Absolutely, if they have the capacity to reason.

9. ElliorR

Sgarrista

Depends. I couldn’t be friends with someone who is a huge Trump fan as that seems to go hand in hand with being morally bankrupt or thick as pig ****.

10. SPG

Soldato

Most Tory`s i come across are deluded tbh :) tolerated maybe as we are all grown ups. Friends highly unlikely

11. Yas786

Caporegime

:D

I have a few friends that are so completely at odds with me regarding politics. But we don’t or should I say I don’t bring up the subject of politics with them because it just ends up being a complete utter waste of time trying to make them see sense.

So yes I guess you can be friends with people that view the world differently than yourself. But just to reiterate I wouldn’t class them as very close friends, more acquaintances if anything.

12. nkata

Soldato

I have friends because I enjoy their company, I do not need to agree with them but if they have bad taste in music I may have to argue the point.

13. Mason-

Soldato

Yes and being young and conservative in a trendy tech company means I am friends with and have access to viewpoints opposed to my own all the time. I was at university too.

14. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

Never.
    It usually starts out fine, but there always comes a point of conflict as a result of that world view, and it usually manifests as some very minor quibble that escalates.

I don't have time to waste on things like that.

15. Stretch

Capodecina

It depends entirly on what those views are and the reason they hold them.

16. Stretch

Capodecina

What if you try and "reason" with them and they still don't see it your way :p

17. MrPotato

Wise Guy

Depends. No one will agree 100% with another person, let alone a stranger.
    Most of my beliefs are traditional, not too traditional, mind.
    But quite often, I don't betray my beliefs, but I don't create unnecessary conflict.
    Someone can have a total opposite view about pretty much everything, but for me the deal breaker is values. Can't stand vermin, parasites, backstabbers, thieves or greedy.

18. efish

Wise Guy

I don't actually know many Conservative voters. That's down to living in central belt Scotland. Certainly some, in my locality most occupy the posh houses up the road.

More a class/ social/ cultural thing that I don't know them rather than political difference. The few I do know, politics causes little issues as they share similar libertarian/ liberal values.

An authoritarian member of the right I would have considerable difficulties with but then little different from dealing with an authoritarian member of the left.

With an authoritarian right winger I have no common ground no shared value system unless we share some other non-political cultural/ social activity in common.

19. The_Abyss

Capodecina

That’s absolutely fine.

20. Apex

Capodecina

exactly. the answer to the thread title is yes. and no.