• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Couple of questions about i5 2500k OC

Associate
Hi i have had a a 4.6 ghz on my system for around 9 months.
The problem is recently i started getting freezes in Battlefield 3, i put this down to an OC i had on my HD 6970 GPU so went back to stock settings but still crashes in BF3!
So someone mentied it could be my CPU OC, i thought i doubt it i have had it at 4.6 for 9 months and BF3 since release.
But i thought i would go back to stock settings and sure enough the game didn't freeze anymore!
So i have a few questions if you could help.

1: Why would an OC that's been fine start to become unstable, i don't think its a heat issue i blew all dust out of system and and use core temp and it only hits around 70c under load.

2: After this i thought i would use the ASUS software with the auto tune as people said these were pretty stable and i thought this would be a quick fix until i go and do it manualy through the bios again.
I tried the FAST and EXTREME method and even on the lowest clock which gave me around 4.3 ghz it becomes unstable under intelburn!
I noticed with the auto method it uses BLCK as well usualy sets it to 103, i thought its best to leave this option alone as does it make OC more unstable, i mean when i OC i go by the multiplyer and don't touch the BLCk setting.

3: I notice when people use Intelburn they say test 5-10 times, now does this mean if you continued to use Intelburn it will make any OC unstable?
The reason i ask is i set it to 20 passes on High and it crashed on around the 14th pass where some people would have stopped at 10.

Sorry about the long winded questions, any help would be apreciated.
Guy

Associate
OP
Hi think it was around 1.325 and i dont get an error message in BF3 it just freezes, the whole system locks and i have to reboot but with no OC it stopped it, so trying to find a nice stable OC.
Thanks

Associate
OP
Welli have just been into the bios and Vcore was 1.35 i have changed to 1.36, also the LLC is set to extreme and vccid 1.1 and ppl 1.9 if thats any help?
Also how many runs of intelburn is a good test as i mentioned will intelburn make any OC crash after enough passes?
thanks

Associate
OP
I just done an intel burn test and 2 cores went to 83c and 84c is that ok?
I know you should get that kind of load in games but even core temp changes the colour of the temps when they hit 81c and higher like thats a warning.
Prime 95 only gets core temp into its 70s is that more accuarte for loads of every day use?
Thanks

Soldato
How high was your ambient temp? I get 85C tops in IBT/LINX, but thats with 4.8GHz 1.38v and 30C ambient, in normal (i.e no heating on to max for test) i get about 74-76C, cooled by a Noctua NHD-14.. which considering its in an ancient Antec P180 case thats more about silence than great cooling.. is good.

Back
Top Bottom