Courier charging a extra £45+ VAT for delivering a item

Soldato
I had a similar thing happen to me with Parcels2go a few years ago.

I had sold an item on Ebay and when it was delivered they attempted to do the same. I simply pointed them to the auction that I had listed and showed them that the item was well under the limits. Then I pointed out either they were attempting to scam me or parcel force were attempting to scam them. They soon went quite.

Soldato
OP
I used paypal so I dont think they can charge me.

I have disputed it and They have requested further information from parcelforce, lets see what happens.

I think they should have given me a option or checked it before collection.

all this and they could only add 5cm

Man of Honour
I would certainly be demanding proof from them and advising them I am happy to pay once proof is received. Without proof they wouldn't win a court claim.

Soldato
images with size as proof, I dont know anyone who would take a photo of a packaged item never mind with a measurement showing size

Get tape measure out, package sommot thats like 130cm, use same wrapping paper or style or box etc, take pics, send em pics, sorted

Edit: maybe parcelforces ruler starts at 10cm, if inaccurate you wouldnt want to pay would you :D

Soldato
Either ignore it at your own risk or I'd check with Parcelforce or whatever - normally these kind of things should be dealt with upfront - you should have some kind of contractual agreement to redress them in violation of whatever terms otherwise they don't have a leg to stand on.
What do you suggest the risk would be?

Man of Honour
What do you suggest the risk would be?

I meant it in an open ended way - its possible someone might have contract law on their side but they may or may not bother chasing it up. It wasn't meant in an "ignore it at your own peril" kind of way more you might choose to ignore it hoping for the best.

Soldato
I meant it in an open ended way - its possible someone might have contract law on their side but they may or may not bother chasing it up. It wasn't meant in an "ignore it at your own peril" kind of way more you might choose to ignore it hoping for the best.
I was just curious. I have first hand experience of something similar happening, with both Parcel Force and UPS. They both threatened police action, but this was because they actually couldn't do anything about the situation.

A brief overview of the situations were:

Parcelforce:

I refused to pay their handling fee, and I argued them into submission over their right to actually hold my parcel. They eventually handed it over, I offered to reimburse them only for the VAT. They stated that they accept all or nothing. So I opted got nothing and took my parcel anyway.

UPS:

I had 2 guitars and 2 bass guitars delivered from America. The driver allowed me to open and inspect them all before realising that there were fees attached. I expected fees, but these were well in excess of what they were supposed to be.

The seller had also sent some concerning messages after they were dispatched.

The UPS guy wanted me to package them all up and give them back. I politely refused and referenced the concerning message the seller sent (it was along the lines of how they aren't willing to take responsibility for any issues even if it's their own fault).

Anyway, I politely refused, they guy called head office and I had a talk with them. Again I refused to package them back up and stated that they weren't leaving.

A week or so later, I got a knock on the door from the UPS collections department from like 40 miles away.

He wanted the guitars back, and threatened police action again. He even dropped this great line "we're friendly with the police around here, so they do favours for us."

He wasn't particularly pleased when I told him that I'm aware of how the police work, and that I know they're aren't gonna get involved with a civil matter.

I was actually on the door step with the guy for an hour rejecting every way he rephrased "can you box the guitars up and give them to us?" He told a few lies to try and get me to go along with him. Mainly claiming that they were legally their property, it was theft and whatever other variation he could think up.

Anyway, after an hour he realised he wasn't getting what he wanted, he decided to go. But the most bizarre part is that he thanked me for being civil, as he isn't used to having to pay a visit to someone who doesn't just kick off and shout. He said he'd be back, I haven't heard anything from them in about 2 years I think?

Anyway, the point I'm making is that I think both of those situations would warrant a stronger response than the OP's, and yet they did nothing. So I hight highly doubt that they're going to do anything at all to the OP beyond sending some letters with false claims on it.

Man of Honour
Ultimately even when the law is on their side - or at least the terms in their contract would potentially give them a case pending whatever was decided in court - it just isn't worth their time over the money involved to take it to court with the cost and time it would incur even if they got a win. But you never know.

Caporegime
I was actually on the door step with the guy for an hour rejecting every way he rephrased "can you box the guitars up and give them to us?" He told a few lies to try and get me to go along with him. Mainly claiming that they were legally their property, it was theft and whatever other variation he could think up.

Why on earth did you let him stay there for an hour? You've got every right to ask someone to leave your property and frankly after you've had a brief conversation and said no he has no grounds to be there any longer. [keyboard warrior mode]You're within your rights to use reasonable force to remove someone if they refuse to leave[/keyboard warrior mode], if you're not comfortable doing something like that you could simply step back and close the door then ring the police if he persists on ringing your doorbell/harassing you from outside.

Soldato
Why on earth did you let him stay there for an hour? You've got every right to ask someone to leave your property and frankly after you've had a brief conversation and said no he has no grounds to be there any longer. [keyboard warrior mode]You're within your rights to use reasonable force to remove someone if they refuse to leave[/keyboard warrior mode], if you're not comfortable doing something like that you could simply step back and close the door then ring the police if he persists on ringing your doorbell/harassing you from outside.

Oh I am well aware that I could have asked him to leave, given his multiple threats of police action, I could have actually taken police action if I wanted to. I was trying to be reasonable though, and I opted to argue the situation down. I like to think it worked because the most I got was a few more letters asking me to pay the £3-400. The funny thing about the initial delivery is that the driver kept asking me whether I was sure I didn't have it on me.

@spoffle

Did you get any letters or emails or was it all face to face.

I got a few letters. There isn't much they can do though. Even if they pass it on to a debt collection agency, they aren't gonna do anything more than send you letters telling you what they "may" do. They aren't going to do anything.

Associate
I've just had a new sideshow collectables figure delivered, cost was $230 or something and DHL charges where £47 in total for customs etc. They delieverd it before I paid and I kept getting automated messages on my home phone to pay which I did within a day of delivery.

In short, I only buy from abroad if I really really want the item and clench my butt cheeks in preparation for the courier charges.

I think the worst was UPS who slapped charges of £130 on an item worth $450.

Back
Top Bottom