Courtesy cars!

Caporegime
Took my Polo in for a clutch, was loaned the mechanics 2002 Vauxhall Vivaro van to drive to work in... It was considerably quicker than the polo... :o

Only courtesy 'car' experience I have personally.

But I remember my Dad being given a 1.0 Corsa B as a courtesy car years ago when he took his Astra 1.6 estate in for repairs. He said he loved it, because he could thrash it all over the place, and it made a good noise because of the tiny 3 cylinder motor. :p

Caporegime
If they try to give me a KA I will just get my car serviced elsewhere, I am not going to drive a shoe box. :D

Oi, you ungrateful git, at least with a Ka you can drive it with the hammer down everywhere. It'll be a visceral experience with all four (three?) pistons trying to smash their way through the head while you're going 30mph.

You can't do that in a Mustang :D

Soldato
I had a Chevrolet Cruze 1.6 LS a few years ago for 3 weeks as a courtesy car, it was brand new pretty much with about 1k on the clock.

It was horrific, I could only manage an average of about 25MPG out of it and it was utterly gutless.

What is the point in such a gutless car with such poor fuel economy?

Soldato
My last courtesy car, i tend to get better ones now with BMW :D

24127838744_4a5165d190_b.jpg

24388412399_14a3fa4b6f_b.jpg

24729799896_010cbc7cb9_b.jpg

24127905324_78e69ed818_b.jpg

Soldato
I was given a 51 plate automatic mini cooper when my car was having its inspection 2 being done. I immediately got on the wrong side of it by the remote locking not working and the alarms going off when I used the key etc...

I then managed to nudge the gear lever to the left (into manual / sport mode) at one point whilst pottering around the industrial estate back towards the dual carriageway. I arrive at the dual carriageway, floor it and... it doesn't change gear! I'm doing 45 in first wondering what the **** is happening fiddling with the shifter trying to get it to change. It also felt incredibly loose, creaky and vague.

Soldato
Porsche have been quite good with me, I have had a few caymans's, Boxster's, cayenne and once I had a 911 C4S PDK for a week which I took up to the highlands and did something like 1200 miles (I told them in advance) which was nice.

I did once get a fiesta which I was not too pleased about. I have a Macan S booked in a couple of weeks.

Associate
Fiat 500 1.2 8v when my Mondeo was rear ended. Totally scratched up, missing wheel trims etc, the car was 1 year old but looked like it had been through a warzone.

A terrible little car, but like all underpowered manual gearbox cars, more enjoyable to drive than powerful cars - redline in every gear keeping up with normal traffic on the M11, ridiculously inert and light steering and an alarming propensity to lift off oversteer.

I can confirm the 0-60mph time is approximately 17 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDABNLoFGWk

Getting into my mk4 Mondeo was truly like getting into a Rolls Royce after a month in that.

Don
the best I've had was a vw UP!

I had a VW Up from the company who refurbished my wheels. It was truly a horrible thing, even as tiny cars go, and I don't know why people rave about them so much.

Had one of these a couple of years ago for a couple of days - absolutely loved it, small engine that loved to be revved, go kart handling - nearest feeling to driving a classic mini, so chuckable.

Had a few courtesy cars from Audi over the last few years but nothing out of the norm: A3 convertible, new A3 when they first came out, A4, A5, A6 - All diesels unfortunately.

Associate
Got my car serviced recently and I got this bad boy for the day!

20160212_094000.png_zpsn9uz3l8d.jpeg

Was a hoot! The best thing is that there are a load of no-car lanes on the way to and from work. Just bypassed all the queues as a van man!

Last edited:
Soldato
991 Carrera 2s in March 2013, when it was about 2c outside. I'd had the car about 15 minutes and booted it off a roundabout with my friend and two kids in the back. I promptly let go of any bodily control as the car slipped sideways! luckily the electronics kicked in.

Gave the car back at the end of the day with another 260 miles on the clock and absolutely filthy. Looking forward to asking for a 991.2 this year.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Once had a Rover City Rover as courtesy car - the rebadged Tata?
It was beyond awful. The seating position literally gave me cramps to the pont I couldn't use the clutch properly.
It had no power and leaned wildly on any bend. I nearly did slide off the seat in that one!

Others are the usual fair of small cars. Some of the Corsas are surpsingly nippy and quite fun zipping up and down the gears.

My Dad once had an Omega 3l V6 Elite when they were new. That was a nice car. Very comfy and very quick!

Ome amusing point was a hire car I had. it had to be an auto and I ended up with a Merc C Class. Best was one of my company directors with me ended up in a 1 litre Polo :)

Oh, and never, ever accept a Chevrolet Lacetta auto as a courtsey car....

Back
Top Bottom