COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Soldato
So we're back at the peak again, is this people who've had Omicron being infected by the new BA.2 variant or is that original infection providing any additional protection?

Just feels like we are going to be catching a new variant of covid every few months. Even if its mild its still a pain in the arse and lets not forget that for those who are vulnerable this makes life extremely difficult.

Man of Honour
Ok, so you are saying there has been a 22% increase of deaths caused by covid (not with covid)?

The problem is, covid may have triggered other illnesses or conditions or acted as a catalyst (in albeit more vulnerable people[in general]) - however I'm sort of with you on this, that covid by itself hasn't actually killed that many people considering the large number reported. Does that mean it isn't responsible for deaths? That's more a point of view really and point of perspective.

Regardless, it has impacted a lot of people, either through illness, directly or indirectly, caused huge amount of neuroses in people, triggered significant mental health issues, and caused a massive increase in domestic issues owing to lockdowns etc... As well as a strange divide in society, that is actually mending now when you spend time in town, but people still seem a little tribal at times.

So whilst covid may or may not be relatively benign - the larger unintended consequences have been severe.

Had covid not been around, then a lot of those unintended consequences wouldn't have occured. Though I appreciate that it's not that straightforward.

Having been a staunch "lol covid" since the beginning, now I've gone back to normal life over the past year or so (travelling abroad, seeing friends, living life) I've softened my view. That said, I still believe that people are entitled to believe whatever they want, and their opinions are just as valid as anyone else's (i.e. vaccines, face masks, contact with people etc...) - I personally have made an effort not to judge or be dismissive of other perspectives and points of view - unfortunately it isn't often reciprocated, but that's fine.

Personally, and amongst my group of friends/family, we're still relatively blazé about it - sure, probably to some that's ignorant and pathetic, but I'm happy enough in my skin to take the criticism.

Last edited:
Soldato
So we're back at the peak again, is this people who've had Omicron being infected by the new BA.2 variant or is that original infection providing any additional protection?

Just feels like we are going to be catching a new variant of covid every few months. Even if its mild its still a pain in the arse.
That will basically be the case yes. Like flu etc.

Soldato
I appreciate people are upset/angry/frustrated that there are 3 main things going wrong at the moment and will prioritise what they think they need to. It doesn't make the others go away though.

The thing about covid that I don't understand is that when there were restrictions, people didn't like it, there is barely anything you need to accomodate anymore. Why on earth are people still shouting at nature? If you want to ignore it, just do that.

You don't catch flu every few months though, you might get it a handful of times in your life. I'm nearly 40 and never had it (as an adult anyway).

Exactly.

Associate
You don't catch flu every few months though, you might get it a handful of times in your life. I'm nearly 40 and never had it (as an adult anyway).

Be glad, I and my family have had confirmed variants of it three times in the the years prior to covid and it was brutal. Unavoidable side effect of being a carer to someone very vulnerable to respiratory illness ,who goes to a special needs school where some parents send their kids in regardless of how ill they are.

My son hasn't been in full time school for over five years now, he was just building up again as covid starting spreading so we pulled him back out prior to the government sorting out their advice.

He has had some in home school support in place since things have improved but in the past week or so the school have been hit by heavy absences due to covid. They only ever had the odd case both in staff and students prior the dropping of all guidlines.

The interesting thing is teachers still get tests paid for but LSAs/support workers have to pay for their own. They are on lower wages but do the majority of the hands on learning and personal care work.

I am personally struggling with the day to stuff like shopping, as we could never reliably get delivery slots or what we needed with the priority slots (which have ended now anyway) and any semblance of personal space is non-existent in any supermarket again.

bingo!

People don't get this, they also don't get that how many times do you want something where there is a growing body of evidence of long term health implications, people that say "it's just like flu now" are in cloud cuko land.

Soldato
Flu mutates far more than covid does so people will catch that far more often in their lifetimes. Even now with the vaccine for most people it’s no worse than a cold. Time to move on. Everyone else is.

Soldato
Flu mutates far more than covid does so people will catch that far more often in their lifetimes. Even now with the vaccine for most people it’s no worse than a cold. Time to move on. Everyone else is.

We have moved on haven’t we? In what way haven’t we? Are we not allowed to discuss this anymore? Thought police! :D

I would argue your statement about flu infection frequency is incorrect btw, but feel free to prove me wrong.

Maybe it's down to annual vaccination?

Associate
So where’s this report into the Government’s disasterous response to covid then. It was promised to start in Spring. It’s spring. Boris got the Broom and lifted the carpet again?

Soldato

Guess we'll see in time how often covid re-infects as things settle but I've never known flu to spread around a workplace the way covid does. Apparently the average for catching flu is twice a decade for adults.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31698038

Soldato

People confuse actual flu with man flu or the common cold

Ok, so you are saying there has been a 22% increase of deaths caused by covid (not with covid)?

Covid cases go up, deaths go up, you'd have to be pretty stupid to not see a correlation there

Soldato
But if I can prove I have immunity what's annoying Is the inconsistent approach where some countries will accept lft proof rather than pcr.

Uk and Netherlands will let anyone in. Dubai anyone with a test.

Etc

Sad its Germany’s choice have to be so strict.

Yet we know they let in maybe 1/4 million people from ukraine via the Polish border without even a test let alone vaccination - which is selective application of the rules.

I know this sounds harsh, but you knew when you didn’t get vaccinated it might impact your ability to travel. Eyes open and all that.

Back
Top Bottom