COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Soldato
Soldato
It is just a pity that they do not state what the risk was originally and what a 33 fold increase would entail. That way would lead to a more informed discussion.

Misrepresenting these stats has been the hallmark of covid - where I live had a massive 50% increase in covid cases reported in the press (increasing from 2 people to 4)..

Still sells papers and keeps a certain section of the population living in fear.

Soldato
I had Covid a few weeks ago which I caught from the gym and to be honest I've had worst colds.. I did give it my kids ages 12 to 21 whom all had no symptoms at all. The wife never caught it..

Man of Honour
The only symptom I'm experiencing after a brief runny nose is brutal nausea. Feel like I'm on the verge of throwing up for hours but nothing comes, finally throw up and feel better for an hour, rinse and repeat. I'd take a cough over this! Still only a very faint second line on the LFT

Associate
Misrepresenting these stats has been the hallmark of covid - where I live had a massive 50% increase in covid cases reported in the press (increasing from 2 people to 4).
Wouldn't that be a 100% increase? :eek: :p

But I know what you mean. I think I've probably mentioned this before, but the BBC Radio 4 programme More Or Less does a good analysis of dodgy statistics in the news and is always worth a listen. It doesn't help when so many people appear not to have any critical thinking skills or a basic understanding of risk.

Meanwhile, I just added to the statistics by testing positive this morning :(

Associate
Being forced back into the main office next week, to sit amongst 40 odd people with poor ventilation and no distancing. Pointless tbh as I remote to the same machine I do from home but hey, management wanting to be seen managing.

Is it still the thought it can be caught via the eyes? If so I'll have to wear glasses along with a reusable GVS P3 mask. Tried some disposable masks but very uncomfortable for 8 hours.

Soldato
It is just a pity that they do not state what the risk was originally and what a 33 fold increase would entail. That way would lead to a more informed discussion.

It's not that hard to look up...

https://www.google.com/search?q=pulmonary+embolism+per+100000

As an added aside, it's estimated that around 10% of in-hospital deaths are as a direct result, so a 33x increased chance is significant wouldn't you say? And questions somewhat the 28 day rule and the deaths "with covid or from covid" trope.

Soldato
Soldato
Being forced back into the main office next week, to sit amongst 40 odd people with poor ventilation and no distancing. Pointless tbh as I remote to the same machine I do from home but hey, management wanting to be seen managing.

Is it still the thought it can be caught via the eyes? If so I'll have to wear glasses along with a reusable GVS P3 mask. Tried some disposable masks but very uncomfortable for 8 hours.
Wearing glasses is a good idea if you can as it can be caught through the eyes although that's definitely not the main route of transmission.

Soldato
I was just about to post that :cry:. Remeber when there was all that controversy about Astrazeneca, I said on here that early evidence showed that the risk of blood clots from Covid was much greater than from any vaccine, now that has been confirmed beyond all doubt.

Yes, rather concerning though being that COVID isn't going away any time soon. At least if the problem had been with some vaccines they'd most likely get ditched in favour of some new vaccine or anti viral treatment. We don't get the same level of control over ditching COVID unfortunately.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I was just about to post that :cry:. Remeber when there was all that controversy about Astrazeneca, I said on here that early evidence showed that the risk of blood clots from Covid was much greater than from any vaccine, now that has been confirmed beyond all doubt.

Very small on something already small is pretty much nothing...... The positive outweighs the negative so much its not even worth talking about but people will.

Soldato

Bonkers decision, right at what will likely be the peak of infections in the wild over the next few weeks and some wont bother getting tested to confirm suspected symptoms or be using the NHS COVID app to ping others they've been in contact with.

Associate
Wearing glasses is a good idea if you can as it can be caught through the eyes although that's definitely not the main route of transmission.

Thanks, will make sure to wear some.

Bonkers decision, right at what will likely be the peak of infections in the wild over the next few weeks and some wont bother getting tested to confirm suspected symptoms or be using the NHS COVID app to ping others they've been in contact with.

I know, I'm not happy about it. Used lots of holiday last year booking off the one a week day in the office but it wasn't going down well. Had to do an occupation health interview, and for the last month had been going to another room on location but senior management want everyone back in the main office. I have a few days holiday left so may take them depending on how I feel closer to the day which they won't be happy with.

Soldato
Thanks, will make sure to wear some.

I know, I'm not happy about it. Used lots of holiday last year booking off the one a week day in the office but it wasn't going down well. Had to do an occupation health interview, and for the last month had been going to another room on location but senior management want everyone back in the main office. I have a few days holiday left so may take them depending on how I feel closer to the day which they won't be happy with.

I doubt they'll be too happy when ~10% of their workforce fall sick either.

Soldato
Anyone who just thinks this is just the flu, a cough or a cold is very much mistaken. You might be lucky if you're young and shake it off without any issue but I've had symptoms for over 5 weeks now. Literally didn't get to sleep at all last night as I was coughing my lungs up. At 5am I thought blow it and called 111. The attitude is if you're not about to actually keel over and maybe die right away you can just wait in the holding pen of your home and they'll chance whether you pull through ok. Bombarded with tick box questions rather than listening to the fact I already had symptoms for 4 weeks before catching COVID on top of whatever it was that I had first. So essentially I've caught COVID on top of pre existing similar illness, maybe a COVID strain which didn't trigger a positive LFT. I've so far had an arse covering 111 response about an hour ago to say they hadn't forgotten me and I am still due to receive a clinician call. This is now 8 1/2 hours after my initial 111 call. I was originally told I ought to receive a clinician call within about an hour, so around 6am.

Soldato
Very small on something already small is pretty much nothing...... The positive outweighs the negative so much its not even worth talking about but people will.
I don't see any positives in catching Covid when the more people that catch it the more it mutates in a way that's favourable to the virus, presenting a moving target to our immune system. This means reinfections galore and we are trusting to luck that it will continually mutate into a more benign form, but this is far from guaranteed as the virus' goal is increased transmission not lower severity per se.

It also makes it much harder from a vaccine point of view as they just can't keep up with an ever more infectious and immune evasive virus (unless the vaccines that work against all current and future variants come to fruition).

There are low effort things the government could do in terms of increasing ventilation, testing wastewater (sewage) extensively (much cheaper and easier than relying on LFTs to monitor the situation from their point of view, although LFTs should still be used so that people know if they are infected) and boosting sick pay and allowing those who want to work from home to do so by enshrining it in law. However, they are not doing them for ideological reasons and because they want to wish problems away.

When we get a pandemic with ten to fifty times the death rate I hope we don't make the same mistakes again. Also, the same applies to the climate emergency which is a much greater crisis than Covid if we again do not do enough to preempt it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone who just thinks this is just the flu, a cough or a cold is very much mistaken. You might be lucky if you're young and shake it off without any issue but I've had symptoms for over 5 weeks now. Literally didn't get to sleep at all last night as I was coughing my lungs up. At 5am I thought blow it and called 111. The attitude is if you're not about to actually keel over and maybe die right away you can just wait in the holding pen of your home and they'll chance whether you pull through ok. Bombarded with tick box questions rather than listening to the fact I already had symptoms for 4 weeks before catching COVID on top of whatever it was that I had first. So essentially I've caught COVID on top of pre existing similar illness, maybe a COVID strain which didn't trigger a positive LFT. I've so far had an arse covering 111 response about an hour ago to say they hadn't forgotten me and I am still due to receive a clinician call. This is now 8 1/2 hours after my initial 111 call. I was originally told I ought to receive a clinician call within about an hour, so around 6am.

yeah, I’m about 5 weeks in. Still coughing. Still tired after doing anything, sometimes for a couple of days. Still bringing up rubbery mucous. I’m (or was) healthy with no pre existing conditions.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The answer to all of your doom posting is "IF" you can only deal what it put in front of you, yes we could plan a little better but we wont.

IF we get a pandemic 50times the death rate then expect to die so plan for yourself accordingly.

Again the vaccine was develop to stop medical services being overrun, its done its job if more hits then something else will de developed (hopefully) so you might as well carry on with your life and try to be happy. Of course if living in a doom world of "If`s" is your cup of tea then have at it. Its not for me to be honest.

Man of Honour
Speak to your GP? I'm not sure what sort of emergency response you expect from them for an ongoing cough.

Back
Top Bottom