COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Man of Honour
What I have a problem with is when people can't understand that sometimes things become necessary regardless of personal beliefs or ideals or even things which are very important. Like those who still believe that fitness is a magic bullet for COVID and if people just hit the gym more and loaded up on the vitamin supplements none of this would have happened vs that having a part to play but doesn't magically stop COVID...

Man of Honour
What I have a problem with is when people can't understand that sometimes things become necessary regardless of personal beliefs or ideals or even things which are very important. Like those who still believe that fitness is a magic bullet for COVID and if people just hit the gym more and loaded up on the vitamin supplements none of this would have happened vs that having a part to play but doesn't magically stop COVID...
I've definitely got it a few times despite being fit. Especially if you have children there likelihood is high. I think if you think you can't get it or you'll never get it is pretty daft.

Soldato
I've definitely got it a few times despite being fit. Especially if you have children there likelihood is high. I think if you think you can't get it or you'll never get it is pretty daft.
Why does every keep saying everyone will get it? That will only happen if people do nothing to stem it. Ah right.

It kills people and/or can causes long term conditions. Why are people so selfish?

Man of Honour
Why does every keep saying everyone will get it? That will only happen if people do nothing to stem it. Ah right.

It kills people and/or can causes long term conditions. Why are people so selfish?

Most say it to justify their selfish actions but ostensibly few people will escape it who are any way part of a society - but so far none of my family seem to have had it - some have been testing regularly throughout due to their jobs so it is unlikely we've had it asymptomatically. My relatives have generally escaped it some exceptions aside as well. Much of that possibly comes down to acting appropriately but I believe my close family are mostly of a blood type which seems to have higher resistance to COVID than average.

Soldato
Most say it to justify their selfish actions but ostensibly few people will escape it who are any way part of a society - but so far none of my family seem to have had it - some have been testing regularly throughout due to their jobs so it is unlikely we've had it asymptomatically. My relatives have generally escaped it some exceptions aside as well. Much of that possibly comes down to acting appropriately but I believe my close family are mostly of a blood type which seems to have higher resistance to COVID than average.

You mean the most common blood type, O?

Man of Honour
You mean the most common blood type, O?

There is also a break down of the types of O and susceptibility to COVID infection it isn't as simple as just the 4 key types.

There isn't sufficient information on it so far so I only add it to my post above speculatively as one possibly explanation rather than it necessarily being just down to wearing masks, etc.

Soldato
There is also a break down of the types of O and susceptibility to COVID infection it isn't as simple as just the 4 key types.

There isn't sufficient information on it so far so I only add it to my post above speculatively as one possibly explanation rather than it necessarily being just down to wearing masks, etc.

Yes, O- is better than O+, but O in general is more protective than all other blood types, last I recall.

Associate
I've caught it a second time this weekend. Its a nasty flu type symptoms to me this time thankfully. It put me in Hospital for 10 days on a ventilator first time around.

Man of Honour

I think the fact that hardcore lockdown places like China and so on have had spreads are fairly clear evidence that even the hardest of protection doesn't seem to be enough. Does that mean we shouldn't be careful? No of course not. But obsession over 0 COVID is an unnecessary distraction.

Soldato
But obsession over 0 COVID is an unnecessary distraction.
This is what I meant by denier language. Did that come from Fox news or JRM? I can just imagine if they said that about HIV.

Sorry Freefailer I feel like it may seem I am picking on you but I feel you have been sucked in by what you want to hear rather than think about it logically. The reason they keep having mass lockdowns is because it keeps getting out of control.

Associate
You assume that people are stupid but what if they are going somewhere that requires a mask but can't be bothered to keep taking it on and off, what if they know they are infected but would rather wear a mask than self isolate?
What has that got to do with the effectiveness of wearing masks outside?

Soldato
Still seeing the odd weirdo walking around outside with a mask on :cry:
That might be me occassionally if Im walking to some where that I would wear a mask in, like the shops or medical places or if Im meeeting people that are at greater risk of having complications from covid. For me the weirdos are those that dont wear masks in shops. I just dont get why. Its like some sort of defiance for some of them like old Foxy.

Man of Honour
This is what I meant by denier language. Did that come from Fox news or JRM? I can just imagine if they said that about HIV.

Sorry Freefailer I feel like it may seem I am picking on you but I feel you have been sucked in by what you want to hear rather than think about it logically. The reason they keep having mass lockdowns is because it keeps getting out of control.
It's ok I'm the one making somewhat controversial statements I don't feel picked on at all. You're being polite anyway. Besides I'm big and bad enough to not be bothered about some words from strangers let alone on the internet :)

Ok so lockdowns keep happening because they're put of control. That's understandable. But without having everyone in hermetically sealed homes and without society crumbling to a halt, or the economy stalling beyond recovery what do we do? How do we ensure our children are educated and get a normal childhood - especially when 99% of them had little to no issues. Anyway, regardless of that, there will be a vector for transmission somewhere at some point. The factory workers, power station workers, police, doctors, food distribution, water treatment, delivery personnel etc... All the stuff that's needed for day to day modern society to operate.

As soon as you have movement of people it has a chance of spreading. And forbidding travel and/or work can only work for a limited time. Free money from furlough has to be paid back. And those in critical care still need treatment and have to get to hospital etc...

What do you do after that? And how long for? What's the strategy for 0 COVID which has dramatically failed across the world despite very strict enforcement and fines etc? I've not seen anything that stopped waves or the spread so far unless I've missed something? If there was something guaranteed to stop it and it effectively died off because of lack of spreading, like a hard lockdown for say 4 weeks I'm sure most people would be ok with it - but how do you get people food, and keep the lights on and the water flowing etc... Without people moving and potentially transmitting? Again I accept I'm probably a little thick about it.

I admit I'm not an expert and I'm possibly not the brightest tool in the shed, but I do ok so that's good enough for me. However, to a simpleton like myself and from what I've seen / read / understood we've got to a stage now where it is suggested by people who know about this stuff, this relying more heavily on our immune systems following vaccination is the best way to go so that we can effectively "live with it".

Do I like how the government have handled it? No. Do I think they made a mess of it? Yes. Do I blame the general populace for their divisiveness on the rules and the government? No. Poor leadership, lies and prevarication led us to where we got to. Despite despising the rules, and the curtailment of freedoms and so on the majority sucked it up and here we are.

I admit I probably shouldn't post as I do tend to wind people up since I have a very different outlook on life the universe than a lot of people in this thread. But it's a bit like a mouth ulcer you keep poking it.

Back
Top Bottom