Covid-19: Thousands of unwanted vehicles stored at Rockingham

Soldato
The story is another click bait example.
The City Auction Group are based at Rockingham and hold weekly auctions at the site. Doubtful these cars are ‘stored’ there for long - It’s more of a car transition hub.

:: Edit ::
Found the list of cars up for auction next Tuesday : https://www.cityauctiongroup.com/auction/214

Last edited:
Soldato
The story is another click bait example.
The City Auction Group are based at Rockingham and hold weekly auctions at the site. Doubtful these cars are ‘stored’ there for long - It’s more of a car transition hub.

:: Edit ::
Found the list of cars up for auction next Tuesday : https://www.cityauctiongroup.com/auction/214

Absolutely.

Much of the media has no concept of the scale of vehicle logistics and storage in the UK, whether it be new or used vehicles.

Taking just the new side, a typical March has over half a million cars and vans registered in the month. If most of those vehicles are already physically in the UK at the start of the month, can you imagine what that looks like? It dwarfs the volumes you can see in the pictures here.

The same applies to used: the number of vehicles on some form of 3 or 4 year contract that go through some sort of facility at the end of the term is huge. And as SDK says they typically dont hang around for long.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
They've missed the other few thousand cars that'll be at the Gefco site just down the road as well and that place has always been stuffed full of cars since I was a kid, it's nothing new.
The worst bit of this is the waste of what was a decent venue that me and my dad used to watch being built and then visited many times a year before all the events started disappearing.

Soldato
Mostly makes me sad about Rockingham closing as a circuit, i always really wanted to go and watch BTCC there but never got round to it :(

As for the cars, they all look like an assortment of terribleness, small engined crossovers and superminis which i guess makes sence as it implies they're ex lease. but as said i'm sure the turn over there is pretty epic so they won't be sat for long, if it was long term im sure they'd park them with less gaps as it looks like its setup for easy access to whatever stock is there.

Caporegime
I’d guess a fair few of those are probably new, just like the chassis cab HGV’s parked there, that’s new trucks waiting for the bodybuilders not used...

Usual media telling half the story and most likely way off on facts.

Soldato
Absolutely.

Much of the media has no concept of the scale of vehicle logistics and storage in the UK, whether it be new or used vehicles.

Taking just the new side, a typical March has over half a million cars and vans registered in the month. If most of those vehicles are already physically in the UK at the start of the month, can you imagine what that looks like? It dwarfs the volumes you can see in the pictures here.

The same applies to used: the number of vehicles on some form of 3 or 4 year contract that go through some sort of facility at the end of the term is huge. And as SDK says they typically dont hang around for long.
Exactly - there is a large field in Bicester which is used for holding new/used cars before they are sent on their way. Car sales are down but the numbers changing hands is still massive.

I guess this is a news worthy story because it's an old race track and looks better in the photos than a big space of grass and mud :p

Soldato
I was lucky enough to be a BTCC photographer at Rockingham, it's sorely missed :(

Wow that's amazing, i always looked forward to rockinham, always had good racing and looked a really good track.

We used to regularly go to Oulton and been to Donnington a few times but like i say i always really wanted to go there as the viewing looked brilliant being able to see the infield from the stands but due to life (having kids a couple of years ago) just never got round to going there :(

Soldato
Wow that's amazing, i always looked forward to rockinham, always had good racing and looked a really good track.

We used to regularly go to Oulton and been to Donnington a few times but like i say i always really wanted to go there as the viewing looked brilliant being able to see the infield from the stands but due to life (having kids a couple of years ago) just never got round to going there :(

The best bit for the public was being able to stand on the pit garage roof and watch the mechanics etc in action :)

Man of Honour
If they needed them that badly they wouldnt have got rid of them.

What? They were not 'got rid of' by private owners. Many are ex rental - they come off the fleet at a certain age and mileage which balances both a consumers desire to rent new vehicles with the demand on the market for low mileage nearly new used cars.

Soldato
What I want to know is how on earth do you keep track of all the keys? I'm guessing some sort of "location map". That looks entertaining from a logistics POV.

Back
Top Bottom