CPU and Motherboard recommendation

Associate
I am looking to buy a new CPU and motherboard for my 4K gaming PC and am after recommendations :)

Existing components are:
Nvidea Titan X Pascal
16GB DDR4
Kraken X61
Seasonic 650 PSU

I am having difficulty in deciding on the CPU in particular, between the 6700K, 6800K or 5820K. As this is a gaming PC, I was under the impression to get the fastest clock speed as opposed to number of cores, but with Direct X 12 is this likely to change? I would like to run this CPU for at least a couple of years without upgrade, so am keen on future-proofing where possible.

The board I am looking at is the Asus Sabretooth X99, bringing that price down a bit would be nice, but I have a themed black and white ATX build which limits me somewhat.

If anyone can provide some advise I would be grateful :)

Associate
OP
I have spent a while tonight researching my options and I think it comes down to the below:

Intel Core i7 6700K Unlocked Skylake Desktop Processor/CPU
MSI Z170A Xpower Gaming Titanium
Approx £550

Intel i7 6800K Broadwell Extreme Unlocked CPU/Processor
Asus Sabretooth X99
Approx £700

Disregarding the price difference, I am still uncertain as to which is the best option as many articles suggest the 6700K to be the better CPU for gaming. This is all with 4K in mind, if the price difference of the X99 option makes that more attainable then I have no problem in spending it.

Soldato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4LFSYDwfbw

A couple of FPS gained at 4k with the 6 core chip.

Personally if I had the cash to spare I'd like the 6 core chip. But only for image since I wouldn't benefit from the extra cores really. To do it justice though I'd also want to watercool and all that jazz.

Again on image, you don't say what config your ram is in, but if only 2 of those 8 slots on the x99 board are filled i would say it would look a little sparce.

Associate
OP
Your point about the memory only filling 2 slots is very valid and something i didn't think about tbh.

A little more background on this. I currently have a 4790K in my gaming PC and I want to build a separate dedicated PC using that CPU to run my Plex VM. I have enough spare parts to do this, except for the CPU. Then, I would purchase one the above and install to my existing gaming PC.

What I am finding is that the 4790K still holds its own, I am surprised at how little the performance of CPUs have slowed since I bought that 3 or so years ago. The cheapest option would be to buy another 4790K (or lower) and just stick that in the to be built Plex PC, and leave my games PC as it is.

It doesnt sound as exciting as getting shiny new hardware, but if gaming performance is not substantially improved by upgrading the 4790K then its not worth the expense.

Back
Top Bottom