CPU Died, unsure what to upgrade too...

Associate
Hello once more OCUK.

Many years ago, I sought help on building my first build....just under 9 years later and while still pretty much meeting my needs, apart from 4K playback (I was planning to upgrade the Graphics Card/Monitor first) my hand has been forced as I did a stupid thing when trying to "fix" a fan and seem to have shorted my CPU.

Mostly on PC I've been sticking to the "sim" type games on PC, Two Point Hospital, Cities Skylines and Planet Coaster etc as I've got an Xbox One so been tending to play "proper"/AAA games on that.

Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V PRO
CPU: Intel Core I7 2600K with Coolmaster V8 Cooler.
RAM: 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
Graphics Card: ASUS 560Ti
PSU: Corsair AX750 Plus Gold

I've been out of the loop on builds/specs for a while but from quick first research it seems I'd need to at the very least upgrade my Mobo, CPU and RAM and a new CPU cooler/heatsink (And I could be tempted by a bigger case than my 600T as I've added a few hard drives etc.)

Budget is around £800, I don't want to spend loads but future proofing would be good. So any advice on where to start would much appreciated.

Soldato
same your system didn't die in July.

tehcincally speaking you'd want to double your cores.... but then you'd have an over kill cpu with a very weak GPU...

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £778.15 (includes shipping: £13.20)

specially with anno 1800 looming! that is drools!

more rounded - pretty much full upgrade

BB CODE
Total: £807.64 (includes shipping: £11.70)

if your gaming at 1080p, would allow you to turn everything up to max !

ryzen also offers best bang for buck ! but as mentioned , new ones come in July and not as strong as intel in games that use 1-2 cores or 1080p

Total: £752.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Associate
OP
same your system didn't die in July.

tehcincally speaking you'd want to double your cores.... but then you'd have an over kill cpu with a very weak GPU...

Yes I've been reading it seems the recommendation for most is if you can wait it out you should. (So I have also been looking around to see if I can pick up a 2nd hand 2600k to get it back online for now).

Thanks for the specs, thinking I am leading towards going for something more rounded as it should see me out for a little bit. (if I do decide to just replace everything now)

Back
Top Bottom