CPU hits 75°C under light load?

Associate
My 7700k (new build) is at 5.0Ghz (stable x264) with all the fans set to 'Turbo' in QFAN.

BUT

Whenever I do light duty on the PC like install a program the CPU temp jumps to 75+°C and of course all the fans kick in to 100% for a few seconds.

The general idle temp of the CPU is around 25-30°C at 800MHz.

Does this sound right as it's a bit annoying when my PC keeps ramping all the fans up whenever I do anything?

Associate
OP
While gaming on a CPU heavy game my temps are around 50-60°C so everything is pretty quiet. It just keeps having these random moments while doing usual desktop activities?

Last edited:
Soldato
Odd, sounds like some kind of task or service doing it if it's okay when gaming, probably start by quickly whipping open task manager next time it does it, see if anything is maxing the CPU.

Associate
OP
Yeah good idea, I'll do that tomorrow afternoon when I get off work. I'll let you know if anything shows up in task manager.

Last edited:
Soldato
Potentially the fan settings might be too aggressive, however that's not consistent with 75c temps when just doing desktop activities.

Associate
OP
Hmm Ok I'll try RealTemp and ProcessExplorer tomorrow also.

Worth noting this is a brand new build with almost nothing installed. And the fan profiles are pretty much set to be at 20% until 40°C then it's a gradual line up to 100% at 70°C IIRC.

Soldato
Yeh, but I'd expect it to throw a right hissy fit when gaming if there was anything wrong hardware wise. If it behaves when gaming then it so gonna be some rogue software, driver or as mickey said bios might want an update.

Can you save a default stock speed profile on your bios, same issue?

Associate
OP
I haven't actually tried saving a profile on this BIOS, I assume it has the ability so I'll try that also tomorrow if task manager doesn't show anything.

It's a new build which had a BIOS update a few days ago when first booted up so that should be up to date.

Soldato
Most if not all overclockable bios have a feature to save a few profiles, so Yeh, save your current bios set up, you should be able to give it a name, so something like '4.5ghz 3000mhz' to give you a clue as to what you saved, then reset to default bios settings, save that, call it 'default' or whatever and load it, then see if you have issues with standard settings.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Most if not all overclockable bios have a feature to save a few profiles, so Yeh, save your current bios set up, you should be able to give it a name, so something like '4.5ghz 3000mhz' to give you a clue as to what you saved, then reset to default bios settings, save that, call it 'default' or whatever and load it, then see if you have issues with standard settings.
Will do, hopefully I'll get a chance today some time.

Associate
OP
OK so pretty much anything in task manager that uses anything over 5% CPU sets the fans off for a second or two.

There was one thing that kept popping up though and causing the fans to go off on one: Windows Modules Installer Worker

It's something to do with Windows update so I've disabled that and Windows Update via services.msg and that's made a good difference.

Google Chrome sets the fans off too for a second as it periodically spikes the CPU usage to nearly 10% for no apparent reason?!

Maybe it's just because the PC is absolutely silent at idle that any CPU usage at all and any fan noise is quite a shock when it happens.

I can't see any option in QFAN to have the fans slowly ramp up or down because that might help, by the time the CPU has spiked the fans wouldn't get a chance to fire up. I did see some options called 'step up' and 'step down' but not sure what they are for? Also the shortest time I could select there was 12 seconds which would be far too slow for when actually do stress the CPU and do want cooling fast.

Associate
OP
Well I set the step up to 12 which seems to have helped, and it still ramps up quite quick under full CPU load so thats OK, but Windows Modules Installer keeps starting up again even though I set to 'manual' in services.msc

I can't win.

Soldato
What are the temperatures like when the fans kick in?
If they are ok, it might just be a case of figuring out how to make your fans less aggressive as they seem a bit keen.

Associate
Can't you just set a manual PWM fan profile so it doesn't ramp up so quickly? Maybe increase the idle % the fan runs at to reduce the steepness of the curve when temps go up. It's way too aggressive if you notice 5% CPU usage.

Back
Top Bottom