CPU, RAM or Motherboard faulty?

Soldato
I've been having some issues getting my PC stable the last few days, every time I think I've got it stable it proves me wrong by locking up and going into a boot loop. My specs are in sig.

Originally I thought the issue was bad RAM as windows was only showing as 12gb available when I have a 4x4GB kit installed. CPUz was showing all 4 sticks were being detected but one of them wasn't being used. I tried each stick one at a time to find out which one wasn't working and all sticks worked fine individually and eventually found that one specific slot wasn't working right and putting all 4 sticks in the slots to the left of the CPU meant that windows once again shown 16GB.

I now run into another issue. I had reset the BIOS and since I first built this PC windows wont boot at stock until I enabled XMP for the RAM but this time I couldn't even get past the post screen into the BIOS so I could turn on the XMP profile without it boot looping. I got past this and enabled XMP by removing the 2 sticks of RAM I had moved from the bad slots, once XMP was enabled I could put both sticks back in and windows would boot fine.

To check the system was stable without any further bios changes I run Aida64 and OCCT for an hour each without an issue. At this point I thought I got things stable and started using my PC as normal, then after about 20 minutes the PC froze and powered off. It wouldn't boot again until I removed the 2 sticks of RAM I'd moved.

I ran the PC for a while with just 8gb RAM and had no problems so I tried swapping the 2 installed sticks for the 2 I'd removed and still no problems. All 4 sticks back in and working for a short while before crashing, sometimes it would even crash with zero load just sitting idle on the desktop.

I had a couple occasions windows would boot back up after a crash and only 4 or 8GB RAM would be shown available. It's usually possible to tell if its about to boot with less RAM as it'll take about 30 seconds before it'll post.

So steps I have tried:
- Updating BIOS
- Cleaning RAM slots
- Reseating CPU
- Manually setting voltages and RAM timings instead of using XMP profiles, windows won't boot
- Memory test on each RAM stick with no errors found
- Stress tested CPU + RAM using Aida64 & OCCT

The PC has never been heavily overclocked, usually sat around 4GHz with 1.2v on the core and the RAM downclocked to about 2333MHz. CPU is cooled by a coolermaster AIO and temps are usually around 30c going upto mid 50s under load.

Soldato
OP
This really seems like motherboard issue. Probably warped over time causing contact issue within the cpu socket or the dimm slots
Well I guess that's an excuse to upgrade :) It "seems" to be stable for now, managed to play a few games without any crashes so hopefully lasts long enough to raise the money for a replacement. Is there anything I could do to say for certain its one thing or another?

Back
Top Bottom