CPU w/ Corsair H110i gtx Overheating

Associate
Hi all,

So I built my brother a PC a year ago and he told me it wouldn't turn on so he brought it over and did the usual stuff. Removed everything and built it back up piece by piece and it appeared to boot up no probs.
note: this included cleaning the Thermal paste and reseating with new paste.

Anyway, on boot up I went into the BIOS and the CPU temp was reading 50°C almost from the get go and this very quickly went up to 89-90°C (in maybe 2 minutes).

Now there is no overclock in place and I was wondering if the CPU is dead/dying and giving a false read out as the H110i fans steadily increased in speed. I wasn't happy leaving it running for more than 10-15 seconds so turned it off. Felt the pipes on the heat sink/block and the top pipe was very warm which is strange for a total of 2 minutes run time. The bottom pipe was cool to touch.

Rounding this up, is it likely that the CPU is cooked and needs replacing (if so likely warranty will cover this?) or is the H110i the culprit and somehow blocked or the pump failed so that the coolant isn't flowing allowing the CPU to stay cool?

I don't think I have a Intel reference CPU around but will see what I can find over the Easter weekend.

Anything I can try in the mean time?

Soldato
The problem does indeed sound like it's with the pump.

Try it on a different header and also give it a good tapping.

Keep it in the BIOS in the monitoring bit so you can see temps and if it goes above 90'c just turn it off and give up on the H110i :)

Associate
OP
Thank you guys, it does appear to be the H110i

I managed to find an intel reference HSF up in the loft that fitted the motherboard. Tried it a moment ago and cpu is sitting nicely at 29-31 degrees C (in bios monitor).

I think it came with a 2 year warranty as it's just over a year now so fingers crossed I can find the paper work.

Back
Top Bottom