crashed my car on the a30 :-( how to handle?

Associate
Hi

Yesterday on the A30 I was on my way to Truro, notice infront 4 cars had pulled over on the hard shoulder as 2 cars had gone over the bank. Both lanes infront of me had been blocked by over cars avoiding the parked cars. At the time there was freak hailstorm, I was doing about 60mph but due to the road conditions I had no grip to slow down... I managed to steer towards the hard shoulder to avoid hitting anyone and went into a ditch doing a nice flip and a roll :(

My car was a tdci mk3 mondeo. It's a complete write off. Me, 25 week pregnant girlfriend and my 1 and half year old son are fine but shaken up. So very happy how the car handled the crash. Cars can be replaced but my family cant.

My question is how do I handle this with my insurance company?

I didn't hit anyone or damage any property and due to my excess and what the car is worth it don't see the point in losing my 5 yrs no claims over a couple hundred. The police have the accident recorded but I am ensure if I need to report the accident to my insurer anyway since I will be paying for everything out my own pocket?

Anyone have any advise please

Soldato
Impressive work. :p

Glad everyone is ok. :)

What has happened to the car currently? If it has been recovered to a salvage yard or something, someone is going to need to be paid for recovery and storage/disposal. This may work out easier if you do claim as the costs will then all be done by the insurance company. Been a while since I wrote off a car so can't remember how things happened with the insurance company. I recall I did phone and advise I had done what I did, but wasn't wishing to claim.

Man of Honour
If you dont want to claim, then don't - you don't need to if you've damaged nothing but your own car. You must tell them its happened, though, according to the terms of your policy.

But consider the recovery - somebody has to pay for that.

Associate
OP
Yes the car has been recovered so ill pay the cost for that.

Any ideas how much of an effect a accident will have on future insurance quotes?

Thanks for the advance :)

Soldato
Yes you have to tell them, but you dont have to claim. As statistically you are now a higher risk to insure. I would say it doesnt add that much, i claimed and lost 2 years ncb and it didnt make a huge difference.

Soldato
Claim. You shouldn't lose your full bonus just a couple of years. The insurance hit will be no more than hundreds over a few years.

I was heading to Newquay on the A30 yesterday with pregnant wife and 2 year old in the car. Just after leaving the a30 we had a slightly hairy moment when I felt the car lose traction over standing water. There but for the grace of God...

Caporegime
recovery firm could possibly notify them ? depends what sort of company recovered you. If it was a small local place, probably not. But some of the bigger chains might have policies ... ?

Permabanned
I was in that hail storm, it was quite unreal.

Doing 60 in it though is just dumb, although it came on quite suddenly there is always time to slow.

You might as well claim as you'll be bent over for the accident claim or not! Glad your kid & gf are ok though.

Associate
any emergency services at the scene ? they will record who was involved, if you didnt hit anyone then your insurance company wont find out from other parties claims, if you dont tell them then you will have to remember your lie for the next 3 -5 years when ever you speak to your insurance company otherwise they will backdate it and charge you in one sitting.

Personally i would tell them about it and not claim, worst case senario is they increase there price at renewal ( wont increase the amount mid term) and if your not happy with it shop about.

Saves you having to lie, your all above board, you can concentrate on the your Mrs etc

Associate
Glad everyone was OK, I just missed the carnage at Highgate Hill and Mitchell. If i was in that situation I wouldnt bother claiming, but what i would do is get on to Tonkins tomorrow morning and get your car out of there. I wouldnt be suprised if your bill from them is £300 already. When i had dealings with them a few years ago, they wanted £180 for a HIAB to pick the car up, then £35 a day storage, no doubt the prices have gone up.

Soldato
Seriously - how much do you think the hit on premiums is going to be for reporting it? The missus premium quotes went by £60-100 after hitting another car from behind.

Maz

Maz

Soldato
I'd claim TBH, you pay your insurance for when / if you ever get into these situations.

So you lose 2 years NCB and pay a bit more come renewal but it's bound to be a lot less than what you stand to lose by not claiming?

Luckily you're family haven't been injured but if they had there is the possibility for them to claim for treatment had they suffered.

Soldato
Glad you're all unharmed. My initial thought is that the cost of excess and increase in premiums would be less than the pay out for the Mondeo and storage/recovery costs.

Back
Top Bottom