1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crazy running-in recommendations for new bike

Discussion in 'Biker's Cafe' started by Domo, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

It makes me twitch when people idle to warm up a bike. Many parts don't warm up unless you're moving.

Start it and ride immediately, but take it easy for the first few minutes.

2. TallPaul_S

Soldato

It's Celsius - 80-90 Fahrenheit which is most bikes operating temperature (in C), would be 30 Celsius, which is nothing.

Oh and as others have said, turn on, ride. Only in very cold weather might you need to give it 30 seconds of idling, otherwise just ride it slow for the first few minutes - it'll warm up in less than a few miles.

3. .one.

Mobster

I feel sorry for your girl friends.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  4. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

You have some serious issues if you are comparing motorcycles to women!

5. EVH

Don

“Take it easy on new tyres and let the bike warm up first”, are the exact words that the dealer told me when I picked up my new bike.

As long as you aren’t hitting the Rev limiter when the engine temp is below the ideal range then I can’t see an issue. To be honest you’d struggle to do that legally anyway, unless you’re screwing the bike on an A road or motorway which you really don’t want to be doing from new.

To;dr Ride normally but consider warm up.

6. NooBish AbbZ

Mobster

Tell me about it :( You feel it run out of puff :(

7. Domo

Mobster

Exactly that. Thing is, since being told I’m like Rainman when I first start it up, mentally reciting what the dealer had told me and not daring to deviate.

Where the rev limit is concerned, the manual hints telemetry is recorded and they will know if I’ve gone over which will (not might, will!) void the warranty on the engine.

Sources online say for the first 1KM the redline occurs at 6 but I’ve never seen it light up.

Anyway. From today I’m going to be a little more adventurous. On the bike, of course. Sod it.

8. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

The dealers have to echo the manufacturer's advice, which is just done from a warranty point of view and not with any thought towards getting the optimal power/economy from the engine. They'd prefer a minor failure that they can potentially fix rather than a catastrophic failure.

9. .one.

Mobster

The dealer is correct.