Crime Up, Knife Crime Up, Gun Crime Up

Soldato
I found that you tend to find a lot of police in certain hotspots in London, like train stations and places like Elephant & Castle where there's a lot of things like stop and search (or there was when I lived nearby in Southwark) but everywhere else, I find pretty much no police at all, but I accept that's just my personal experience,

Interestingly, crime which can be dealt with via automation and online forms seems to generate lots of police interaction - report a stolen phone, and you'll have endless surveys, crime numbers, people calling to make sure you're ok, txts from victim support groups, txts asking how you rate your experience... - (it's just a work phone, that got lifted from my bag)

However, I also got attacked twice last year, one was a failed mugging the other was a violent confrontation which was captured on CCTV and lasted 10 minutes, not once have I heard back from the police on either issue, no crime number, no follow up - nothing, they took statements at the time - but that's it.

Not that the police calling me, or getting in touch will make any practical difference - but to me it paints a very obvious picture - the force is just so overstretched, it doesn't have the time to do proper police work, it goes from job to job at 100mph trying to stay afloat, rather than being a central pillar of community law and order.

Caporegime
Vote for a Tory governments hell-bent on destroying society through the lies of austerity. Watch society regress in the background.

Soldato
No surprise really. Less Police = More crime. Who'd have thunk it????
What?

Less police doesn't mean more crime. What do you think police are all Bat-Mans who can intervene in a split second and stop a criminal from shooting or stabbing someone?

Read up on some criminology. Less police doesn't equate to more crimes committed.

Soldato
Complete and utter crap. You watch too much TV. There are places in the world where there are no police and yet there is no crime.
Crime is all about money, or the lack of it.

Oh yes. I absolutely love it when someone knows what they're talking about. :)

The amount of propagandised/brainwashed people is just incredible.

Caporegime
What?

Less police doesn't mean more crime. What do you think police are all Bat-Mans who can intervene in a split second and stop a criminal from shooting or stabbing someone?

Read up on some criminology. Less police doesn't equate to more crimes committed.
but does it equate to more crimes committed per criminal? because they are more likely to be successful with their crime when their are less people trying to prevent crime from happening.

maybe someone gets robbed in the street of £50 they believe the police won't catch the guy anyway so it's a waste of time reporting it and just an inconvenience because the services are so overstretched. maybe this means less people reporting crimes?

Complete and utter crap. You watch too much TV. There are places in the world where there are no police and yet there is no crime.
Crime is all about money, or the lack of it.
because no one with money ever committed a crime?
It's probably more about risk vs reward and your moral compass

Soldato
The "less police = more crime" idea is simply mind control propaganda to make us citizens WANT more police in order to "feel" safer. To provide a false sense of security.

I think your is position is ridiculous and quite easy to falsify, by using a very recent example;

Notts police recently let it be known. that they'd no longer investigate crimes of theft, where the value is less than £200, because they don't have the resources to do it. The end result has been a sharp increase in shoplifting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42492488

This potentially has the effect of emboldening criminals and actually generating more crime - if criminals start to get away with more and more, what's stopping them from performing more serious crimes? If it's possible to rob shops without the police taking action, then we're setting the bar very low and the consequences for that will start to become clear, just like they are doing.

Soldato
Noticed no difference in crime here, I feel perfectly safe walking the streets at any hour without fear of being knifed or shot or whatever other ridiculous crime is on the front of the Daily Mail this week.

Don
I think it's mostly just London that is pushing the national average up. The capitol of scum and villainy (and hipsters).
Aye, would be interesting to see the figures for London and then for the rest of England and Wales.

I know they're now talking about re-introducing stop and search or whatever it was called in London because of the explosion in knife/gun crime there since they stopped it.

Soldato
I think your is position is ridiculous and quite easy to falsify, by using a very recent example;

Notts police recently let it be known. that they'd no longer investigate crimes of theft, where the value is less than £200, because they don't have the resources to do it. The end result has been a sharp increase in shoplifting.

This potentially has the effect of emboldening criminals and actually generating more crime - if criminals start to get away with more and more, what's stopping them from performing more serious crimes? If it's possible to rob shops without the police taking action, then we're setting the bar very low and the consequences for that will start to become clear, just like they are doing.

That's not the same thing though is it.

You said yourself that they "let it be known". That just puts a huge wedge in this debate. They're basically ADVERTISING the fact that people can get away with thefts under £200. That is just stupid and it actually backs up what I said, they're just trying to warrant more police because if they didn't suddenly advertise the fact that under £200 is a free for all then there would be no palaver lol.

So they advertise that £200 and under is OK, then they blame the increase in under £200 thefts on the fact that there isn't enough police. Hahahaha. :D

Soldato
Saw this on the news yesterday, was listening to R4 and their analysis was a little more nuanced as the crime survey suggests that people are less likely to be the victim of crime than ever before.

They said that this suggests that most of the increase in violent crime is criminal on criminal. So in some respect the paranoia isnt really justified. (Unless you are a member of a gang, in which case you are more likely to get stabbed or shot than you were 10 years ago)

Sounds about right, a lot of it is probably gang on gang violence.

Soldato

Also you haven't read the article properly:

"The act allows anyone stealing goods costing less than £200 to plead guilty by post - or face the magistrates' court.

They might then face a fine or up to a year in prison."

The justice is still there. Police is not justice.

Soldato
They're basically ADVERTISING the fact that people can get away with thefts under £200. That is just stupid and it actually backs up what I said, they're just trying to warrant more police because if they didn't suddenly advertise the fact that under £200 is a free for all then there would be no palaver lol.

So they advertise that £200 and under is OK, then they blame the increase in under £200 thefts on the fact that there isn't enough police. Hahahaha. :D

I'm not really interested in arguing over conspiracy theories or tin foil hats - but I don't have to, theres plenty of undisputed evidence in the public domain, that police funding has been slashed over the last decade.

You see it with the NHS - not enough ambulances to meet the demand, so sometimes it might take an hour for one to turn up, in your world - the Ambulance drivers are being told to sit and drink coffee, so they can warrant more ambulances.

Next you'll be telling me that the new wave of teenagers on mopeds riding around with hammers and acid, are actually on the police payroll, to send a message to Theresa May that we need more police.

Also you haven't read the article properly:

"The act allows anyone stealing goods costing less than £200 to plead guilty by post - or face the magistrates' court.

They might then face a fine or up to a year in prison."

The justice is still there. Police is not justice.

I'm sure all the petty criminals, shoplifters and burglars are quaking in their boots across the land right now, at how they can now be prosecuted in pretty much the same way as a speeding fine. In the highly unlikely event they get caught.

Soldato
I'm not sure where you're going with this. You're pulling out absurdities like "ambulances" and "mopeds" out of thin air to make legitimate things sound like nonsense.

I'm sure all the petty criminals, shoplifters and burglars are quaking in their boots across the land right now, at how they can now be prosecuted in pretty much the same way as a speeding fine. In the highly unlikely event they get caught.

You still assume police is justice? lol.

Who cares about "quaking in boots" the justice is still there even if the police aren't.

Soldato
I'm not sure where you're going with this. You're pulling out absurdities like "ambulances" and "mopeds" out of thin air to make legitimate things sound like nonsense.

You still assume police is justice? lol.

Who cares about "quaking in boots" the justice is still there even if the police aren't.

You're a conspiracy theorist, so therefore a problem such as rising crime - rather than being the result of police cuts (a likely reason) in your world, is actually the police doing it on purpose, to justify and expand their own existence. (which is a claim you make)

If you're going to take that stance, then you have to apply it to other areas which have seen drastic cuts by the very same government - such as the NHS, where the same general problems occur - not enough resources to go around, queues and priorities form - waiting times skyrocket, so people start to suffer. In your world, it's nothing to do with cuts, the NHS is doing it on purpose (like the police) so they can argue for more funding and resources.

If you're going apply conspiracy theorist principles to policing, you need to apply those same principles across the board, because it's the same root cause - government funding cuts for public services, like the NHS and the police.

Soldato
Yeah I think I'll end this pointless tangent on the fact that at least 8 out of 10 of all my theories, have ended up actually happening.

Good day sir.

Back
Top Bottom