Crime Up, Knife Crime Up, Gun Crime Up

Caporegime
Complete and utter crap. You watch too much TV. There are places in the world where there are no police and yet there is no crime.
Crime is all about money, or the lack of it.

Well you’ve bowled me over there with that reasoned and evidenced assessment.

So people speed because of a lack of money? People rape other people because of a lack of money?

If everyone was wealthy there would be no crime?

Crime is massively more complicated that. It is effected by upbringing, culture, morals and if absolutely involves the chance and extent of repercussions.

Man of Honour
Plenty of police around here on the streets, good response times, decent community interaction, very active on twitter and all that jazz. Still plenty of crime, sirens every night, NPAS overhead pretty much every week.

I walk through Camden Town most evenings and you still see the dealers by the lock. Occasionally a police van drives by and they get searched and arrested, a few days later there's a different group or the ones lucky enough to get away back there. Moped crime seems to have peaked and the police are finally catching up to them which is good news.

I think the most worrying thing about the rise in crime, especially locally, is the age of people committing them. Plenty of 15/16 year olds riding around on mopeds snatching phones, or cycling around selling drugs. They seem to have next to no fear of the police or being caught. iirc in London alone the value of stolen phones last year from moped thieves was around £12mil, if that kind of money is going to teenagers I can see why they feel unstoppable.

Soldato
FFS, I'll search my posts and get the figures.

There are 123 142 police officers in England and Wales. The historic peak was 144 353 in 2009. In 2000 the number of police officers was 124 000. So we've got similar numbers to 2000. It's not as though they've been slashed to historically low numbers... we just had a peak between 2000 and now.

Not sure why it being "historically low" really matters, the police in 2000 didn't have to deal with 2018 service demands.

Soldato
Well you’ve bowled me over there with that reasoned and evidenced assessment.

So people speed because of a lack of money? People rape other people because of a lack of money?

If everyone was wealthy there would be no crime?

Crime is massively more complicated that. It is effected by upbringing, culture, morals and if absolutely involves the chance and extent of repercussions.
Yes, many people who are speeding are likely trying to get somewhere which makes them money. I'm not saying speeders who simply "speed" for the enjoyment don't exist, they do certainly exist but we have to remember that money could certainly be a primary reason in many cases of speeding.

Also for rape. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility for someone out there to rape purely because they cant afford a prostitute, maybe. I don't think it's impossible.

And finally yes if everyone was equal in wealth there would certainly be a lot less crime. Money is definitely the root of most, if not all evils.

Caporegime
Yes, many people who are speeding are likely trying to get somewhere which makes them money. I'm not saying speeders who simply "speed" for the enjoyment don't exist, they do certainly exist but we have to remember that money could certainly be a primary reason in many cases of speeding.
I don't think this is grounded in real-life experience. People speed because they feel the law doesn't/shouldn't apply to them, for the most part. They speed because they think the chances of getting away with it are high. They speed because they want to.

Also for rape. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility for someone out there to rape purely because they cant afford a prostitute, maybe. I don't think it's impossible.
LOLs, no. You don't rape purely because you have no money. In all cases, you rape because you're human scum, money or not. (Not you you, as in asim18, you as in "someone".)

And finally yes if everyone was equal in wealth there would certainly be a lot less crime. Money is definitely the root of most, if not all evils.
Money can be a factor in crime rates for sure. But you have to remember there are degrees of morality in us just as there are degrees of poverty. The line below which we are prepared to turn to crime varies from person to person. Also poverty can never be a justification for crimes such as rape. Indiscriminate (randomly targeted) crime can also never be justified.

Most serious crime is extremely difficult to justify regardless of circumstance, I feel.

Soldato
The problem is parenting, or lack of, and I'm not talking about discipline - though that can play a part - it's general parenting, such as teaching the importance of morals, treating other people well, teaching the importance of getting a good education and working hard to achieve what you want in life. People out in the streets stealing and carrying knives were no doubt failed on that very basic level. Where are all these Dads of 16 year old drug dealers? Do they know where their children are? I bet they're still bought an Xbox or mobile phone at Christmas even when they've done **** all at school all year.

Soldato
Soldato
It happens every time the Tories come in. Cut everything, give the money to their rich mates, wait for the mythical "trickle down" that never happens. If you're rich you're okay, if you don't have the money, you're on your own.

The police are just reactive now, turning up after the event to log the crime. Their proactive work to stop crime in the first place is suffering as their budgets and numbers are cut to the bone and beyond.

True. Tory scum keep getting elected and keep ******* up everything except their rich business partners. This failed state gets what it deservers. Now Japan is a country that works for it's people, we could learn a thing or two from them. Now bring on the hate ladies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RDM

RDM

Soldato
True. Tory scum keep getting elected and keep ******* up everything except their rich business partners. This failed state gets what it deservers. Now Japan is a country that works for it's people, we could learn a thing or two from them. Now bring on the hate ladies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Japan's poverty rates are estimated to be similar to the UKs, according to Unicef their child poverty rate is one of the worst in the developed world.

Soldato
Japan's poverty rates are estimated to be similar to the UKs, according to Unicef their child poverty rate is one of the worst in the developed world.

Japan works. They made my microwave. In other news, a random series of events has dropped IQ's by a third. The World Health Organisation says it's due to too much sodium in your diet.

Associate
The real issue is that our prisons are full, so habitual criminals are being released early or given 'community sentences' and are back on the streets to commit more crime.

Take the 1000 most prolific offenders in each city and lock them away permanently, and you would see a drastic reduction in the overall crime rate

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Japan works. They made my microwave. In other news, a random series of events has dropped IQ's by a third. The World Health Organisation says it's due to too much sodium in your diet.

So we can ignore poverty rates because they made your microwave? OK...

RDM

RDM

Soldato
The real issue is that our prisons are full, so habitual criminals are being released early or given 'community sentences' and are back on the streets to commit more crime.

Take the 1000 most prolific offenders in each city and lock them away permanently, and you would see a drastic reduction in the overall crime rate

It isn't really. "Tougher sentences!" is a nice easy get out, but doesn't really work. Spending more on rehabilitation, education and supporting offenders when they leave prison does have proven results and saves money in the long run. But it isn't popular amongst those that see it as being soft on crime.

Soldato
It isn't really. "Tougher sentences!" is a nice easy get out, but doesn't really work. Spending more on rehabilitation, education and supporting offenders when they leave prison does have proven results and saves money in the long run. But it isn't popular amongst those that see it as being soft on crime.

I dunno, I bet if they brought back the stocks the crime rate would plummet. Especially in winter :p

Soldato
I haven’t seen a policeman walking a beat for years. Road police have became a rarity.

You cut policing you get more crime.
I see them wandering the town centre everytime I go near it and last weekend there were at least 3-4 fully tooled up armed coppers patrolling Meadowhall shopping centre! Bobbies on the beat does nothing to reduce crime just gives people a warm fuzzy feeling or makes me think 'why on earth?' In the case of the armed patrols of Meadowhall! What's really suffered from the cuts is coommunity policing which does up the level if gang violence.

Back
Top Bottom