Critique my Application Summary.

Permabanned
Right guys, i have a job summary and want to get a few ideas and opinions to make sure it is not complete pap.

In theory i have ticked all the boxes, but i feel the flow it not as slick as it could be. There is a section in italics which i was working on last night and needed to leave, if anyone can help with that, it would be appreciated.

Anyway,

Please give a brief summary of how your skills and experience meet the requirements of this role (300 – 500 words only.)

I am a strong and effective communicator both written and oral, I am experienced in taking part in meetings and writing reports covering broad or technical areas such as senior management reports to arrears analysis over several years.

My current role requires me to be able to work with colleagues at all levels and I have excellent interpersonal skills, I find it easy and enjoyable dealing with people and have found this useful when my role calls for me to help others adhere to policy and legal requirements and provide support and guidance where necessary.

.....in areas such as policy adherence, legal regulation interpretation as well as providing support and guidance where necessary.

I am familiar wit h customer relationship management and have substantial experience in customer services and sales in a variety of areas. I am quick to pick up relevant supporting software and am able to analyse and interpret data to a high standard, giving tangible results.

Currently I am required to keep thorough , consistent and usable records in respect of training, department of work and pensions records, databases and quality control notices. Due to my excellent time management skills and use of the tools at my disposal, I am able to work to tight deadlines and enjoy pressure in the working environment.

Another part of my current role requires me to be methodical and deliver a high level of accuracy when checking benefit claims. I have to be able to understand a large amount of complex information, quickly, in respect of financial information customers have sent in, failure to do so could result in wasting the time of other colleagues and putting customers in serious financial hardship.

I enjoy problem solving and am able to take the initiative when making decisions in order to achieve results, within benefits administration there is an onus to interpret past decisions, either from judges, commissioners or colleagues within the organisation. I have to be pragmatic and make sure my interpretation will stand up to scrutiny, without being overly cautious, impeding others and hopefully my actions will result in a successful outcome for all stakeholders.

While studying I developed a keen interest in marketing and a keen eye for advertising and promotions which push the boundaries and being part of the Copy Advice team is not only something which I will find exciting but also allow me to have a positive impact on society. I think it is important to allow organisations to get their message across and not penalise them for the actions of the minority who take advantage of the freedom of self regulation.

Reworded:

Communication Skills

One of my greatest strengths lies in my ability to communicate effectively through various different channels. I regularly take part in meetings, write reports covering broad areas from arrears and collection rates to senior management reports and have also represented my employer in the 'Young Local Authority of the Year' competition.

I would be an effective advocate for the Copy Advice team and the self-regulatory system in general as I have a customer-focussed mentality, a keen interest in marketing and a keen eye for advertising and promotions which push the boundaries, those which stand out in recent memory are Nissans "ÜBER RATED" campaign and Apples iPhone internet access claims. I believe it is important to be mature, empathise and to understand the challenges the advertising industry faces and not penalise them for the actions of the minority who take advantage of the freedom of self regulation by crossing the boundaries of what is considered legal, decent, honest and truthful.

Interpersonal Skills

My current role also requires me to be able to work with colleagues at all levels which I find easy and enjoyable due to my experience in customer facing and back office environments. As well as this i also help other colleagues develop their understanding of the policy and legal requirements they must follow in a knowledgeable and professional manner, providing support and guidance on a regular basis.

My sales and customer service roles have taught me to be calm and persuasive and able to handle difficult situations such as customers not receiving the service they expect and would be able to ensure repeated use of Copy Advice services by enquirers with my patient and persistent demeanour and desire to see jobs done to a high standard.

Initiative

I enjoy problem solving and am able to take the initiative, many of the spreadsheets I complete have to be finished within a short time scale in order to act on the information effectively, occasionally challenges arise with figures and I have to establish the cause of the issue is and if possible find a solution. My background in customer services and sales, along with my knowledge of customer relationship management from my studies will allow me to target new enquirers effectively and professionally.

Organisational Skills

Currently I am required to keep thorough , consistent and usable records in respect of training, department of work and pensions records, databases and quality control notices. Due to my excellent time management skills and use of the tools at my disposal, I am able to work to tight deadlines and enjoy pressure in the working environment.

Other Skills

Another part of my current role requires me to be methodical and deliver a high level of accuracy and consistency when checking benefit claims in order to remain fair and lawful. I have to be able to understand a large amount of complex information, quickly, in respect of financial information customers have sent in, failure to do so could result in wasting the time of other colleagues and putting customers in serious financial hardship.

When making decisions in order to achieve results, within benefits administration there is an onus to interpret past decisions, either from judges, commissioners or other government organisations and be able to give usable advice based on my decisions. I have to be pragmatic and make sure my interpretation will stand up to scrutiny of auditors and that advice given is practical to implement in the working environment for all stakeholders.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just skimming it and already I can see that you sometimes need to use full stops where you're using commas. I'll post something more substantial when I've finished. Also, your first 11 words make no grammatical sense.

Caporegime
I am a strong and effective communicator both written and oral

11 words. This does not make sense and kind of jars with the image you're trying to project of an effective communicator. You don't need input from either GD or a recruitment consultant. You need some advice from an English grad. I'm not even joking. You know what you want to say but you need help with wording it.

Permabanned
OP
[FnG]magnolia;18739526 said:
11 words. This does not make sense and kind of jars with the image you're trying to project of an effective communicator. You don't need input from either GD or a recruitment consultant. You need some advice from an English grad. I'm not even joking. You know what you want to say but you need help with wording it.

I'll take that as a compliment. :)

I think you are right but sometimes people you know are not critical enough and GD can be like the lions den.

Thanks for your help so far.

Caporegime
You should take it as a compliment because what you have is almost good. I see more CVs every week than I'd like to and whilst your piece is badly worded it is still clear that you know what you're trying to say and, more importantly, that you have something to say. You just need someone to help you do that.

I've had far too much Scotch for one evening so I'll be useless right now but if no one has had a crack at it by the morning then I promise to do something with it and you can use it or ignore it as you see fit. Sound ok?

Permabanned
OP
Please learn how to use punctuation! The content is quite good, but it's really difficult to read when you have a comma orgy going on.

I am in the process of reading eats, shoots and leaves. (i kid you not).

I admit it is obvious even to me that the punctuation is naff and needs going over.

Are you interested in giving the punctuation a go for me?

Man of Honour
What are you applying for exactly, sounds interesting.

Just my own personal preference, I try to avoid 'wooly' sentences. That is, sentences that are non-specific to you. For example:

"Due to my excellent time management skills and use of the tools at my disposal, I am able to work to tight deadlines and enjoy pressure in the working environment"

You haven't shown that you can actually do it and anyone could have written it. I find such sentences can look like they are padding the word count, but I understand why some people include them.

Secondly, I would identify what skills the role requires and explain why you can meet those requirements specifically. At the moment it kind of just reads like a generic list of skills... but I don't know what you are applying for.

Soldato
Actually I'm hopeless at these, I thought I'd do one as a laugh many years ago and was shocked that I didn't even get an interview.

I just couldn't believe it and after discussing with my wife I realised why everyone goes to her when it comes to job applications.

The key thing is that like you, I didn't answer what they were asking for. Read the question again.

" Please give a brief summary of how your skills and experience meet the REQUIREMENTS of this role (300 – 500 words only.) "

It's no good writing about stuff that is above and beyond the requirements...

I'm so and so, I'm this, I'm that ... but they all know that he's just wick wick wack <<< Not sure where that came from but back OT....

This is how you do it.

Header all the requirements, write a sentence or two fulfilling each requirement.

Team Leader
At Deutsche I was managing .... involving....

etc etc

Yes it looks absolutely carp and amateur but is actually what they are looking for. She gets an interview every blooming time !

My wife tells me never to apply to the BBC as I won't get in without structuring the application :rolleyes:. There's no point talking about the hip and trendy stuff that you can do in the application form - That's what interviews are for.

Permabanned
OP
The key thing is that like you, I didn't answer what they were asking for.

I started by doing this, answering each of the headings as i went.

I then moved it around a bit and removed the heading to try and make it flow better and failed.

Do you think i would have more success taking a colour by numbers approach?

Key Requirements:

Communication Skills
• Able to communicate articulately and grammatically in writing, by telephone and in meetings and presentations with those in the advertising industry, the media, consumer groups, pressure groups, regulatory bodies and other organisations.
• An effective advocate for the Copy Advice team specifically and the self-regulatory system in general.
• Able to show empathy, maturity and understanding of the advertising business and demonstrate a customer-focussed mentality.
• Excellent report writing skills.

Interpersonal Skills
• Good interpersonal skills, essential in dealing with people in a knowledgeable and professional manner.
• Calm, persuasive and robust enough to handle difficult situations and ensure repeated use of Copy Advice services by enquirers.

Initiative
• A resourceful problem-solver and creative in suggesting amendments to advertisements so that marketers have the maximum opportunity to advertise effectively without breaking the Code.
• Able to use Customer Relationship Management information to help the organisation target new enquirers.

Organisational Skills
• Good time management and organisation.
• Able to maintain a complete, thorough and consistent record of all correspondence.

Other Skills
• Patient and persistent.
• Able to work under pressure and to a tight deadline while retaining a high level of accuracy and consistency.
• Able to interpret past decisions and be adept at giving practical and helpful advice on the back of them
• Able to foresee potential problems with marketing communications
• Analytical and able to quickly understand complex information, including data sent in support of claims.
• Knowledge of the advertising industry and an awareness of self-regulation are desirable.

Soldato
Looks much better...

It's easier on the eye for the sod who has to read your application form - especially when he or she has to wade through 200 odd.

They'll have a scan through and short list those that 'appear' to fulfil the requirements and then read in detail if you're suitable.

Seems like you don't have prior experience, if you do please give work examples that fulfil each requirement. If you don't have any experience WTF make up an imaginary job :D Let's just hope you can blagg it in the interview

Permabanned
OP
Yeah it sounds stupid but believe me, it's the correct way even when applying for jobs in the council.

Maybe now you know why there are so many dumb a***** working there :D

I've had the pleasure, my last role was something like 9,000 words.

I did get the job though.

Do you think the same applies when i only have 300-500 words to play with?

Soldato
I've had the pleasure, my last role was something like 9,000 words.

I did get the job though.

Do you think the same applies when i only have 300-500 words to play with?

It's got to be unless they've already asked for it in the application form elsewhere which I doubt

Less words imply they don't want time wasters and want to see how you manage with the constraint. Be clear and to the point :D

Back
Top Bottom