Crucial M4 Installed Windows 7 & lost around 10GB space.

Soldato
I have just installed Windows 7 on my Crucial M4 SSD and have lost around 10GB of space.After installing Windows 7 & other bits & bobs i used to have around 40-42GB free, for some reason i'm now left with 31.7GB of free space.I have done the usual things like turning off system restore,hybernation & also removed SP1 leftover instalation files.

Anyone any idea?

Thanks.

Associate
dont you want pagefile to be quick though if kept on ssd?
Exactly. That's why it's not really worth getting a SSD less than 100-120GB, as you just don't have the storage space to take advantage of it. It's a false economy to opt for less. You can get a decent 120GB SSD for just over £100 now, which is much less than the £330 I paid for the Vertex LE back in the day.

I have a 120GB Vertex 3 and I just use it as a normal drive - I never worry about turning off the page file, hibernation or any other system service. I install all my programs to it and still have space left over.

Caporegime
i think your fine if you reduce it to say 2500mb,you wont notice any realworld difference,16gb is abit too much esp on a 60gb ssd where your pushed for space

heres how much i have left with win7 ultimate installed

344e5ch.jpg

you could go down the caching route if your mb supports it,theres not much difference in performance and you dont have to worry about space

Associate
Just a quick note to say it's likely to be your hibernation file, which will be 16GB (same size as your RAM).
To disable it, go to start, type cmd, then type "powercfg -h off" without the quotes.
Enjoy your extra 16GB of space :)

Caporegime
Just a quick note to say it's likely to be your hibernation file, which will be 16GB (same size as your RAM).
To disable it, go to start, type cmd, then type "powercfg -h off" without the quotes.
Enjoy your extra 16GB of space :)

I have done the usual things like turning off system restore,hybernation & also removed SP1 leftover instalation files.

Back
Top Bottom