crucial v4 or m4?

Associate
i have a mid-2010 mbp, which i believe only has a sata2 hard drive interface and i'm thinking of upgrading from the 250gb 5400rpm drive to an ssd.

the crucial m4 is just under £150 and had very good reviews, however i notice that the v4 is less than £100 (at the moment) for the same size.

is there any reason not to just go for the v4, considering my mbp will never be able to take advantage of the sata3 interface on the m4?

ta, a.

Soldato
You're correct - your MBP (and mine) is limited to SATA 2.

No point going for the faster SSD unless you think you might re-use the drive at a later date.

Associate
OP
The M4 is quite a bit faster I believe.

the v4 stats are below:

- Seq Read (MB/s): 230MB/s
- Seq Write (MB/s): 190MB/s
- Random Read: 10K IOPS
- Random Write: 4K IOPS

the m4 states are below:
- Sequential Read (up to): 550MB/sec (SATA 6Gb/s)
- Sequential Write (up to): 300MB/sec (SATA 6Gb/s)
- Random 4k Read: 40,000 IOPS
- Random 4k Write: 50,000 IOPS

if the sata 2 interface of my macbook pro can give me more than what the v4 is offering then thats a compelling reason to considering spending the extra to get the m4. there are also a fair few 'extra' features on it, but i'm not sure how much of these are just marketing gimmicks. i'll never use the drive in anything other than this mbp, as when it comes time to upgrade the new apple range has everything solid state already.

what should i do, as £50 is a fair saving if i'm not going to see any benefit!

ta, a.

Associate
I put the v4 in my imac and it was worse than the original hard drive.. am going for an OCZ Agility 3 now, I would avoid the v4 for a mac. it's widely documented with issues on crucial's forums.

Back
Top Bottom