Crypto in games? NFT and play-to-earn

Caporegime
The creator of my favourite game from the last 10 years, Terraria, has just gone on-record to state his interest in using NFTs/crypto in future projects. One of those projects potentially being Terraria 2, currently in development.

My view on crypto is very, very negative, but that's a different thread.

The arguments often given for crypto being a "killer feature" in gaming, is allowing people to "own" the in-game items, and trade them.

Firstly, trading in-game items is not a new thing. We've had auction houses for years, and Steam and other platforms let you trade in-game items.

The argument then states that you can continue trading these items even if the game gets shut down. Well, erm, great? What use is your "Sword of Poking +1" if the game it featured in is no more, and all you have is a digital token saying that you own it?

Then people said, "You can transfer your items to other games!" So you're telling me, that a game dev wants to let you use your items from another game, because....? Because they don't want you to have to grind that item again? Or pay for it again, in the new game they just released and want to make a profit on? So they'll support you re-using your items from other games because....?

Second, we have a whole new class of games called "play-to-earn" where you get crypto "rewards" for playing. Which is exactly what gamers want. Blur the lines between gaming and work. It's often more like work because from reviews these games are often un-apologetically awful. Their whole thing is that you get (some form of) reward with a $ value from playing some hot garbage.

I can only think that everything to do with NFTs and crypto in games is a disaster, which will have no positive benefits and potentially plenty of negative consequences.

The fact that Ubisoft and EA are jumping into crypto with both feet means it's virtually guaranteed to be bad for gamers.

How do you see this playing out? Short-lived fad, or is crypto in games going to "revolutionise" gaming in the future. And if so, how is it going to improve on what we've got?

Soldato
How do I see this? It's the next step from microtransactions that fans and players won't like but, will have no choice accepting as it generates further income for those behind the games.

Ubisoft are all over it.

Associate
Did you think bitcoin when it first came out would have seen highs as it has 10 years later?

Would you have thought other blockchains methodologies and services back then as well?

99.5% of people would have said something very similar to what you have said about nft/gaming

This is just the beginning of crypto on our lifetime, we will be long dead when things truly kick off

Caporegime
OP
Did you think bitcoin when it first came out would have seen highs as it has 10 years later?

Would you have thought other blockchains methodologies and services back then as well?

99.5% of people would have said something very similar to what you have said about nft/gaming

This is just the beginning of crypto on our lifetime, we will be long dead when things truly kick off
Bitcoin has transitioned from its original intent (a decentralised currency) to a new mission: being a "store of value".

The fact that Bitcoin is now quite valuable does not mean it's actually useful for its original purpose, or better than fiat money at being a currency. Indeed most people recognise that Bitcoin is actually a terrible way to pay for most things. For one, the price is so volatile that your loaf of bread may double in value tomorrow, or halve, or get 10x more expensive, or...

A lot of crypto use cases are simply decentralised - and thus comparatively inefficient - alternatives to existing systems. They don't actually have to be useful, or improvements, at this time. It is enough to be speculative assets that people can gamble on.

Indeed if you look at many (most?) crypto communities online, most of the talk is of wanting the value (ironically in fiat) to go up, so they can sell it on for more than they paid for it.

This is quite different to crypto actually having a role to play in improving the way we game, or the way we pay for things.

Soldato
Just 2 more years....
Just 5 more years your see...
Just 10 more years promise....
Were be dead before it kicks off.....

Pure copium. Crypto is good to fleece money off those that don't know better thats it. It will be never used for anything more meaningful.

Associate
Just 2 more years....
Just 5 more years your see...
Just 10 more years promise....
Were be dead before it kicks off.....

Pure copium. Crypto is good to fleece money off those that don't know better thats it. It will be never used for anything more meaningful.

Well its not gone away yet has it and is only expanding at a massive rate. I don't know how it's good to fleece money, that goes for anything that you don't research into???

Soldato
I'm hugely successful from crypto it has changed my life but I think it's an absolute cringe fest to implement it in video games. Bad idea.

I'd rather pay £50 for a game and have a good selection of pre rendered in game items, than the game be free and have to pay £250 for my first in game helmet that's the same as everyone else's but the serial number is different.

Associate
It seems that companies like Ubisoft and EA are going to be the pioneers of implementing such NFT-related in-game content. If they want to implement some other trading NFT-related platforms, probably they should count resources like TopNFTCollections.com with the most valuable top nft collections they have in their database. I like their rankings of those NFT assets.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just another way for game companies to monetize their games to maximise profits. Its almost the logical (from their viewpoint) next step after mtx. Cant say that I'm overly surprised, makes sense for them to capitalise on the current frenzy amongst the young with crypto/nft/stockmarket shares.

Caporegime
Crypto/NFT is just pure greed micro transactions milking.

name one benefit for gamers you couldn't have without NFT/crypto? ebenefit fo r the companies is what? no transaction fees and they get to sell pixels or take a piece of someone elses work.
the whole thing will be spammed with absolute garbage anyway like the steam store right now, 95% of the steam store is absolute rubbish that shouldn't be on a market.

remember modding anyone? all those free things to improve your game, well now your paying crypto for them, because these people who did things for free and never wanted to get paid, apparently they now want to get paid in crypto.
even though before people just did it for the recognition.... some people even got jobs out of modding games
How do I see this? It's the next step from microtransactions that fans and players won't like but, will have no choice accepting as it generates further income for those behind the games.

Ubisoft are all over it.

yea saw a video about that

theere will sure be a piracy way to get everything they add to any blockchain anyway..... even if it means emulating a blockchain on your own computer

I ain't paying for any games that use NFT's I'll still play them though....

NFT will be reduced to cookies they can track you with across games or whatever.

gotta get you on the blockchain so they can keep an eye on you, keep connected to it. no data collecting or anything will be happening, no secret profiles built in the background, no algo to try and milk you

only cookies and rainbows

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom