• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Crypto miners could soon flood eBay with cheap CPUs, motherboards and SSDs

Soldato
I think it’s fair to say that the LHR cards are the beginning of the end of this madness.

Nvidia is the enemy of the enemy and is therefore my friend :)

The reasons for Nvidia doing it is not to help us, it’s to help itself make more money from the miners.

2022: Here mr. miner, have a 4080 miners edition for £2,500.

I don’t agree about the flood of cheap components into the U.K., they will go to the 3rd world where they will be quietly sold.

I wouldn’t touch a used 3080/3090 from a miner with a barge-pole and many people will think the same.

Soldato
I think it’s fair to say that the LHR cards are the beginning of the end of this madness.

Nvidia is the enemy of the enemy and is therefore my friend :)

The reasons for Nvidia doing it is not to help us, it’s to help itself make more money from the miners.

2022: Here mr. miner, have a 4080 miners edition for £2,500.

I don’t agree about the flood of cheap components into the U.K., they will go to the 3rd world where they will be quietly sold.

I wouldn’t touch a used 3080/3090 from a miner with a barge-pole and many people will think the same.

Most miners will have tuned their cards to run at the minimum voltage and frequency to achieve max efficiency and hashrate. A mining 3080 should be running at 0.73V @ 1100MHz to get 200W and 94MH/s. The gpu core will not be stressed at all and the GDDR6X should be fine as long as the junction temp has been controlled by replacing the thermal pads and cooled well. Typical memory junction temps only reach about 80C with the thermal pad mod.

It should be safe to buy an ex-mining card from a miner who knows what they are doing.

Soldato
Lol peoe thinking ti cards will be cheap
they will be scalped to buggery to start with, the limited supply wont help, these LHR cards only stop ETH mining, there are more coins to mine than just one, which is coming to its end anyway, its not just mining, its the whole demand, plus shortage of supply.

V F

V F

Soldato
they will be scalped to buggery to start with, the limited supply wont help, these LHR cards only stop ETH mining, there are more coins to mine than just one, which is coming to its end anyway, its not just mining, its the whole demand, plus shortage of supply.

Sometimes it feels like a hardware drug cartel. :cry:

Caporegime
Most miners will have tuned their cards to run at the minimum voltage and frequency to achieve max efficiency and hashrate. A mining 3080 should be running at 0.73V @ 1100MHz to get 200W and 94MH/s. The gpu core will not be stressed at all and the GDDR6X should be fine as long as the junction temp has been controlled by replacing the thermal pads and cooled well. Typical memory junction temps only reach about 80C with the thermal pad mod.

It should be safe to buy an ex-mining card from a miner who knows what they are doing.

And how does one find a miner when knows what they are doing selling cards?

Therefore he is correct nobody will be touching mining cards with a barge pole as there is no provenance that the miner knew what they were doing and even if they did you do realise that the fans will be shot to pieces from running 24/7. You would have to factor in a full rebuild of the cooling and reduced lifespan and zero warranty.

Personally I'd never buy a second hand GPU again. I'd rather buy new with warranty. It's not worth the risk to save a fiver.

Associate
Bitcoin has nearly halved in two weeks. Just waiting for all these second hand cards to flood the market. Any day now... :rolleyes:

Can't see this happening really, mining is like stocks and shares, it goes up and it goes down, when it goes down, people tend to hold on for it to go back up again.

The only time when this might happen, is if it goes really low and there's a run on it!

Caporegime
And how does one find a miner when knows what they are doing selling cards?

Therefore he is correct nobody will be touching mining cards with a barge pole as there is no provenance that the miner knew what they were doing and even if they did you do realise that the fans will be shot to pieces from running 24/7. You would have to factor in a full rebuild of the cooling and reduced lifespan and zero warranty.

Personally I'd never buy a second hand GPU again. I'd rather buy new with warranty. It's not worth the risk to save a fiver.
I've bought ex-miner cards before and had the misfortune to have it fail literally within weeks. Memory has been worked to death on mining cards. And it doesn't matter how much of an easy life the core has had if the memory is hammered and about to fail.

I wouldn't buy an ex-mining card ever again. Warranty is peace of mind, and unless they are literally giving away these ex-mining cards it's of no interest to me at all.

Plus buying the ex-mining cards is helping the miners, which I don't want to do :p

Associate
problen is how many miners are going to actually say its been mined with, it will be listed as light gaming use:rolleyes:

None I would have thought!? They want to sell the card/s so will not want any minus points against the card. Perhaps if their selling a number of cards, this might be a give away?? They are not going to want to sell them individually, as they might miss out on a sale, as others will be selling theirs.

Research is the answer I suppose. Checking other listing for the seller etc.

Also, I don't think they will do a hefty price reduction either, they'll want top dollar for the cards too!

Associate
Right now, it would be safer to assume that every 3000 series card entering the 2nd hand market was mined on.

Yep, that's a fair point, no one can get a 3080, so unless it's brand new still sealed, brought by a scalper, any 3080 should be seen as suspicious as and when the mining goes **** up!?

Caporegime
Can't see this happening really, mining is like stocks and shares, it goes up and it goes down, when it goes down, people tend to hold on for it to go back up again.

The only time when this might happen, is if it goes really low and there's a run on it!

The reason its going down is because people are selling.

Associate
The reason its going down is because people are selling.

They might be selling, but there aren't enough selling to have a run on it and cause a bit of a panic. When that happens, that's when it could possibly happen and cards might start appearing.
At the moment it's still profitable. When it drops further, then there will be that uncertainty and some might panic??
We'll have to just wait and see who jumps first and see the fallout, which might be fun?

Back
Top Bottom