CRZ Supercharged * 2020 revival *

Soldato
Hi guys,

Towards the end of the year I plan to supercharge my CRZ.

The Mugen Katana S/C kit will take the car up to 200BHP, which would be epic fun.

1150KG, 200BHP SC Hybrid which can do over 50MPG and handles immensly, sounds like the Type R they should have made instead of the FN2 ;)

I'm really keen on this idea. However to get this done it will cost £5700 inc VAT for the kit and installation & mapping etc.

Now it would be blindsighted of me not to consider the price of my car + the cost of SC to see what I could buy instead.

FYI my CRZ is 2011 Sport spec with FHSH 38K miles. Estimated to be 8.5K - 9K trade in.

So what would you do? S/C the CRZ and have a truly unique affordable hot hatch or buy something else completely?

EDIT: a different car would have to be no older/higher mileage. My annual mileage is 18K now.

Running costs of the CRZ:
- Tax £20
- Insurance £500
- MPG average 46
- Tyres are £400 per year
- Most consumables are reasonable (brakes etc)
- Servicing is £125/£250 alternating years/12K

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That seems an awful lot of money to spend to just get a car up to 200bhp, which isn't really much now? I would change car.

Soldato
Considering my dream daily B road thrasher would be a supercharged DC2, I say go for it!

Please note I have lost considerable amounts of money modifying a Mark II Golf and a DC2 so my advice on such matters may be somewhat flawed......

Soldato
OP
That seems an awful lot of money to spend to just get a car up to 200bhp, which isn't really much now? I would change car.

Well by most standard no it isn't. But for the size/weight of the car and economy that comes with it (without being diesel) it is very unique.

Seeing as you said change car, the next question is, to what?

Caporegime
If you sell your CRZ and keep the ridiculous £5700 sum it would cost to supercharge it, you could get something a-lot more fun. Possibly even with similar economy. :p

But its your money, your car, you who needs to smile when you see it. Do what makes you happy. :)

Soldato
How much of the £5.7k could you recover if removed and sold on? Or by selling the car with it on. If you could get even 50% cost recovery I'd be tempted to just do it

I'd want to be very involved in fitting it so as to be able to have a decent crack at diagnosing any issues relating to it down the line

Soldato
OP
If you sell your CRZ and keep the ridiculous £5700 sum it would cost to supercharge it, you could get something a-lot more fun. Possibly even with similar economy. :p

But its your money, your car, you who needs to smile when you see it. Do what makes you happy. :)

Well yeah thats the other option I mentioned in the OP, the question is what though?

Caporegime
Supercharging seems cool but 5k is a lot of money to us mere mortals, I've sort of been there and then some and in all honesty just get something else.

E46 M3 would be a hoot, you'd get one for your CRZ and spend the 5k on fuel driving it places.

Soldato
Honda's are always expensive to FI. It depends on how much you like the car, if you love the car and plan on keeping it long then I would say go for it, if you don't and don't plan on keeping it long then seems like a massive waste of money.

As someone else mentioned I would look into dropping a K20 into it, I would imagine it'd be half the price of supercharging it, but you still need to upgrade a lot of other bits like the brakes.

Associate
I would personally change it as Mitsubishi FTO's are 2.0 litre V6 engined pushing 190bhp as standard and you can pick one up for under £1500 and you can either single, twin or supercharge it aswell.

Soldato
OP
Wow thats almost the same money as Honda themselves were talking about for the iCF stuff?

Maybe drop a K20 in instead or get a DC5? Id stuggle with that especially as Honda have stopped selling in the UK.

It's the same kit as the iCF mate.

regarding K20 swap, I don't think you guys have looked in to the pricing of that but it is more epxensive. As you need, engine, gearbox, wiring loom + the install. And the end result is an engine from a car I could just go and buy outright (type R).

RE; the E46 M3 idea - Maintenance, fuel cost, tyres, potential repairs, tax and so on would all be through the roof in comparison to Nath's CRZ though.

Exactly, the e46 does nothing for me either.

Most of you will know this but fyi my car history is as follows:

- MKIV Supra non turbo
- MKIV Supra TT UK Spec
- Nissan 350Z GT (VQ35DE)
- Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4TSI

I dont think people are understanding that I dont want a car older than 2011.

The SC isnt about simply getting 200BHP, it's the package that the 200BHP is in.

Back
Top Bottom