Curious job situation, what would you do?

Man of Honour
I recently applied for a temporary project secondment working abroad for the head office function of my current employer. The position is for around 8 months.

My current head of department has the choice of holding my position open for me, or not.

She had chosen not to.

What would you do OcUK? Take the project role and potentially be made redundant at the conclusion, or stay where I am? To put things in perspective I am currently relatively well paid for what I do and would struggle to find an equivalent replacement job with the same or better salary and benefits.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Yes. If no suitable positions are available following the conclusion of the project you enter consultation and are made redundant.

That's the risk factor from my end.

Soldato
The question is will the secondment give you any tangiable benefits that can lead you into a better paid job. If the answer is no or maybe then stay where you are.

Man of Honour
Surely that's not a secondment anymore? Sounds like it's just a fixed term contract. Isn't the entire point in a secondment that you go back at the end?

Man of Honour
OP
The benefit would purely be the additional Salesforce experience it would give me (it's not a project linked to my "day job")

This is my issue, I can't see enough, if any, tangible reward in return for my risk.

Fox, it's a bit of both, there are secondment roles and fixed term roles. I actually applied for the secondment but it transpires that's no longer an option for UK employees, only the fixed term (the reasons aren't anything sinister, just boring)

Caporegime
Seems a bit daft to voluntarily transfer to a fixed-term contract and lose all the benefits of being an employee, with only some Salesforce experience to show for it.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't take it. I just wouldn't like the idea of taking a temporary job abroad with no guarantee of one to come back to, not least because being abroad would make job hunting a bit more difficult. Presumably as it is a 'secondment' you aren't even getting a pay rise for it?

Soldato
It's not secondment. I wouldn't go. But I let HO know that you couldn't go as you'd be made redundant on your return. Its a curious management decision. Either they genuinely can't replace you, or they want to put your nose out of joint and same to HO.

Man of Honour
Hi Lopez,

The fact you are hesitating kind of suggests you know the answer to the question..

Would the contract help you progress your career in future? Would it make you more employable? If the answer is yes, then I would go. You have to take any opportunity to expand when ever you can. If the answer is no, then I think you are best off where you are.

Be careful though, I have found that sticking to one place makes you too comfortable and complacent and you get stuck in a rut. You're a an intelligent bloke, i'm sure what ever you choose will be the right one. :)

Soldato
This would suggest to me that the current employer doesn't really value the employee, and I'd be uncomfortable staying working for that individual.

OR

It's a play by your manager to stop you from going abroad as you're very valued...

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks all. I've spoken with HO and voiced my concerns and they are going to try and get pressure put on at board level to ensure a slick release and return for me. This was their suggestion not mine, it's already in motion by the sounds of things. In the meantime I just need to stay out of it really. Watch this space!

hughtrimble - Upon reflection, my thoughts were the same as yours. I'm either highly valued (too valued to let go) or I'm not valued at all - do I really want to work for someone who's going to effectively block me from doing what a) I want to do and b) Would benefit the business greater than I can currently.

Soldato
Thanks all. I've spoken with HO and voiced my concerns and they are going to try and get pressure put on at board level to ensure a slick release and return for me. This was their suggestion not mine, it's already in motion by the sounds of things. In the meantime I just need to stay out of it really. Watch this space!

hughtrimble - Upon reflection, my thoughts were the same as yours. I'm either highly valued (too valued to let go) or I'm not valued at all - do I really want to work for someone who's going to effectively block me from doing what a) I want to do and b) Would benefit the business greater than I can currently.

This sounds hopeful then. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom