Current PC won't post, upgrade options

Associate
Hi,
Current PC froze the other day and after rebooting lights and fans turn on but it won't post. I've checked with a second psu and still nothing happens so I can only presume the cpu/mobo is dead.
Current setup was:
Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
Amd A-Series A10 5800K Black Edition Fm2
Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H
Corsair HX520w (really not sure how old this is now)

I don't get the chance for games so the above has lasted me well. Main uses are work (mainly excel) and plex server.

It's been a few years since I last had my eye on the market but the Intel Pentium G4560 seems to fit the bill for me,ignoring the stock issues
What would you suggest? I gather I'll need cpu, mobo and ram now that's things have moved on to ddr4
Thanks

Associate
Sorry, forgot to include my Budget. It's about £200
£200 would make things very tight due to RAM prices, as 8GB DDR4 is now ~£90.

Here's a potential build:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £260.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Soldato
£200 would make things very tight due to RAM prices, as 8GB DDR4 is now ~£90.

Here's a potential build:

Total: £260.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

This would smash current rig even if it's the lowest Ryzen, only down point is need a GPU, unless I've missed OP listing he had one and not using on board .
If there is no GPU, real hard as intels onboard just lacks

Associate
This would smash current rig even if it's the lowest Ryzen, only down point is need a GPU, unless I've missed OP listing he had one and not using on board .
If there is no GPU, real hard as intels onboard just lacks
I've made that assumption, as all the cheapest Intel quad cores put the total cost to £300+

But yeah, no GPU will be a problem.

If the £200 is strict, the only real choice I see is 2nd hand.

Associate
OP
That's right, no gpu as I was using an AMD APU. This is getting more complicated...
The budget isn't that strict, just keen to minimise the spend as my processing needs are minimal.

Soldato
This can't that hard to do, no?

Total: £451.02 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Intel

Total: £458.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Kept boards gigabyte as you've used them before and have excellent Customer service - check out Mobo section and you'll see them helping regularly

Both are budget CPU and Ryzen can be overclocked, but both plate day and night over your old one and the GPU power again, budget is still better

AMD are doing a new APU basically a Ryzen 1400 with cut down Vega , which again would be 10 times better then your current APU

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Total: £451.02 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Intel

Total: £458.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Kept boards gigabyte as you've used them before and have excellent Customer service - check out Mobo section and you'll see them helping regularly

Both are budget CPU and Ryzen can be overclocked, but both plate day and night over your old one and the GPU power again, budget is still better

AMD are doing a new APU basically a Ryzen 1400 with cut down Vega , which again would be 10 times better then your current APU

Thanks, but that's way above my budget. I was thinking closer to £250-300!

Soldato
Op said he doesn't play games so, I'd just buy a second hand board to replace the broken one.
Maybe throw in an SSD drive if he doesn't have one..

DDR4 prices are bonkers currently, so if the current system does the job... Why upgrade.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately, I'm not sure what's broken either the cpu or the mobo. And without spare of each I'm not sure how I can work out which. I'm open to suggestions.

Currently have SSD and two HDD

Soldato
I'm not saying it's out of the realms of possibilities for the CPU to fail, but unless it's been running high voltage or very hot, or your really really unlucky, my money would be on a motherboard fault. (unless there are other influence).

Soldato
Op said he doesn't play games so, I'd just buy a second hand board to replace the broken one.
Maybe throw in an SSD drive if he doesn't have one..

DDR4 prices are bonkers currently, so if the current system does the job... Why upgrade.

Ah, completely forgot, Intel system can ditch the GPU saving a lot of cash and Ryzen can still in a second hand £30 odd card in

Associate
OP
Hi, sorry, had stuff on so not been able to spend any time on this.

Found a 9800 GTX, which I appreciate is very old, however appears to be in line with my last APU! Will this work with the following?

final thoughts are this:
Total: £287.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Back
Top Bottom