Current state of 3D TV's

Soldato
I'm thinking of upgrading my TV and one of the main reasons is I'm itching to try 3D. My current TV is an LG42LD450, so not amazing, but not massively out of date.

Obviously it's fairly new technology so is the stuff available now really worth the £300-400 it'll cost me to upgrade? I've already got a 3D capable Bluray player.

Is there any new tech on the horizon that's worth waiting for over the next ~6 months? I realise there's always something on the horizon with technology, but is there something bigger than normal coming up?!

Has anyone upgraded to 3D then wished they didn't?

Associate
I wouldnt upgrade just for 3D, yes upgrade to a better or larger TV and think of 3D as a bonus.
Ive got quite a few 3D films and some are very good (Avatar) and some not so good (Transformers Dark of the moon).

The next big step in 3D is going to be glassless viewing but its going to be a while before we see it coming to affordable TV's.

Like I said, upgrade your TV for a better set and it will probable have 3D anyway but dont upgrade just for the sake of 3D ...its not worth it.

BTW look into the advantages of passive and active 3D technology before you decide what brand to go for.

Soldato
when i bought a new tv before xmas i got one with 3D, but i got the tv because there was a deal on it and it was $200 less than i had budgeted. The 3D was just an added bonus.

Associate
The next big step in 3D is going to be glassless viewing but its going to be a while before we see it coming to affordable TV's.

true, but strictly speaking the next big step in TV is actually 4k video. 40bit, 8.8 million pixels! vs 2.07 million on blueray. There are a few high end projectors and TV`s capable. On the HDMI website its the main new feature as its coming in a few years time. PS4 will play 4K video, AMD advertise this on their new HDMI 1.4 cards as a feature.

Apparently 4K on a decent set is meant to be as good as polarised 3D even with it being 2D as the image clarity and definition is so good. Of course playing a PC game at this resolution will really **** all over the nxt generation 1080p consoles :D

cynically its also a good way to keep the next generation internet connections and home storage solutions crippled for a bit longer to reduce 'piracy' and require the next gen machines.

Last edited:
Caporegime
true, but strictly speaking the next big step in TV is actually 4k video. 40bit, 8.8 million pixels! vs 2.07 million on blueray. There are a few high end projectors and TV`s capable. On the HDMI website its the main new feature as its coming in a few years time. PS4 will play 4K video, AMD advertise this on their new HDMI 1.4 cards as a feature.

Apparently 4K on a decent set is meant to be as good as polarised 3D even with it being 2D as the image clarity and definition is so good. Of course playing a PC game at this resolution will really **** all over the nxt generation 1080p consoles :D

So which is it - are the next gen consoles going to do 4k or 1080p? And will they really do 4k, or will they just upscale the same way the current "1080p, honest" consoles do?

Soldato
It'll be yonks before we start getting a worthwhile amount of 4K content. The next big step for me will be flat panel tvs that can match CRTs for picture quality, motion handling and response.

Soldato
So which is it - are the next gen consoles going to do 4k or 1080p? And will they really do 4k, or will they just upscale the same way the current "1080p, honest" consoles do?

His post did seem a bit odd didn't it :D

I doubt we will seeing True 4K anytime soon in games if we want to keep our current graphical effects. As for films and such most big blockbusters are already using 4K RED cameras so they should be about sometime next year I would hope with a few TVs/Monitors. With tablet/phone screen pixel density increasing at the rate it is monitors can't be that far behind for a price :p

For 3D as mentioned above I wouldn't aim for 3D as a main feature as there isn't really that much great content for 3D that you can continually use. Most TVs will do 2D-3D conversion of the fly but this obviously has varied results.

Associate

cynically its also a good way to keep the next generation internet connections and home storage solutions crippled for a bit longer to reduce 'piracy' and require the next gen machines.

A Properly Calibrated good quality 2D full HD TV looks pretty 3D now - it has 90% of the depth a 3D TV has without all the flaws like cross talk - obviously stuff doesnt come out the screen, but that always looks **** / artificial to me unless its just a quick thing - like the football in the orange advert at the cinema - those who have seen will know what I mean, thats a cool effect
However the quality of the stuff you feed it is at the moment quite poor with the odd exceptions.

I watch a lot of blu rays - I have a blockbuster online account new blu rays all the time - not every blu ray is that great - even the new films.
And there is no way they are maxing out blu ray storage capacity yet - when you compare 99% of other films to the Avatar Special Edition which is about 3 hours long off full screen and a THX Soundtrack.

Therefore the next step 4K screens will be great - except everthing will be upscaled for years as the "source" is well behind the tech.

Getting a better quality TV is definately worth while, you can get amazing results from 2D only sets once they are calibrated.
Calibrating your TV properly is as good if not better than buying a new one as it costs about £100 for an eye1

Soldato
Calibrating your TV properly is as good if not better than buying a new one as it costs about £100 for an eye1
Can you expand on this? Most of this stuff goes over my head at the moment but I'm in the market for a new TV in the next few months so am trying to learn the ins and outs... bit of a minefield so far!

Soldato
I've just bought a 3D capable tv (active) to replace my ageing 5yrs old LCD. This tv will be a big improvement on my old one, full HD, LED, smart etc etc, but I must admit the 3D was a big draw as I have a 3D monitor (LG passive) for Pc gaming and have been well impressed with the quality of the 3D in gaming. However, I know this tv will do me for a few years regardless of 3D, which for me is a bonus. Take this approach and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. A lot of people seem to be knocking 3D as a gimmick but I dont see it that way at all, its a bonus as far as I'm concerned.:D

Associate
Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the advice guys. I was speaking to my brother the other day about this and he said he'd be interested in buying my current tv. So that's good enough reason to upgrade as I can get a few quid from him for it. I'll be back here in a couple of months asking for advice on the best unit :D

Soldato
Just took delivery yesterday of this Sharp 3D TV and cant believe how good it is. After a wee bit of tweaking the picture is beautiful, cant believe how much better this is compared to my old Panny Viera Lcd which I thought had a great picture. As for the 3D, I love it, watched Captain America on Sky 3D and thought it looked amazing. Watched the Arsenal V Chelsea on Sky 3D and really enjoyed the 3D effect, thought it looked 'natural', game was rubbish though. Bought this from Sainsburys online for £499.99 which included one pair of Active glasses. Well pleased and thoroughly recommend. :D:D:D

Associate
Tv finally turned up then rolypoly ;) i'm still deciding on a tv. This Sharp does sound decent from what you say, a few have recommended the Panasonic TX-42ST30 which does look good but is £50 more. I'm still not sure about 3d.

Associate
I bought a Sony 3d tv a week ago and didnt even bother getting the glasses with it i just wasnt interested but today i thought id get a pair and try 3D and mighty glad i did.

Theres a bunch of clips of 3D content you can watch if you have wifi i think theres maybe 74 clips ranging from games movies pop videos ect which ranged from ok good and OMG that was amazing images.

Just watched THOR in 3D and was very impressed im very glad i got a 3D tv now.

Back
Top Bottom