Custom PC Build Worth

Associate
I got a custom gaming PC built for a rather low price by a computer company whom I have been friends with for many years, and wanted to check what you guys thought of it.

The PC Cost £470
Specs:
MOBO: ASUS P5G41T-MLX3
PSU: OCZ Bronze 550W
CPU: Pentium Dual Core E6600 3.06GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 560 SE
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
HDD: Hitachi 500GB

Personally I feel it was VERY worth it, but I want other peoples opinions.

Associate
That's a 775 pentium. You got mugged on the CPU and motherboard. For a gaming pc with a 560 in it you are very CPU limited. I had a similar CPU (slower stock but overclocked higher) and started running into problems with it over a year ago on medium settings on older games. Got a q6600 which helped a lot.

Soldato
er... no. A dual core Core2Duo setup for nearly £500? Bad value, very bad value.

Were they using up old parts or something?

How much value do you place on them building it for you?

Also.. does the price include a legal copy of windows? (Also.. which version if it does).

Associate
Price approximations for your current rig:

[MOBO] £40 (Guess based on OcUK equivelent)
[CPU] £55 (Guess based on US value)
[GPU] £135 (Guess based on OcUK equivelent)
[RAM] £24 (Guess based on OcUK equivelent)
[HDD] £60 (Geuss based on OcUK equivelent)
[PSU] Not enough info on the PSU.

I'd say around £350 total, if you had put together the system yourself.

Associate
I agree with the above, but at the same time you shouldn't let it dishearten you that much, you've got a new pc thatll run games and youll be happy with it im sure.

Generally after making a purchase i dont ask peoples opinions, it can ruin it.

Associate
OP
That's a 775 pentium. You got mugged on the CPU and motherboard. For a gaming pc with a 560 in it you are very CPU limited. I had a similar CPU (slower stock but overclocked higher) and started running into problems with it over a year ago on medium settings on older games. Got a q6600 which helped a lot.

I am currently looking into buying a q9950

Associate
I got Windows 7 Home Premium with it

Which makes the price more understandable, so once again don't be disheartened by the previous posts.

However next time, check with forums first? I had a custom pc build back when i was 15 done by a gaming cafe, generally had issues with it, eventually i got about 1 years use out of it before it died and i gave up on it, for £600, that was a few years savings back then lol.

Associate
yeh as others have said with windows it makes the price more understandable. and dont be disheartened by the other posts. it does wat u want. and a new cpu will help

Soldato
yeh as others have said with windows it makes the price more understandable. and dont be disheartened by the other posts. it does wat u want. and a new cpu will help

Yup... it was the only way I could possibly understand the price he had been charged which is why I asked :)

The suggestion of a Q9950 I don't think is 'good value', I think you would be better trying to get a Q6600 G0 and overclocking. It's still a very good chip, and a hell of a lot better than the chip you've got.

It's not 'that bad' a system, it's just we think you could have done better for the money.

Associate
i bought my daughter this for just £189.99 + £45 for GPU i think i got a bargain it does for what she need its for (shes only 9 ) :D

Processor
•Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor 3.2Ghz,
•8GB DDR3 RAM
•750GB (1x750GB) SATA II Hard Drive
•Super multi DVDRW
•Operating System: None
Display
•Monitor Not Included
Graphics
•Nvidia 430
PSU 300 watt

already had monitor and windows 7 64bit ultimate , just them two things brings the price down so much.

Last edited:
Soldato
i bought my daughter this for just £189.99 + £45 for GPU i think i got a bargain it does for what she need its for (shes only 9 ) :D

Processor
•Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor 3.2Ghz,
•8GB DDR3 RAM
•750GB (1x750GB) SATA II Hard Drive
•Super multi DVDRW
•Operating System: None
Display
•Monitor Not Included
Graphics
•Nvidia 430
PSU 300 watt

already had monitor and windows 7 64bit ultimate , just them two things brings the price down so much.

Zoostorm?

Back
Top Bottom