Customer loyalty, does it matter.....

Soldato
Not sure if this is the place to post this, or if I should even be posting this at all, but I need to blow off steam somewhere.

I don't intend to advertise or make known another company or even mention them, as frankly I won't be going back to them so here goes, please bare with me on this.

So I am in the process of trying to build another pc, I need it to do a bit of everything, I am doing it for the kids as I believe they need a hobby that could teach them something, I have an autistic 8 year old son, and a 9 year old son, who loves gaming and both say they want to become youtubers, crazy idea I know, both great young lads.

My problem is as a lot of people we are on a tight budget, lost my job yada yada, so I look around for the best deals, with what I have.

So I am sure all you have heard of **** computers, this being the closest computer outlet to me, here is what happened, nothing major but it annoyed me, so I go on Ebay searching for possibly a second hand GPU and any other things I could save money on, and **** have listed used parts, as many others do, so I message the **** Ebay guy and ask about a GTX 1080ti they had that was used.

The price he had was more than last years brand new, so I offered £500 which is more than reasonable I thought, anyway he came back with a price of £680. :eek:

So I thought it makes no sense to buy a used card for so much money, especially when for a few hundred more I should be future proofed for years. Anyway so I said or messaged that I have been a customer going to **** for many years, I have spent a lot over the years on PC parts with them, you would think that if you always go and buy from that company then you should be given a discount for the loyalty of being a returning customer over the years, and I made this point to the Ebay **** guy and all he came back with is that unfortunately there is a shortage for GPUs at the minute or some utter nonsense, and that they make very little profit on them, yeah right, like you are not part of a super rich company that has the shop floor worth as much as a Saudi oil prince.

Anyway I am here due to using OC a few times and not being disappointed, although is it just me having hardly any money left, the reason I feel hard done by? maybe or maybe not, or should big computer companies, who will always be in business due to the evolving computer world, give customers discounts if they spend big amounts at a time on building computers?

Sorry for the rant guys, just my ten pence.

I don't really understand everything you're getting at from the above but what I do pick out is that you say money is tight but you're trying to buy a 1080ti for an 8 and 9 year old. Good Lord - if this is a new computer get them a mid-range Ryzen APU and use the integrated graphics.

As to discounts, it would be nice. But margins on graphics cards are actually pretty tight as I understand it. They might charge £600 but most of that is already spent when they get it from the OEM.

Associate
OcUK only do B Grade products not second hand.

If it's going to take you a long time to build a PC with a 1080ti you're never going to build a PC as by the time you've saved up for it it'll be so out of date. Pick a budget you can afford to spend and buy the best possible machine for that right now. You don't need a 1080ti unless you're planning on gaming at 1440p/4k with high refresh rates and running everything on ultra.

£500 would get an excellent gaming PC which can run "most" games on medium settings at 1080p.

I agree with this. I bought my gaming PC on a budget. Cost £500. You don't need to spend £500 on just the GPU. Save your money :)

Soldato
I use to buy most of my stuff off the OCUK members market, tail end of last year was the first time I'd built an entirely new PC.. then realised that the GPU was still second hand :D

Old habits die hard..

Man of Honour
That is why I am now here, my last resort is to save the extra and buy the 2080ti, this should be good for quiet some time, and I will be buying it from OC when that time comes, as they are cheaper.

I think you're overdoing and misapplying the futureproofing thing. It does apply strongly in many areas ( https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/72745-the-reason-that-the-rich-were-so-rich-vimes-reasoned ) but nowhere near as much in PC hardware.

High end PC hardware is almost always much more expensive and has a much lower performance per cost than a bit further down the range. It will not remain top of the range for long. Those two factors greatly reduce how applicable the general idea of futureproofing by buying high end stuff is to PC hardware. In many cases, futureproofing can be done more effectively by buying midrange twice, once now and once in a few years. It often costs less and midrange in a few years is often better than top of the range today. A 9 year old who plays games and wants to make videos on Youtube won't have any need of a 2080 Ti and would be equally well served by a much cheaper card.

By the way, graphics cards are unusually expensive at the moment (though less than they were a few months ago). There are times in which some used graphics cards do sell for more than the price of some new graphics cards of the same type (but not necessarily the same model) in the past. A top quality 1080 Ti (or whatever) card may well sell for more used than a bog standard 1080 Ti (or whatever) sold for a year earlier. What you were told is not nonsense - it's the truth. There was a period of time during which it was very difficult to buy some models of graphics cards new at any price because any stock that came in sold within hours, even minutes. As for expecting a >20% discount because you've bought stuff from there before...eh, what?

Associate
OP
Post your total budget for the PC and what you want it for in this forum:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/new-to-pc-gaming-upgrade-advice.172/

Buying a top end card does not make your money last longer, better to get a mid range and save the rest for an upgrade in the near future. Why pay the flagship premium to be playing with a super old card down the line if all you are after is functionality?

What games do your boys play and on what monitor?

Please don't tell me you are hunting for a Ti to ramp up minecraft...
Well Minecraft is an obvious but, games like Warframe, COD, and many I have not even heard about, I am probably silly in going for a high end card for a first card, my old card before we had a leak from the bathroom was a gtx980, it was suggested and I bought it, thanks for the link I will be there in just a minute.

Short of money... spending £500 on a GPU and now considering buying a 2080ti instead. Err, OK.
Yeah like £500 is all I have and saved that up for years, can I not have one moment to slam the hell out of that bad company for not giving me the discount? come on now,
so having £500 means I am not short on money? wow really, how much are your bills per month I need that lifestyle if £500 makes me rich, you do know when you spend your money it is then gone right? and I dont mean to offend or anything, I am confused as to why you would think £500 makes you not short on money, If I have £20000 how long do you think that lasts when you have kids to pay for? rent, gas, electric, especially with them addicted to gaming?, maybe I am a bad parent, I am no computer pro, I get told you need this card for that game and alsorts and have no idea what the hell half of that means, oh well that is life, some people have it some dont and I certainly dont when it comes to computers.

You don't know what you want if you don't know what is adequate.
That is what I need to learn.

I'm sitting with a 290x,
I play everything, no real issues with any game on a single 1080p monitor
Future proofing's not a thing with PC's, Buy what you need, upgrade when you need.
Some of the new AMD cards are adequate enough
for gaming and streaming or whatever they do with video for youtube? as they are much cheaper and seem within range.

No, there's nothing wrong with asking. Kicking up a fuss and boycotting the company because they said no is a massive overreaction though.
I agree, I apologize and lost it, I cannot help that at times, I have issues, I am not sure on wording things correctly and find it difficult to express myself and opinion without coming across like I am taking the michael.

Better make sure he gets some £4k speaker cable to ensure it's the very best though!
As long as its 1/4 and does the job eh?

This thread has fried my mind after an already hectic day.

Stop the world I want to get off.
I feel like this in bouts daily welcome to my world, and can feel like this at any given moment.

This has to be a troll surely.
Nope not at all, sorry if you think that.

This thread is full of win! Priorities! :rolleyes::D
What did you expect I wrote it.

I use to buy most of my stuff off the OCUK members market, tail end of last year was the first time I'd built an entirely new PC.. then realised that the GPU was still second hand :D

Old habits die hard..
Can you direct me to this please? I would love to have a look.

Associate
OP
I think you're overdoing and misapplying the futureproofing thing. It does apply strongly in many areas ( https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/72745-the-reason-that-the-rich-were-so-rich-vimes-reasoned ) but nowhere near as much in PC hardware.

High end PC hardware is almost always much more expensive and has a much lower performance per cost than a bit further down the range. It will not remain top of the range for long. Those two factors greatly reduce how applicable the general idea of futureproofing by buying high end stuff is to PC hardware. In many cases, futureproofing can be done more effectively by buying midrange twice, once now and once in a few years. It often costs less and midrange in a few years is often better than top of the range today. A 9 year old who plays games and wants to make videos on Youtube won't have any need of a 2080 Ti and would be equally well served by a much cheaper card.

By the way, graphics cards are unusually expensive at the moment (though less than they were a few months ago). There are times in which some used graphics cards do sell for more than the price of some new graphics cards of the same type (but not necessarily the same model) in the past. A top quality 1080 Ti (or whatever) card may well sell for more used than a bog standard 1080 Ti (or whatever) sold for a year earlier. What you were told is not nonsense - it's the truth. There was a period of time during which it was very difficult to buy some models of graphics cards new at any price because any stock that came in sold within hours, even minutes. As for expecting a >20% discount because you've bought stuff from there before...eh, what?
I understand and it sounds silly now I think about it, without threads like this I cannot learn as it takes a while of being silly for me to understand so for that I apologize, but I am sure the 1080tis were less than £600 new months ago, and now the price has risen and the market has gone crazy, the cpus are the same a friend of mine said he paid £305 or something for a 8086k and now they are much more expensive.

Associate
OP
Wont mention companies.

Proceeds to mention direct competitor to Overclockers.

I also lost interest after that, I feel like you're explaining how to build a watch when all you needed to do was tell us the time.

Edit: fine. I read it. I understand your predicament and it does suck but at the end of the day they're a business, not a charity. Asking for a small discount might return a result but asking for that kind of discount is pushing it.
If you dont ask dont get right? :D I looked back at all this and now I know that I need to aim lower.

Associate
OP
You need to assert your dominance and beat those sort of thoughts out of them.
I am thinking that that might be for the best, not beating them up though but not being youtubers, although some youtubers are completely strange and just sit talking about the games they are playing and make millions for what seems to be doing nothing that others cant do.

Back
Top Bottom