Customer loyalty, does it matter.....

Man of Honour
Yeah like £500 is all I have and saved that up for years, can I not have one moment to slam the hell out of that bad company for not giving me the discount? come on now,
so having £500 means I am not short on money? wow really, how much are your bills per month I need that lifestyle if £500 makes me rich, you do know when you spend your money it is then gone right? and I dont mean to offend or anything, I am confused as to why you would think £500 makes you not short on money, If I have £20000 how long do you think that lasts when you have kids to pay for? rent, gas, electric, especially with them addicted to gaming?, maybe I am a bad parent, I am no computer pro, I get told you need this card for that game and alsorts and have no idea what the hell half of that means, oh well that is life, some people have it some dont and I certainly dont when it comes to computers.
I've already said it's your money and nothing to do with me. Spend it as you wish. It's none of my business. I haven't mentioned your parenting skills so I am not sure why you want to bring that up.

But I wasn't suggesting that £500 makes you not short of money. I was saying the opposite; that if you are short of money then perhaps spending £500 on a luxury is perhaps not the best idea until you can more easily afford it. But as I have said a few times now, your finances are nothing to do with me. Your choice. Your decision, etc.

I'm not standing here preaching as quite frankly I am very short of money too right now and I absolutely do know the cost of children as I have two.

Anyway... I think we got off to a bad start which wasn't intentional. As others have suggested in the thread I think it would be a good idea to understand your system, requirements and the games played. Some other very knowledgeable people can then give some advice on the most suitable approach.

Associate
OP
I've already said it's your money and nothing to do with me. Spend it as you wish. It's none of my business. I haven't mentioned your parenting skills so I am not sure why you want to bring that up.

But I wasn't suggesting that £500 makes you not short of money. I was saying the opposite; that if you are short of money then perhaps spending £500 on a luxury is perhaps not the best idea until you can more easily afford it. But as I have said a few times now, your finances are nothing to do with me. Your choice. Your decision, etc.

I'm not standing here preaching as quite frankly I am very short of money too right now and I absolutely do know the cost of children as I have two.

Anyway... I think we got off to a bad start which wasn't intentional. As others have suggested in the thread I think it would be a good idea to understand your system, requirements and the games played. Some other very knowledgeable people can then give some advice on the most suitable approach.
I am just overthinking things I think, but I agree I do need to understand my systems ect, I am lacking in that department, but I will learn, the thing about people getting off on the wrong foot is down to my bad text skills, I apologize. I hate text as I feel more comfy talking to people as I seem they understand what I try say better.

Soldato
I know right, like nobody can lose their job and have £500 its impossible, I am the luckiest man alive yet can only afford a GPU for my machine that is 5 years old. Although to some of you this may seem a joke it aint trust me, it took me a while to save this.

I think our main concern we're trying to help you with is not that you can't be short of money and still spend £500, but that if you're short of money you need to make sure you get the maximum value for your money that you can. You could buy a whole PC or laptop for that sort of money and an 8 and 9 year old wont care about the difference between those graphics and a 1080ti. Heck, you need a good monitor to get the full benefit of the 1080ti anyway. Get them something cheaper and leave a little bit of budget spare as well in case you need any extra bits and bobs you've overlooked. Your kids will be overjoyed at their present anyway because kids don't care about going on forums bragging about their graphics card - they just actually enjoy what's in front of them. :)

Caporegime
It's not just the money and the loss of the job, it's getting a machine with a powerful GPU that will likely take more time away from things you should be prioritising. I know I'm like that anyway, where when I get an upgrade I'll spend a lot more time on the PC for the coming weeks/months.

Get something that plays game on high/max settings at 1080p, 1070 will be just fine. Your kids don't need 8xMSAA and ambient occlusion to enjoy them. I know it can be difficult with autism as well as a lad I know gets fixated on a certain model/product and then won't settle for less.

Soldato
Loyalty works both ways

Would you spend £100 extra on a GPU from a company who has previously given you good service? Most people would find the cheapest price and buy it.

You say you have spent lots of money with that retailer, so I assume they have given you good service.....so pay the extra? Why don't YOU look after them?

It's a bit like the high street when people moan about shops closing down, yet spend their money with Amazon.

Price wins.

Soldato
Post your total budget for the PC and what you want it for in this forum:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/new-to-pc-gaming-upgrade-advice.172/

@OP go to this section of the forum.

Post up what you're expected budget is, and what you need - i.e. you mentioned earlier you have a monitor, are you planning to keep that, or buying a new one.

Also post up what you intend to use the PC for, are you playing the latest AAA games - you mentioned minecraft which pretty much runs on anything these days.

I think Diddums mentioned earlier in the thread about this being like you're buying a lambo when all you need is a focus - which is quite apt. It's actually like buying a lambo and only taking it around the street for a quick spin.

To put it an easier way, there is absolutely no point in spending £1k+ on a GPU if you're not going to maximise the use out of it - i.e. if you only plan to game at 1080p resolutions. FWIW a more expensive card does not mean it's more future proofed, it just means it's more capable at playing games with higher details and at greater resolutions. 4K monitors are still quite expensive, so unless you're planning to buy/use a 4k monitor with your build, i'd get a mid-range card and get more bang for your buck.

No-one's here to judge you (at least most of us :p) but it's quite evident you've got no idea what hardware you need to meet your requirements, and rather than spending thousands on a new PC that will barely use its full power, you'd be much better off getting something better suited.

Associate
Not sure on Mboard its MSI, running a 4790k, 32gb ddr3 2400 hyperx beast, the gpu is a AMD r9 200 card, and using a 28 inch AOC monitor I think. I have this for sometime now.

That's not a bad machine already, all you realistically need is a new graphics card. Get a second hand GTX 1070 on ebay for £250, preferably EVGA as their warranty is good.

This is an enthusiast forum, most on here are frames per second chasers and that get's very expensive very quickly for minimal difference. Don't waste money upgrading the whole lot, you don't need it.

But I just go off most expensive, and the latest, but I am unrealistic, anyway I will be back my electric is about to go.

Youtubers stream 5+ hours most days without fail to stay current. You're gonna be toppin' up that meter a lot!

Caporegime
Not sure if this is the place to post this, or if I should even be posting this at all, but I need to blow off steam somewhere.

I don't intend to advertise or make known another company or even mention them, as frankly I won't be going back to them so here goes, please bare with me on this.

So I am in the process of trying to build another pc, I need it to do a bit of everything, I am doing it for the kids as I believe they need a hobby that could teach them something, I have an autistic 8 year old son, and a 9 year old son, who loves gaming and both say they want to become youtubers, crazy idea I know, both great young lads.

My problem is as a lot of people we are on a tight budget, lost my job yada yada, so I look around for the best deals, with what I have.

So I am sure all you have heard of this other company, this being the closest computer outlet to me, here is what happened, nothing major but it annoyed me, so I go on Ebay searching for possibly a second hand GPU and any other things I could save money on, and they have listed used parts, as many others do, so I message them on ebay and ask about a GTX 1080ti they had that was used.

The price he had was more than last years brand new, so I offered £500 which is more than reasonable I thought, and a lot of money to pay for a "GPU SO IT SEEMS" anyway he came back with a price of £680. :eek:

So I thought it makes no sense to buy a used card for so much money, especially when for a few hundred more I should be future proofed for years. Anyway so I said or messaged that I have been a customer going to them for many years, I have spent a lot over the years on PC parts with them, you would think that if you always go and buy from that company then you should be given a discount for the loyalty of being a returning customer over the years, and I made this point to the them via ebay, and all they came back with is that unfortunately there is a shortage for GPUs at the minute or some utter nonsense, and that they make very little profit on them, yeah right, like you are not part of a super rich company that has the shop floor worth as much as a Saudi oil prince.

Anyway I am here due to using OC a few times and not being disappointed, although is it just me having hardly any money left, the reason I feel hard done by? maybe or maybe not, or should big computer companies, who will always be in business due to the evolving computer world, give customers discounts if they spend big amounts at a time on building computers?

Sorry for the rant guys, just my ten pence.

you need to seriously sort yourself out.

you don't have a job yet are looking at £700 second hand GPU's?

also they are a business and there is a shortage of GPU's so you should really do some research before spouting drivel which 95+% of your post was. i don't think i have ever asked for a discount anywhere just because i have shopped there before. to even ask would be quite frankly embarrassing. i would only ask for a discount if the product was damaged (scratches, etc) or ex-display on clearance.

at the end of the day they don't have to sell you the GPU.

also if you are looking for a discount and so upset about it, it seems to me you really can't afford it. which goes back to my first point. what are you playing at? you dont have a job. you shouldn't be building any PC period unless you need it to fill in job applications.

Soldato
For bricks and motar retailers, I will happily pay a small precentage over the going rate if I receive great service and advice.

Online, if I can get the same cheaper item from another reliable retailer, I will do so.

Man of Honour
To go back to the question, “Does customer loyalty matter?”, some companies must think so.
Some 35-40 years back, I was in L.A. on holiday with a friend, just two Londoners, chasing tail, and having a ball.
At the time, my friend had a TR6 back home, and he kept noticing them in California, with unusual wheel trims.
We went to a British Leyland dealer in L.A., and he asked for a set.
The sales clerk said that he was sorry, there were only three in stock, but as it was obvious that we were visitors, where were we staying?
We told him of our motel on the P.C.H., and he turned up that evening with a set of four that he’d sourced from another dealer.
My friend paid him cash, and offered him $20 as a thank you.
He said, “Thanks, but forget it, if you’re ever here again, and need anything else, just remember where you got the trims.”
Now THAT is customer service, which commands loyalty.

Soldato
To go back to the question, “Does customer loyalty matter?”, some companies must think so.
Some 35-40 years back, I was in L.A. on holiday with a friend, just two Londoners, chasing tail, and having a ball.
At the time, my friend had a TR6 back home, and he kept noticing them in California, with unusual wheel trims.
The sales clerk said that he was sorry, there were only three in stock, but as it was obvious that we were visitors, where were we staying?
We told him of our motel on the P.C.H., and he turned up that evening with a set of four that he’d sourced from another dealer.
He said, “Thanks, but forget it, if you’re ever here again, and need anything else, just remember where you got the trims.”

Heard similar stories, but all from America

TJM

TJM

Associate
I'm going to assume this isn't a troll and offer one bit of advice - attempting to future proof your PC by overspending is a waste of money. Buy a cheaper GPU every few years that suits your usage and other components at the time instead.

Caporegime

his whole business model is likely based on loyalty as he is likely a 1 man band. would you get that same treatment in ASDA? they would say sorry it's not in stock come back tomorrow or try one of our other stores or order online.

different business's have different approaches. the type of business OP is talking about doesn't operate anything like your examples model. it doesn't need word of mouth or good customer service to sell stuff.

Soldato
Not sure on Mboard its MSI, running a 4790k, 32gb ddr3 2400 hyperx beast, the gpu is a AMD r9 200 card, and using a 28 inch AOC monitor I think. I have this for sometime now.

A) you don't need a new PC, and certainly not a £600+ GPU, I'm still running an i7-2600 with 16gb RAM and a 980ti and I can run everything at decent settings @ 3440x1440p

B) if you've just lost your job then for the love of god save that £500 until you get a new one, what are you going to do if your heating or car etc. breaks? Your kids will appreciate being safe and warm with food in their bellies far more than an unnecessarily powerful and expensive PC

Last edited:
Soldato
Over the counter customer service in the US is excellent. Whether that’s down to sales staff being on commission or all the competing stores having equally good CS, I couldn’t say.

Commission based roles can introduce other problems though. How do you keep a salesman honest when he's trying to get you to part with as much money as possible.

I got my first part time job at 16 in a Currys store, and this was not long after DSG had removed commission based pay from their staff. Which led to a lot of their top sales staff jumping ship to other industries where commission still existed - cars/sofas etc. If was their way of effectively propping up a minimum wage job with some extra cash.

Associate
OP
That's not a bad machine already, all you realistically need is a new graphics card. Get a second hand GTX 1070 on ebay for £250, preferably EVGA as their warranty is good.

This is an enthusiast forum, most on here are frames per second chasers and that get's very expensive very quickly for minimal difference. Don't waste money upgrading the whole lot, you don't need it.

Youtubers stream 5+ hours most days without fail to stay current. You're gonna be toppin' up that meter a lot!
I imagine so, I was looking into the AMD vega 64 cards as they are in my budget, I am sure they will play everything on the monitor I have and play them well, I have a 32inch AOC sure it is freesync whatever that means.

That sure is good to be treated this way.

So from what I have read on the replies, I would be ok with a much lower budget card and that should do for my needs? what do you think about the AMD vega 64 cards? as from the reviews they seem to be very good for the price, or even a 590 could be even better value for money, and is my 32inch monitor sufficient?

Caporegime
I imagine so, I was looking into the AMD vega 64 cards as they are in my budget, I am sure they will play everything on the monitor I have and play them well, I have a 32inch AOC sure it is freesync whatever that means.

That sure is good to be treated this way.

So from what I have read on the replies, I would be ok with a much lower budget card and that should do for my needs? what do you think about the AMD vega 64 cards? as from the reviews they seem to be very good for the price, or even a 590 could be even better value for money, and is my 32inch monitor sufficient?

get a second hand 1060 6Gb for £120

Back
Top Bottom