CV Advice

Associate
Hi guys, I'm currently working on an application for an internal vacency for which I'm guaranteed a trial so updating my CV is a bit of a formality, but I figured its worthwhile making sure its completely up to scratch. Please excuse the redactions, but some of the people I regularly deal with aren't very plesant and quit enjoy looking for information like this. What are peoples thoughts, feel free to be brutally honest?

Me

1 A Road, Some Town, Somewhere, C3 P0

Tel: 01234 567 890 Email: [email protected]

SUMMARY
I am a motivated and dedicated computer science graduate always looking to improve his knowledge, understanding and experience through academic study and self motivated learning. I have three years customer service experience and am keen to progress towards a more technical position.

EDUCATION

2009–2011 (Expected) University of Liverpool
MSc Computing Science

Modules taken:

• Professional Issues in Computing
• Computer Structures

Studying part time and consistently achieving grades of good or outstanding while maintaining a high level of quality and performance in my current employment.

2004–2007 University of Ulster
BSc (Hons) Computing Science 2:1

Modules taken include:

• Computer Networks
• Concurrent and Distributed Systems
• Advanced Database Systems
• Intelligent Systems
• Algorithms and Data Structures
• Networks and Data Communications

My final year project focused on the use of a simulated robotic environment as an aid for teaching object oriented programming. The findings were published in Italics, the peer reviewed journal for the Higher Education Academy co-authored with my project supervisor.
[Link to article].

2002 – 2004 University of Ulster
Associate Bachelors Degree in Computing Science Pass with Commendation

Modules taken include:

• Techniques of Expert Systems
• Systems Software
• Software Construction
• Computing Foundations
• Problem Solving
• Databases

1994 – 2002 Belfast Institute of Further and Higher Education and Carrickfergus Grammar School

A Levels:
Physics
ICT
Mathematics

GCSEs:
8 GCSEs at grade C or above including Mathematics, Advanced Mathematics and English

Work Experience

October 2007 – Present: [A Company]
[My Current Role]
My primary role is to provide analysis of the threat posed to [A Company] products by the use of macro programs. Based on this analysis I will make recommendations on how to effectively detect and deter the use of such programs in both our current products and those still in development.

I am also responsible for monitoring and maintaining the quality of other team members’ work on a weekly basis. More recently I assumed the responsibility for training new team members and developed a new and comprehensive one month training and assessment program.

I have also developed a number of systems within Microsoft Access and Excel that are relied upon heavily for tasks such as forecasting incoming work volumes and managing the recruitment of [Good people].

Aug 2004 – June 2005, Nov 2006 – Sept 2007: [Another Company] (Part-time)
My responsibilities were to maintain a clean and pleasant environment for our customers, ensure that there is no disruptive or distracting behaviour within the cinema screens and warning or removing customers engaged in such behaviour.

June 2005 – Sept 2006: [A Company]
[My Previous Role]
Initially provided support to the community by dealing with password requests, abuse reports and offence appeals. I was quickly promoted to [My Previous Role] where I began dealing with the detection of macros as well as working with eBay to remove any auctions that infringed upon [A Company]’s intellectual property.

During this time I promoted more proactive approach in dealing with the developers and users of macros and created the [My Previous Role] to seek out and monitor [Bad people].

Interests
Photography: I am a keen armature photographer and am always looking for new and interesting techniques to learn and experiment with.
Motorsport: I enjoy all forms of motorsport from Formula 1 to smaller club events such as SAXMAX
Life-long learning: I believe strongly in constantly increasing my knowledge and understanding and have already decided to teach myself Cocoa Touch to develop iPhone applications following the successful completion of my MSc.

Skills
Communication: I am regularly in discussion with multiple teams across [A Company] as well as documenting and preparing evidence to be passed on to our lawyers.
Team-working: I am constantly liaising with different teams within [A Company] and collaborating with them on different projects.
Initiative: [My Current Role] also requires a good deal of initiative and self reliance to identify possible threats and problem areas.
Organisation: My priority tasks are subject to frequent change requiring good time management and organisational skills to plan my week.

Last edited:
Associate
Pretty good.
Quibbles -
I would put your particular skills (relevant to the new role) in your summary at the top.
Not include the list of individual modules from the courses, only the final projects. This is the sort of detail that may be drawn out in the interview.

Back
Top Bottom