CV help

Associate
Hey all,

So my girlfriend has been made redundant and currently having a hard time looking for a job.
I was wondering we can get some feedback on her CV.

I know she want's to get into finance but doesn't have any qualifications. Is accounts payable possible?
But at this moment in time she's happy to land any job in administration to waitering.

Thanks in advance.

Link to PDF:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16C2p6hvTSuIptLHNlQn6AtJRxbxhKeLO/view?usp=sharing

Soldato
You don't need qualifications or experience to break into a Finance role, but it will help. The first several papers of AAT can easily be completed self-study with no hands on experience, I'd suggest she orders the books off of Amazon and ploughs through them at a rate of knots. Bit of dedicated study and some aptitude for the subject and you'll easily get through the first 3 or 4 papers in a month or two.

That looks like a strong enough CV for an entrance level Finance role, if thats what she was looking for I'd try and draw out the aspects of her experience that would be particular relevant to a finance position and marginalise some of the customer services stuff she has done. The one thing that I get from looking at the CV is 'why finance?' - I'd expect that to come up at the interview stage when she makes it that far so have a strong answer prepared.

My other half is in a similar position to yours, work has decided to force a change to a zero hour contract with no guaranteed hours to avoid making her redundant (so she misses out on a 6 year pay off, *****) which we're currently looking at the legality of. She is also looking for a finance/admin role and I've got her working through the AAT papers.

Man of Honour
Any reason her A-level grades aren't listed? Their absence leads me rightly or wrongly to the assumption that they must be poor, and as it's the very last thing on the page, it doesn't leave a good lasting impression.

"one of the best performers in upselling, Marriott Rewards enrolment and top check-in experience performer."
This bit should be a bit more prominent, it is buried underneath mundane text like checking guests in and out and making sure they have the right room which will have readers tuning out. Anything that makes her stand out from crowd rather than just listing basic duties carries more value.

Give the finance aspects of the Duty Manager role a bit more focus.

Room Controller role has a lot of guff that's probably not that relevant to the sort of roles she wants. As above, she doesn't need to list out a bunch of tasks about looking after rooms at a hotel, that is a given - it's a bit like a chef saying they cooked food rather than focusing on any key success stories, or other elements of the role that are transferable to their career path.

Caporegime
I presume the "A Levels" perhaps weren't but were some Slovak equivalent ergo just writing "A Levels"... not really of much interest given she has a degree/2:1.

Just skimmed it but I don't think anyone cares about the mundane aspects of her various basic jobs tbh.. could perhaps cut down the CV to 1 page even. Achievements are good to mention though and/or anything that might be relevant to the desired finance role.

This youtube channel was linked to in another thread by @iamtheoneneo it's a bit waffly at times but they seem to make some good points:

Soldato
It's a pretty reasonable CV given her experience. I assume she has right to remain or whatever it is called, make sure to include that.

Associate
OP
That’s for all the replies. I’ve shown her all the replies on here. Will update with any changes.

Reason for not including A levels because she has a degree and thought there’s no need to include her A levels.

Man of Honour
A Levels are included insofar as they are mentioned though... :) It wouldn't even take an extra line of space to expand on this a bit to put the grades in brackets e.g:
A Levels - Mathematics(A), Economics(B), English(C)
What subjects were they in? If they are in a subject potentially relevant to her preferred career choice (e.g. Mathematics) then I would be stating that. You've said she wants to get into Finance but doesn't have any qualifications, so what she should be doing is maximising what she has got that could give the reader confidence that she could be a good investment.

Back
Top Bottom