CV: Multiple job titles at same employer

Soldato
Hi,

I'm having trouble deciding how best to display multiple job titles (same thing but increasing level) at the same company, both on LinkedIn and on my CV.

At the moment I don't have any descriptions of my roles on LinkedIn so it's quite straight forward, I've just got :

Lead Job Title (Jul 2017 - Present)
Employer Name 2
Lead Job Title (Jul 2015 - Jul 2017)
Employer Name 1
Normal Job Title (Aug 2010 - Jul 2015)
Employer Name 1
Junior Job Title (Jul 2006 - Sep 2009)
Employer Name 1

When it comes to representing this on a CV I am struggling.

Three of the roles are with the same employer. They are the same role but at Junior/Normal/Lead level. I think ideally I'd just write about the most recent and most senior position as it really supersedes the others, but I don't want to misrepresent the situation as though I've held that post for the entire period of employment.

These are the options I can think of:
A.) List all of the roles and dates but only write about the most recent and senior one at that company
B.) List all job titles and dates and write a little bit for each - feels like a waste of valuable CV space
C.) Just list the most recent title encompassing the whole date range - seems potentially dishonest as it might imply I held the most recent role for the whole employment period.

Can you think of any other ways of doing this? If you've has the same situation what did you do?

Thanks for the input and good look to anyone else job hunting at the moment.

Cheers

Edit: P.S. Employer 1 > Employer 2 was TUPE so it's still sort of the same thing again.

Associate
State your current job title only as that is the only thing that is relevant. Put your original start date and then explain that you moved up through the ranks in your personal statement if you feel like it.

Soldato
What's the problem with listing them separately? They are decent chunks of time in each role, listing your increased responsibilities and progression is a good thing imo.

You can't just put "Lead Job Title - 2006-2017", as it's a lie.

Caporegime
List them separately under the one employer, if it is a promotion, then state that!

Employer squee
-Team lead: Jan 17-Nov 17 - Promotion
-Assistant team lead: Feb 16-Jan 17 - Promotion
-Normal job: Oct 14-Feb 16

Not necessarily like that, but it shows progression.

As above though you can just put the one job title as it'll be a lie

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies. Would you do a combined description for all three roles at the one employer or would you break it up in to three to show the progression more?

Employer

Job 3 (Date from - Date to)
Job 2 (Date from - Date to)
Job 1 (Date from - Date to)
Combined description

Employer
Job 3 (Date from - Date to)
Description
Job 2 (Date from - Date to)
Description
Job 1 (Date from - Date to)
Description

Soldato
I would split them out and for the more junior roles focus on 2/3 bullet points that list the achievements that led to the promotion.

Caporegime
I would split them out and for the more junior roles focus on 2/3 bullet points that list the achievements that led to the promotion.

This.

The promoted role will more than likely be related, if it isn't just expand the description more on the previous roles but I'd still try keep them short.

Man of Honour
I've dwelled a bit on this myself when tweaking my CV.

What I came up with was where the roles are just more senior versions of the same thing, and hence the descriptions had a lot of overlaps/repetition, I grouped them. Where they were distinctly different disciplines, I separated them. So it was kinda like this (real scenario where I spiderwebbed from a senior role in one discipline to a non-senior role in another discipline):

Employer
Senior Job X (dates)
Job X (dates)
Combined Description

Senior Job Y (dates)
Job Y (dates)
Combined Description

Man of Honour
I usually just list the highest job title and a brief line that says started as X and worked my way to Y - anything more and most employers won't really care anyhow.

Soldato
At every employer I've worked for I've done several roles. I break all of them down on my CV as it shows progression. It's been commented on for every opportunity I've looked into - the fact I've progressed with each employer.

Back
Top Bottom