Cybenetics - Next Generation PSU Certification? Discussion

Associate
Cybenetics takes PSU certifications to the next level - Better than 80+?
If you have ever bought a PC power supply, you will know about the 80+ rating system. Every PSU that's worth caring about has been 80+ rated, but what if I told you that the 80+ rating system has flaws? This is where Cybenetics plans to innovate, as their ETA (power efficiency) and LAMBDA (PSU noise) standards will encourage PSU makers to create better PSUs.

Why do PSUs need a better rating system?

While the 80+ standard has encouraged power supply manufacturers to create more efficient units, recent years have shown is that power supply makers can game the system and tune their products to deliver higher efficiency levels at specific loads. By tuning their units, PSU makers can achieve higher efficiency ratings than they otherwise should, which is why Cybenetics feels that a change is required.

Instead of testing 3 or 4 designated loads, like the 80+ PSU standard, the Cybenetics ETA standard mandates PSU testing across its entire wattage range. Using over 1450 separate load combinations, Cybenetics can provide an overall efficiency rating using an average of all measurements. This alone prevents PSU makers from gaming the system with highly tunes units.

Cybenetics also focuses on additional areas like voltage ripple, noise, thermal measurements and power factor under consideration, adding further requirements to their standard aside from power efficiency.

Below is a glimpse of that Cybenetics PSU rating symbols look like, and you should get used to seeing them as more and more PSU manufacturers adopt their standards.

31095254104l.jpg

ETA Rating (Power Efficiency)

Cybenetics had adjusted their PSU efficiency rating system to match the 80+ system's naming scheme, offering efficiency levels named after precious materials. Cybenetics' Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Titanium standards are similar to the 80+ standards of the same name. However, additional factors are also considered, such as power factor (PF), 5VSD Efficiency, and "Vampire Power".

"Vampire Power" is the power that your power supply can use when your system is turned off. This power draw is wasted energy, and it is an aspect of power supplies which is not covered by today's 80+ standard. Cybenetics' ETA ratings require PSUs to meet a specific "Vampire Power" standard, ensuring that PSU manufacturers cannot release units which draw more than 0.25 watts when your system is turned off.

The 5VSB rail is the efficiency weak spot off most modern power supplies, and Cybenetics' ETA rating demands over a certain level of efficiency for this part of a power supply. This is another area of power supply efficiency that the 80+ standard does not cover.

With these new standards, Cybenetics wants to encourage PSU makers to create higher quality power supplies and discourage PSU makers from making tuned units that cheat today's 80+ testing system.

31095311235l.jpg

Lambda Rating (Noise Rating)

Nobody wants a power supply that sounds like a leafblower when it's running at its rated wattages. Today's PC builders are demanding quiet systems, and Cybenetics' Lambda rating system is designed to tell users how noisy their PSUs should be.

With this rating system, consumers should know which PSUs are loud and which PSUs are quiet under load. This will allow PC builders to create quiet systems more easily and encourage PSU manufacturers to decrease the noise output of their future units.

31095311449l.jpg

Cybenetics hopes to improve the PSU market by encouraging manufacturers to increase their standards. In time, Cybenetics' standards may replace today's 80+ rating system, setting a higher minimum bar for future PC power supplies.

Looking at the Testing Data it looks like a lot have went through the testing with most of the big players having multiple PSUs tested. Its interesting to see that not 1 of the 300 tested meets the new Diamond Standard (This is a good think as its going to be a goalpost for being the best in the market)

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&params=2,1,0

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=testimonials

Last edited:
Soldato
80+ according to wiki is a Voluntary standard. I don't think any manufacturer pays anyone for copyright advertising unless @pastymuncher can shed some light on this. Seems to me that this firm want manufacturers to pay them for this new standard, most buyers recognise the existing standard as it has been around for a while & Manufacturers wont want to confuse people by changing.

Associate
OP
80+ according to wiki is a Voluntary standard. I don't think any manufacturer pays anyone for copyright advertising unless @pastymuncher can shed some light on this. Seems to me that this firm want manufacturers to pay them for this new standard, most buyers recognise the existing standard as it has been around for a while & Manufacturers wont want to confuse people by changing.

Updated the original post and if you look at the test data https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&params=2,1,0 regardless of the cost the big PSU players seem to be onboard with the new standards. New Standards will improve Quality, and improve competition.

Man of Honour
I think that it would be in the manufacturers interest to pay for certification to these standards. What with climate change and ever increasing electricity costs more and more people are wary of the energy that their products are consuming and would pay a little extra for a higher efficiency power supply. I think that 80+ has been in need of a shake up for a while now and have heard of this "manufacturer fixing" to hit certain efficiency levels in tests to get a higher award than they would otherwise get but have not seen any definate evidence. The number of tests in 80+ are too few so this new group having many more tests can only make it harder to "play the game", if not impossible to do so. It has been my opinion that the basic 80+ white is a pointless certification really and needs to be gotten rid of. To my mind we should all be looking at getting at least a gold rated psu not just for efficiency but also because theoretically you should also be getting a better quality psu although tere are exceptions. Anything that makes it harder to be awarded higher efficiency ratings is a good thing in my opinion and should lead to better quality psu's across all ratings eventually.

Back
Top Bottom