*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

Associate
I think Witcher looks better now than what is shown in that pic. Way too sharp and grainy.
There was a sharpening post filtering effect active in earlier builds, but I don't think you can deny that the skybox, vegetation, meshes, textures, volumetric effects and LOD on distant objects is markedly better on those early builds. In fact, CDPR tried to use the sharpening filter as an example of how they improved / optimised the game on release by disabling it when actually they downgraded other things massively; so please don't fall for that one.

Please review the following video carefully before taking the final decision to purchase Cyberpunk 2077. The Witcher 3 should have been the killer app of PC games' visual fidelity equivalent to Uncharted and The Last of Us or even Red Dead Redemption 2 on console. We could have had a game that would have looked awe inspiring to play in 4K on a 2080 ti even today. What we actually got was Console Parity, just like Watch Dogs and The Division. That's right, parallels can be drawn between CD Projekt Red and EA in the matter of downgrades and also between Hello Games in the matter of lying to consumers. Never forget it.

Man of Honour
The Division

TD still has some great attention to detail visuals wise even if a downgrade from what it could have been PC focussed - while maybe a touch bland due to repetition but lots of detail. What actually kills the game visually for me is the lack of physics used for fluids and smoke/steam as soon as I see the behaviour of steam in the environment it breaks me out of any immersion.

Soldato
Some of those ground textures were no better than Oldrim.

You really cannot trust any developer these days with anything. This is why I never pre-order or buy any game on release, and most of the time I never buy a game full-price. The Toal War: Rome 2 debacle changed how I buy games forever, the footage used to promote that game bore no resembance whatsoever to the game itself, and that's just the graphical element, never mind the game being an absolute POS, ans still is a POS, even with overhauls from dedicated and talented modders.

Caporegime
After watching that, clearly there were downgrades. But if I would have used that as a reason for not buying Witcher 3, then I would have missed out on what is my favourite game of all time. Story and gameplay > graphics, every time.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Some of those ground textures were no better than Oldrim.

You really cannot trust any developer these days with anything. This is why I never pre-order or buy any game on release, and most of the time I never buy a game full-price. The Toal War: Rome 2 debacle changed how I buy games forever, the footage used to promote that game bore no resembance whatsoever to the game itself, and that's just the graphical element, never mind the game being an absolute POS, ans still is a POS, even with overhauls from dedicated and talented modders.

Same here. These days I only pre-order or buy day one if it is a franchise I love and want to support. Currently have Resident Evil 2 Remake on pre-order for example.

These days many games look much better with the marketing material. I have learned to ignore them and just wait for in game footage.

Personally I think CDPR will give us the graphics we saw in the latest in game footage of Cyberpunk 2077.

After watching that, clearly there were downgrades. But if I would have used that as a reason for not buying Witcher 3, then I would have missed out on what is my favourite game of all time. Story and gameplay > graphics, every time.

Exactly. As much as as I love graphics, story and gameplay will always come first.

Not like Witcher 3 did not look good anyway. If anyone has seen it on a decent 4K monitor it looks very good. Just wish they had 4K textures for it. The game does not even use 4gb from 12gb I have available, whereas Final Fantasy was using 11.5gb. Only game I have seen to use over 11gb :)

Man of Honour

This. Developers can’t win. If it is graphically stunning and low fps they get blamed for poor coding. If they downgrade it, they are compromising. Gamers are the biggest bunch of whiners. I feel sorry for game developers.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This. Developers can’t win. If it is graphically stunning and low fps they get blamed for poor coding. If they downgrade it, they are compromising. Gamers are the biggest bunch of whiners. I feel sorry for game developers.
Don’t know about feeling sorry for them. But I do think we shoot ourselves in the foot by having the mentality that we have to play games maxed out.

Witcher 3 could have indeed had the better graphics we saw before release, but then people would have moaned saying the game is poorly coded etc due to so much grunt being needed to achieve it. If only people could understand it is ok playing it at high settings, instead of very high or ultra and that it still looks very good, then we would have such settings available more often imo. Would love to see it personally. Would make getting a new graphics card and replaying games at higher settings more fun.

Saying that, some devs leave in settings that make barely noticeable differences to image quality that need a lot more grunt. When struggling for FPS I usually look for these.

PC game sales would need to be stronger relative to consoles for them to put the time in though I would imagine sadly.

Soldato
Devs are very happy to release trailers and gameplay vids when they first announce games to get gamers excited, they are happy to drive up expectations, so it's no surprise when gamers are disapointed when games don't meet the standards they were told to expect.

Devs need to make their games as graphically tweakable as possible so that those who can, can have all the bells and whistles and those who can't can still have a good experience. I do not buy that gamers are at fault for devs over-promising the game at announcement and throughout development, or when they flat out lie and cheat the consumer, NMS, RTW:2, The Division etc

Caporegime
There was a sharpening post filtering effect active in earlier builds, but I don't think you can deny that the skybox, vegetation, meshes, textures, volumetric effects and LOD on distant objects is markedly better on those early builds. In fact, CDPR tried to use the sharpening filter as an example of how they improved / optimised the game on release by disabling it when actually they downgraded other things massively; so please don't fall for that one.

Please review the following video carefully before taking the final decision to purchase Cyberpunk 2077. The Witcher 3 should have been the killer app of PC games' visual fidelity equivalent to Uncharted and The Last of Us or even Red Dead Redemption 2 on console. We could have had a game that would have looked awe inspiring to play in 4K on a 2080 ti even today. What we actually got was Console Parity, just like Watch Dogs and The Division. That's right, parallels can be drawn between CD Projekt Red and EA in the matter of downgrades and also between Hello Games in the matter of lying to consumers. Never forget it.

What?

It's a bloody game, not a tech demo, at the end of the day as long as it's playable and the GAMEPLAY is good, then most people shouldn't care.

Associate
What?

It's a bloody game, not a tech demo, at the end of the day as long as it's playable and the GAMEPLAY is good, then most people shouldn't care.
So most on this forum don't care about graphics fidelity and it adds nothing to the immersion. Got it. I'm sure 'petty' aesthetics play no part in the reason people upgrade their GPUs to expensive models.

Caporegime
So most on this forum don't care about graphics fidelity and it adds nothing to the immersion. Got it. I'm sure 'petty' aesthetics play no part in the reason people upgrade their GPUs to expensive models.

Fidelity based immersion is always going to end up coming short, as you still need to actually be able to play the damn thing to be immersed in the first place.

Getting a stable smooth experience is frankly far more valuable.

Caporegime
It should also be remembered that the power of machines we have on this forum is way above the average of a PC gamer. Developers need to cater to all, not just the power user like us. The better an engine scales the more sales they can make. They put time and money into scalability and efficiency over top end graphical fidelity and quality.

Soldato

Well, we do have the settings menu where we could have had it tweaked as we wanted. That's really not an excuse.

Associate
Fidelity based immersion is always going to end up coming short, as you still need to actually be able to play the damn thing to be immersed in the first place.

Getting a stable smooth experience is frankly far more valuable.
We were promised both, only for the graphics to be dumbed down years after the trailers rather than improved upon. We were also promised REDkit, which would have added endless possibilities for modding and improving the GAMEPLAY even further ourselves as opposed to the limited tools we ended up getting.

It should also be remembered that the power of machines we have on this forum is way above the average of a PC gamer. Developers need to cater to all, not just the power user like us. The better an engine scales the more sales they can make. They put time and money into scalability and efficiency over top end graphical fidelity and quality.
Then they lied about it up 'til the last second and neglected to offer additional detail sliders for power users even though it is shown in the above video it was possible to turn them on or off at a whim and they had options for power users in The Witcher 2 such as Ubersampling.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
On this forum when I think of the words "power user", Kaapstad comes to mind :D

I thought he was going to break his trend and skip the 20 series when he said he is not interested due to his Titan V being faster, but nope, ended up buying two 2080 Ti's anyways. Lol :)

I personally won't likely buy anything until Cyberpunk 2077 comes out.

Damn this thread has gone off topic!

Back
Top Bottom