Cycling helmet...to buy or not to buy!

Associate
I've cycled for a while, my previous bike was a road/hybrid. But i've never used a helmet, Ive never really fallen off or gotten into any sort of accident. But since i'll soon to have my first proper 'road bike' I assume it'll be safer to just get a helmet for long distances.

The thing that puts me off is may not be comfortable or..just too damn sweaty.

links and suggestions to helmets you wear/wore that are good will be appreciated :)

Soldato
I didn't wear one for 4+ years.. over 17000 miles.. in london :) and never had a problem, had crashes etc but I guess I got lucky.

I was the same, sweat, uncomfortable etc.. but after trying a couple I found that

giro reverb fits me perfect so I just got it for the peace of mind really.

Soldato
Got a Giro as well, ended up going into a shop and trying several on, found it the best way to get one that felt right.

When I was a lot younger came off my road bike on a fast descent and slid into a dry stone wall, helmet took all the impact, without it it would have done some serious damage! Never had an accident since, but thing is it only takes one accident.

Permabanned
ALWAYS wear a helmet, there are no negatives about them, they will save your life!

I've worked in A&E I've seen alive cyclists and dead cyclists, the alive ones were wearing helmets!

Associate
OP
ALWAYS wear a helmet, there are no negatives about them, they will save your life!

I've worked in A&E I've seen alive cyclists and dead cyclists, the alive ones were wearing helmets!

I'm just the type of person, that doesn't see myself getting into any accident until it happens. I kinda have no fear of death lol

Man of Honour

Dunno about no negatives* about them but I'd agree with always wear a helmet - follow VaderDSL's advice get one that fits and feels comfortable to you.

* When I used to cycle to work I found the helmet impeded my ability to quickly look around a bit - but I wouldn't have traded the protection.

Man of Honour

The OP should get a helmet, yes.

However, there are definitely negatives to them. If you read up on it the positives and negatives (and incorrect perceptions about the protection offered) are actually quite different to the widely accepted/assumed ideas that people have.

Man of Honour
I'd get one personally. It's not going to do you any harm and (sadly) it gives you more sympathy from the public/drivers when they run you down.

Also get some clear cycling glasses. They make a huge difference when you're descending, riding in rain or dealing with insects.

Associate
OP
I'd get one personally. It's not going to do you any harm and (sadly) it gives you more sympathy from the public/drivers when they run you down.

Also get some clear cycling glasses. They make a huge difference when you're descending, riding in rain or dealing with insects.

All in time..i'll look like a tour de france rider in no time!
Also..do you guys wear any special "cycle shoes" lol..I just wear regular running shoes

Man of Honour
After a helmet saved my life in a MTB crash, I will never, ever get on a bike again without a helmet.

Assuming you were on a trail the conditions are kind of different to road cycling.

All in time..i'll look like a tour de france rider in no time!
Also..do you guys wear any special "cycle shoes" lol..I just wear regular running shoes

Most of us use SPDs or SPD-SL shoes and peddles, yes. Don't worry about that immediately though - a helmet should be an earlier purchase, for instance.

Soldato
Definitely find a shop where you can try several makes and models on, so you don't have to waste time and money sending back ones that don't look right or don't fit your shape head.

And anything that reduces the risk of my loved ones having to feed, care and wipe my arse for me for the rest of my days after a life changing brain injury can only be a good thing.

Man of Honour
Get out for a few rides yourself to start with but after you've got into the swing of things a little more it's worth looking for local cycling clubs (there will be plenty) and joining them for some of their new rider rides.

Back
Top Bottom