Cycling Shoes - Spike Hole Mounts

Associate
A bit of a strange question, I know.

What is best practice for the spike mounts in cycling shoes (Mountain Bike style)?
At the moment the screw heads are scuffing on the ground and probably over time the screw driver slot will be worn away. So I won't be able to remove them if needed.
Is it best to just remove the screw, either let the hole fill with dirt or put a grub screw in the hole, to save damage to the threaded hole?

RGX6KBl.jpg
^ Internet photo.

I appreciate you've never thought of this before ;)
Thank you.

Soldato
If you're unlikely to ever use studs in the holes then I dont suppose it matters either way: leave the screws in and let the heads wear off them or take them out and let the threads fill with crap.

If you might want to fit studs in future, I'd probably go for hot-melt glue to fill up the holes and melt it out again when you want to use them. Or just keep replacing the screws before the heads wear out completely.

Soldato
Maybe look to get some low profile golf studs if you’re not using them! Don’t let them fill as you may need them one day and they may have been damaged and be useless or in my case fallen out and gone missing and require a new pair of shoes(for cx)

Associate
Nip the screws up tight! as can undo otherwise then if need to put studs in??? you can still get them out with a little bit of jiggery pokery with screw driver as unless very soft theres still enough to get a screw driver onto them.
Best screws to use are stainless type

Associate
OP
Nip the screws up tight! as can undo otherwise then if need to put studs in??? you can still get them out with a little bit of jiggery pokery with screw driver as unless very soft theres still enough to get a screw driver onto them.
Best screws to use are stainless type
Thank you :)
I've used some grub screws.

Back
Top Bottom