Cycling to my local station

Soldato
For the last two years, my wife has dropped me off at my local station and picked me up after work. She's no on maternity leave and her 6 week "ban" on driving following a c-section is coming to and end, therefore, she will be keen to have the car to go out and about whilst I'm at work.

My local station has a good and secure cycle store, therefore, instead of buying a car for a 2.6m trip each day, I'm going to cycle it.

As it should only take 10-15 minutes to cycle to the station, I don't see the point in putting cycling gear on, then changing again when I get to work on the other side.

I have a Giant Defy 4 road bike. What should I do to make it more suitable for this type of commuting?

I'll already changed the pedals back to the original strap instead of toe clips.

Is it worth investing in mud guards and a different type of tyre? The condition of the road isn't too bad, but as usual, there are a few potholes.

Also, what would people recommend in terms of keeping dry? I've seen some bike ponchos that look decent and avoids the need to put water proof trousers on, anyone used them in the past?

Soldato
Flat pedals defo, buy some more suited as IIRC the toe clip ones even with the clips taken off are not great/comfortable. Mudguards if you're riding in the rain. Not really much else you can do bike wise with your current. Why change tyres? It's more than capable, just the rest is down to you - how you dress, what you're carrying, how long you're going to take.

I get full kitted up for my 2.4 mile commute. Easily ~10 mins getting ready and then ~5 mins getting changed at work. For a sub 10 minute commute. But I ride it hard, all weathers. There's not much traffic on mine with a mix of rough roads and 30% badly designed cycle path.

If you're prepared to ride it sedate in your work attire it might take closer to 20-30 minutes (depending on traffic/junctions) at that time of day. If it's that long and far more effort than you realise (dunno how fit you are - traffic commuting is very stop/start) then walking might be an easier option (less cost, no time wasted changing kit, no sweat, less time spent locking & unlocking bike). I can walk mine in around 30 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom