Cyclists apopletic about law being applied to them

Associate
There seems to be a correlation between the posters that hate cyclists, Muslims, anything "foreign" and are outlandishly pro-Brexit. Such small-minded individuals.

Man of Honour
They should clamp down on bus drivers pulling out with little or no signalling and playing the gross tonnage wins game. Also those bus drivers that even when given a whole lane pull across those lane markings to go around something slow like a bike in front of them.

Let’s be reasonable, if they have to give the cyclists space, they HAVE to go outside the bus lane markings to overtake them, either that or stay behind at the same speed as the cyclist until the cyclist turns off.

As a keen cyclist myself, and someone who lived in Germany for many years, it does pain me to see how bad UK cyclists are when it comes to paying attention to the law - especially in London. You can be in a cafe or restaurant and every red light period see 4 or 5 cyclists on a busy road zooming straight through without a single care to other road users. It definitely seems to be a UK specific problem.

Maybe because they are well aware that they can get away with it.

A rose by any other name :D regardless of what the trend to call road tax is it’s still road tax :D

I’m a cyclist and a road tax payer and cyclists who run red lights annoy me as do motorcyclists who flip lanes constantly without looking and think they are ‘filtering’.

Bad behaviour is bad behaviour and I suspect cyclists wouldn’t do it if they had a reg plate.

Reg plates for cycles? From your lips to God’s ears.

Yeah, that works really effectively with motor vehicles, doesn't it? ;)

Works for me, a) I wouldn’t risk getting my wife’s car damaged, and b), I don’t want the fine and points.

Someone appears to have stolen the contents of your doughnut, here, have some on me...

Redcurrant-jam-1f616e9.jpg

Touched a nerve did I?

Caporegime
There seems to be a correlation between the posters that hate cyclists, Muslims, anything "foreign" and are outlandishly pro-Brexit. Such small-minded individuals.

I generally hate cyclists, but fine with all the other stuff and am very anti-brexit.

Although i'm not sure it is that i hate cyclist's so much as i think having cyclists mixed with cars is a terrible idea at its core.

I also think recreational cycling on roads should be banned:

A.) It slows traffic down and causes a nuisance
B.) Cyclists shouldnt be cycling on roads just to keep fit anyway. Terrible idea, as all they are doing is breathing in exhaust fumes.

Soldato

There seems to be a correlation between the posters that make excuses for the sometimes outrageous actions of cyclists, that fetishise Muslims and Islam in general and claim that it's racist and/ or 'phobic' to point out that the rather violent nature of its founding might just be a problem for others and that prefer to support anything or anyone "foreign" over ever thinking that the UK and its inhabitants might not be that bad and who are of course outlandishly pro-europe becaue they are such small-minded selifish individuals that they can't comprehend that benefits and pitfalls of EU membership were not spread equally between different social groups in the UK.....and hence why some people weren't so keen on membership.

Last edited:
Soldato

This makes no sense, cars do this also yet motorists don’t wet themselves over it, yet a bicycle does it and they go ballistic. Every day there are roads clogged up with cars. I guess motorists tend to ignore it because they are part of the problem so it’s just part of life, it’s always someone else’s fault.

Caporegime
This makes no sense, cars do this also yet motorists don’t wet themselves over it, yet a bicycle does it and they go ballistic. Every day there are roads clogged up with cars. I guess motorists tend to ignore it because they are part of the problem so it’s just part of life, it’s always someone else’s fault.

I have more issues with people pulling out of sideroads and doing 30/40 in nice clear 50/60 limits than cyclists. It seems to have gotten worse lately, is everyone trying to save fuel or something?

Associate
I generally hate cyclists, but fine with all the other stuff and am very anti-brexit.

Although i'm not sure it is that i hate cyclist's so much as i think having cyclists mixed with cars is a terrible idea at its core.

I also think recreational cycling on roads should be banned:

B.) Cyclists shouldnt be cycling on roads just to keep fit anyway. Terrible idea, as all they are doing is breathing in exhaust fumes.

So the problem is vehicles then? Would you be happy to ban recreational drivers on the roads?

I just don't understand how anyone can hate a "group." You would probably like me in person, but you would then hate me if you knew I cycled? How odd. Hate is such a strong emotion. I certainly don't hate you for "hating" cyclists. I think cycling is brilliant and would make a huge difference to the physical and mental wellbeing of the nation and cut emissions. You should try it if you can. :)

Soldato
I never get the argument about there being bad drivers too. Of course the roads are full of terrible drivers but how many cars do you get completely ignoring Red lights compared to cyclists? Very different percentages.

Caporegime
I think cycling is brilliant and would make a huge difference to the physical and mental wellbeing of the nation and cut emissions. You should try it if you can. :)

I think they simply are not compatible with cars, and they are not a realistic or practical solution for transport and commuting for most people.

I think cycling is a great from of excercise, just not when you are holding up much faster vehicles/causing a nuisance and breathing in toxic pollution the whole time you are doing it.

I would probably ban them from using public roads if i was in charge. I think the amount of money we have spent on cycling infrasturcture is totally bonkers.

I don't hate "cyclists" as such. I hate bicycles being used on roads and think it is stupid to think you are getting a health benefit from driving behind an exhaust pipe your whole journey.

Soldato
Once had a cyclist pull up beside me and call me a *****, I had previously given him a wide berth because he seemed to be struggling to maintain stability. This was on the way to work one dark morning. People are weird and anyone who chooses to ride into work any distance in all weather on a winters morning, are weirder.

I had the same on Kingston bridge. For those that don't know it, it has a superb cycle lane, which is separated from the road by a concrete barrier. This cyclist decided to cycle in the road instead of the extremely safe cycle path and then had a go at me when I beeped him. ******.

Caporegime
I had the same on Kingston bridge. For those that don't know it, it has a superb cycle lane, which is separated from the road by a concrete barrier. This cyclist decided to cycle in the road instead of the extremely safe cycle path and then had a go at me when I beeped him. ******.

Why did you beep them? Cyclists don't have to use the lanes, just pass and get on with your day.

Soldato
I would probably ban them from using public roads if i was in charge. I think the amount of money we have spent on cycling infrasturcture is totally bonkers.

So which is it, you want them off the roads but think spending on cycling infrastructure is bonkers? I think cars should be banned from all town/city centres and from using residential roads as rat runs to clean the air and remove congestion so they can be enjoyed by people that like to walk and cycle

Soldato
Sounds like you're describing quite a different scenario to the person you quoted. Someone had a go at them for apparently no reason, after they passed them legally, giving them a wide berth. You beeped someone for no reason other than them not being in a cycle lane. No need for it, might be annoying as a driver, but they have every right to cycle on the road (a d although they don't need a good reason, there may well have been a good reason - eg wanting to take a turning that the segregated lane wouldn't allow, the lane being full of rubbish, or whatever).

Caporegime
I'd like to see visibility addressed - I had yet another encounter a couple of nights ago with a cyclist in the dark with dark clothing, no front light and only a dim flashing rear red one who wasn't using the road in an ideal manner either.

I almost hit one years ago. Driving around midnight, and they were on a country road, on a bend with ZERO lights or high visibility clothing. Total death wish.

Back
Top Bottom