D5 Vario speed question (1-5)

Soldato
so I’m hoping to put together my loop this weekend, it’s going to consist of a 360mm, 280mm and a 120mm rad, cpu and gpu cooled. Powered by a d5 in a heatkiller d5 150 res.

Now, when the pump res is fitted it’s probably going to be quite difficult for me to reach the speed on the pump as it’s going to be floor mounted with the decoupling kit.

I noticed that it’s a Vario with a 1-5 option on the pump, what do you recommend setting it as? Can I set it to 5 but then control it via the motherboard if it’s too noisy?

Soldato
so I’m hoping to put together my loop this weekend, it’s going to consist of a 360mm, 280mm and a 120mm rad, cpu and gpu cooled. Powered by a d5 in a heatkiller d5 150 res.

Now, when the pump res is fitted it’s probably going to be quite difficult for me to reach the speed on the pump as it’s going to be floor mounted with the decoupling kit.

I noticed that it’s a Vario with a 1-5 option on the pump, what do you recommend setting it as? Can I set it to 5 but then control it via the motherboard if it’s too noisy?

The D5 I used for a few years was silent even when cranked to 5.

They're brilliant pumps, once you use a D5 there's no going back to DDC.

Man of Honour

No, the Vario is the one with the red manual dial, so you cannot alter it via any software.

Mine runs quite happily at just under 2 , thats a cpu and gpu block , 2 x 360 + 1 x 120 rad

Soldato
Can you not just get a long-shafted flathead screwdriver and reach up through a fan grille hole, or something? The likes of Rolston usually do them specifically for jewellery and electronics, in sets of 6 or 8, for a couple of quid...

My D5 lives on setting 5, which seems to work fine...

Soldato

If it has a 1-5 dial on it, then your will not be able to control it via the motherboard which are controlled usually via PWM header which connects to a fan header. I imagine a setting of 3 or something would be sufficient unless you have loads of angles / 90 degree fittings.

Soldato
IME the dial is discrete steps, i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

There is one pump that has interactive Vario and PWM controls: Alphacool VPP755. The dial sets maximum speed, and the PWM signal (if connected) can step the speed down. So for instance mine is set to speed 4 but I can dial pump speed down to 1800RPM (minimum speed) using motherboard control.

There are some pump tops which the VPP755 doesn't fit but in most cases it's a standard D5 drop in fit.

Soldato
OP
My pump is years old and now has started to whine a bit. Turned it down to 2 and it's silent again and still everything is nice and cool

Why so many rads ?
Thanks for all the responses, think I will start with 5 and go from there, by the sounds of people here that’ll be pretty silent :)

As for the rads, they’re just cheap second hand and it’s a good tube path having the extra 120mm in the case.

Soldato
Why don't you just test the pump on each setting before you fit your loop to see which setting has the most acceptable noise to performance ratio for you
It depends on how you mount it and how much the vibration resonates around your particular case. Simply holding the pump won't give any indication of what it'll be like when installed.
You'd also need to fit all parts of the loop that connect to the pump-res, as the vibration will transfer through to those as well.

Remember to fit enough of a complete loop to run the pump with fluid. Don't ever run it dry!!

Soldato
It depends on how you mount it and how much the vibration resonates around your particular case. Simply holding the pump won't give any indication of what it'll be like when installed.
You'd also need to fit all parts of the loop that connect to the pump-res, as the vibration will transfer through to those as well.

Remember to fit enough of a complete loop to run the pump with fluid. Don't ever run it dry!!

Obviously I didn't mean just hold the pump in hand and turn on. I thought it was pretty obvious a pump would need to get isolated to prevent vibrations etc. You won't get 100% the same sound as when the pump in mounted in a case but he would atleast get a idea of the noise levels and the different between each setting.

Soldato
Obviously I didn't mean just hold the pump in hand and turn on. I thought it was pretty obvious a pump would need to get isolated to prevent vibrations etc.
It may seem obvious to you or me with our past experiences, but you cannot assume everyone knows this. No disrespect to Defy, but he didn't know the differences between PWM and Vario pump controls, so I would presume very little experience/background knowledge... and I just mention such things for any other newbies who are also reading the thread. ;)

That's why I also mentioned building at least a partial loop and filling it with fluid before you turn the pump on, as running it dry can cause it damage... at which point, for that kind of effort, you might as well just build the whole loop anyway and then examine methods of sound/vibration dampening.

Soldato
I’ve always ran mine at setting 3. I’ve never seen much difference temp wise between 3-5 apart from noise. Around setting 3 it is completely silent. Setting 5 is a touch noisy for my liking.

I have dual pwm pumps now and run them at roughly the same speed and again completely silent.

Depends on things like case position, position in the case, vibration dampening etc.

OCUK do some shoggy sandwiches which are very good for noise reduction.

Soldato
OP
It may seem obvious to you or me with our past experiences, but you cannot assume everyone knows this. No disrespect to Defy, but he didn't know the differences between PWM and Vario pump controls, so I would presume very little experience/background knowledge... and I just mention such things for any other newbies who are also reading the thread. ;)

That's why I also mentioned building at least a partial loop and filling it with fluid before you turn the pump on, as running it dry can cause it damage... at which point, for that kind of effort, you might as well just build the whole loop anyway and then examine methods of sound/vibration dampening.
I am pretty new to watercooling so I’d rather someone point out things which may be blatantly obvious than not just in case :)

I’ve put all the components in the case, also all the angled fittings, so all I need is to collect my delivery for the standard compressions and I can complete the loop.

Mounting it on the heatkiller decoupling kit which has thick rubber mounts which I hope will eliminate noise/vibrations.

Waiting on some washers to mount it as at the bottom of my case it’s a mesh grill and the holes are too big.

Build looks clean though, minimal tubing on show, no rads on show, it’s going to be very subtle and hopefully a little different to the normal type of wc build :)

Have also scrapped the 120mm rad so it’s a 360 and 280 now, the 120 will have to go in the spares drawer.

Soldato
OP
Leak testing it now it's complete :) all seems okay.. 5 sounds pretty loud but i obviously don't have the window on and it more sounds like the flow of water than the pump itself

Back
Top Bottom