Daewoo NUBIRA ESTATE - Any Good?

Soldato
Just wondered if anyone has experianced the above car.. your thoughts?

Also, is obtaining Daewoo parts going to be an issue?

The one im looking at is a 2000 plate which ive been told means it's mainly Vauxhall parts.

Just after a family sized motor for just over a £1000. Will this car be OK for this?

Last edited:

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Nubira, as a car is purely a tool - a->b device. There is no handling to speak of, no road manners to distinguish, no comforts to be had. Ride is soggy and wallowy, engines are based on old GM designs - Family I based modified E-TEC II 1.6 litre and Holdens licensed Family II based 2 litre. Both are relatively thirsty. Nubira between 97 and 2000 was manufactured as model J100 and is to be avoided at all cost. In 2000 facelifted and "improved" version called J150 was released and two major changes to mention were better interior and extra engine mounts which fixed problem of horrible vibrations being resonated to the inside of the cabin at random rpms. How to tell both generations apart? J100 had characteristic narrow headlamps, styled to resemble first generation Mondeo, J150 has big, roundish headlamps styled to resemble Vectra.

There aren't as many Vauxhall parts in use as owners would like, mainly because Daewoo licenses were for ancient eighties Ascona/Kadett Opels. OEM parts are still largly available from various online stores due to the fact J150 Nubira is still, to this day, manufactured in Romania by a stand alone, privatised, company called... ahem... Daewoo Automobile România S.A. ("DWAR") (no longer related to Daewoo/Chevrolet as we know it)....

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks all. Think i'll give it a miss.

Thought it was odd... the ones ive been looking at all have 60k on the clock or less. Estates tend to have higher mileage do they not?

Man of Honour
Gimpymoo said:
Thanks all. Think i'll give it a miss.

Thought it was odd... the ones ive been looking at all have 60k on the clock or less. Estates tend to have higher mileage do they not?

Generally, large estates are used by people who tend to use them quite a bit which will often mean higher mileage.

Get a Mk2 Mondeo Estate.

Soldato
v0n said:
Nubira is still, to this day, manufactured in Romania by a stand alone, privatised, company called... ahem... Daewoo Automobile România S.A. ("DWAR") (no longer related to Daewoo/Chevrolet as we know it)....

Taken from the above site...

If you are the pretentious and exacting type when you invest your money into a car, you are right: the vehicle must represent your personality.

That might work if it were advertising an Evo or Lambo etc, but imagine having the personality of a Nubira Estate? :D

Soldato
Gimpymoo said:
Anyone else 2nd this?

Am looking for a reliable family estate for about £1400

It pains me to say this as i'm not a mondy fan. But fox is right. Solid, reliable, not a great drive but hey. Also you're likely to find something with toys (if you're into that sort of thing).

1997 P Reg FORD Mondeo 2.0i GLX
5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Petrol, 93,000 miles, Metallic Green. ABS, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Electrically adjustable seats, Power assisted steering, Sunroof. SOLD WITH FULL MOT £1,000.

1999 FORD Mondeo 1.8 Aspen TD
Estate, T reg. Blue, Tax & MOT, c/l, radio/cass, PAS, good condition, excellent runner, recon engine, new cambelt, motorway mileage. £1,000. .

1998 FORD MONDEO 2.0i Ghia X 5dr Estate
97,000 miles, 1998 S-reg, 2.0i Ghia X, State Blue Metalic. Leather Interior, CD, Boot Cover, Alloy Wheels, Manual, Petrol, 97k miles. MOT Aug07, Tax Dec06.
998 FORD MONDEO 2.5 V6 Ghia X 5dr Estate
97,000 miles, ew/cc/es/esr/hs/cd/Leather.

1998 S Reg FORD Mondeo 2.0 Zetec
5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Petrol, Metallic Green. Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Anti theft system, Driver airbag, Electric windows, Power assisted steering, Remote locking. mot'd and tax,d

FORD Mondeo Ghia X Auto
2.0, regd 26/8/98, silver, service history, alloys, leather seats, heated windscreen, full electric pack, new gearbox, excellent condition. £1,350.

And so on.. Lots and lots knocking about for your budget, those are from the trader.
I'm not sure about the LX/GLX badges etc fox is the best guy to ask about that (spec etc). But I suppose 10 billion reps can't be wrong ;) .

Soldato
Mondeo would be a good choice

I'd also look at a Xantia and a 406 as alternatives

Spec wise, Aspen is the basic spec IIRC. Ghia X is the top spec with LX, GLX and Ghia in between

Avoid the diesel engine in the Mondeo though as it's unrefined and slow. The diesel engines in the Xantia and 406 are far better

Soldato
OP
If the vehicles have been well maintained, I assume the high mileage on these vehicles is not an issue?

The more I look, the more tempting a Monedeo becomes.. the only thing im wary of is the high mileage of these vehicles for reasons allready mentioned.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
High mileage Mondeos weakest point will be probably suspension. Mondeos are known to chew its own suspension, they often require bits and bobs replaced every 30-40,000 miles. There items are cheap so people treat it as just another consumable. Check clutch - if highmiler was city highmiler or driver had old habbits (coastering, standing in traffic with clutch pedal depressed etc) and clutch feels fishy it might be knackered - in Mondeos it's a subrame out job, many man hours, unbelievable costs, completely uneconomical and practically any Mondy with dead clutch ends up in junkyard. Avoid auto boxes. Avoid diesels.

Me and my brother spent some time looking through estates this year with budget of £1000. Mondies looked glamorous on paper but in our area all of them were complete sheds. It's a psychological paradox of cheap Mondeo - the cheaper it is to service the less people service it. If you can't find one with all the bits working and some form of history present don't rush it and dont' force it, it will turn against you in the long run.

Also consider Carina E Estates (indestructable workhorses if found in good shape), Primera Estates (very rare but brilliant)

Back
Top Bottom