1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damp / Mould

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by Liquid_Entity, Dec 2, 2013.

  1. Liquid_Entity

    Soldato

    Joined: Apr 11, 2006

    Posts: 5,085

    Location: East Grinstead, W Sussex

    Ewwww !!

    On Saturday we moved the bed further away from the wall as we have seen this ghastly lot on the external walls. The black mould is coming through again through the anti mould paint the landlord painted on a few months ago. The white stuff is wet gooey stuff.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Is this actual damp seeping through the walls, or is it another form of mould. It's disgusting, gooey and there's loads of it all on the external walls.
     
  2. Liquid_Entity

    Soldato

    Joined: Apr 11, 2006

    Posts: 5,085

    Location: East Grinstead, W Sussex

    Please note, the black mould was considerably worst before the Summer, it's just we've spent a lot of time and money in cleaning and treating the walls as best we can. Still hasn't fixed the issue because inherently there must be damp.
     
  3. ColdAsIce

    Mobster

    Joined: May 26, 2006

    Posts: 4,361

    Location: Edinburgh

    Err why on earth are you paying anything to treat that? It's the Landlords responsibility.

    You can search my posts as I went through a similar experience this time last year.

    My advice, move out asap before it affects your health.
     
  4. Liquid_Entity

    Soldato

    Joined: Apr 11, 2006

    Posts: 5,085

    Location: East Grinstead, W Sussex

    Yeah I remember your thread. I think I posted on it too as it was the same last year. Except I wasn't living there last year, my girlfriend was with her mate. Now I live there.

    I've only spent money on cloths, sprays and my time cleaning it all off the walls so we don't see it. Not treated it myself. The landlord has come round a couple of times in the last year and put anti mould paint on it. Which hasn't helped obviously.
     
  5. Liquid_Entity

    Soldato

    Joined: Apr 11, 2006

    Posts: 5,085

    Location: East Grinstead, W Sussex

    We've been quite ill for some months, picking up lots of colds and also coughing when we're at home, not when we're at work etc.

    Probably already doomed then :(

    Sucks, the rest of the flat is fine, it's just these 2 bedrooms. Haven't got enough money saved to just get out and find another flat. Moving is expensive, deposits need to be saved etc.
     
  6. ColdAsIce

    Mobster

    Joined: May 26, 2006

    Posts: 4,361

    Location: Edinburgh

    Any LL that thinks a bit of anti mould paint is going to solve this problem is a chancer.

    That problem won't be solved until the problem is actually tackled. It's honestly not worth waiting around while the LL drags his heels on the issue.

    Put your notice in asap and move on.
     
  7. pitchfork

    Sgarrista

    Joined: Jan 21, 2007

    Posts: 8,715

    That white stuff isn't mould, that's efflorescence as moisture is leaving the walls it's dragging out salts with it.

    In terms of mould "anti mould paint" doesn't solve mould problems, it's just resistant to mould forming on the surface, your landlords a tit. Clean off the mould with a solution of white vinegar or rubbing alcohol - bleach doesn't kill mould, it just bleaches it.

    Then paint over any mould stains with a stain blocker or oil based undercoat, followed by emulsion of your choice

    Efflorescence might go away, if it doesn't you'll need a specialist, it's not harmful to health btw.
     


Share This Page