Dan Kneen dies at IOM TT

Soldato
Sad news :( He’s been riding really well recently, such a brutal event.

Steve Mercer also critically ill after crashing in to the safety car that was attending to Kneen, apparently he was going the wrong way round the course but I’ve only seen that from one source so not sure if it’s true.

Soldato
OP
Sounds really strange for a rider to be going the wrong way round the course, there must be more to the story. Maybe he was going backwards for a handful of meters to park his bike up.

Having read a bit more I think there was an actual procedure for riders to turn round and go back to the pits :eek:

What a stupid procedure, I'm surprised it's taken this long for something to go wrong.

New rules that have been put in place due to the incident with Mercer:

A Red Flag instruction will apply to the entire TT Mountain Course irrespective of where that incident occurred.

There will be no movement on the TT Mountain Course by any rider until the incident has been cleared, regardless of how long that incident may take to clear.

The riders will only be permitted to move in Course direction under the control of Travelling Marshals front and rear

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Going towards bikes that are hitting speeds of 186mph? Naaah, that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
OP
I think it's just when it's red flagged, so they're probably going way slower, still.. if a car is coming towards you at 100mph and you're only doing 20mph you're not sitting pretty.

Soldato
OP
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/706688/isle-of-man-tt-steve-mercer-update-condition-latest-dan-kneen-death/amp

Caroline said on Facebook: "Just to give you an update Steve had surgery early Thursday morning for pelvic and leg injuries which went as well as the doctors could have hoped at this stage.

"Other injuries include a broken ankle, heel, T12 vertebrae, a fracture to his larynx and damage to his neck which means he’s not currently able to breathe for himself without support.

"They’re keeping him heavily sedated most of the time to make him more comfortable whilst he recovers from his injuries.

"Thank you so much to everyone who has helped us to get over to him so quickly and for the hundreds of messages of support we have received.

"I have been reading some of your messages out to him to let him know everyone is rooting for him to get better.

"I’m sorry to everyone I haven’t replied to yet, Steve and the boys are keeping me busy, but I will try to get back to you all over the coming days."

Man of Honour
More people die running marathons each year. All motorsport is dangerous, I can't see the TT being cancelled due to the amount of money it brings into the IoM and it's massive cult status.

Soldato
OP
I don’t believe riders do it for admiration or without fear. They know all too well what the dangers are and you’re more likely to find reclusive type riders at the TT. They do it because of the thrill. It’s not much different to sky diving etc.

There’s a Welsh road race coming next year so if anything it’s growing rather than shrinking.

An interesting insight for anyone that’s not familiar with the TT. Highlights are on ITV4 every evening for the next week or so.

Man of Honour
I don’t believe riders do it for admiration or without fear. They know all too well what the dangers are and you’re more likely to find reclusive type riders at the TT. They do it because of the thrill. It’s not much different to sky diving etc.

There’s a Welsh road race coming next year so if anything it’s growing rather than shrinking.

An interesting insight for anyone that’s not familiar with the TT. Highlights are on ITV4 every evening for the next week or so.

Apparently the Welsh road race is off next year as well, currently unknown if they'll ever get the go ahead.

That's a really good film for an insight into the TT and why the riders do it.

Caporegime
The crashes can be seriously grim, it's honestly a testament to their safety kit that there aren't more fatalities. Kneen's death was tragic and an awful start to the week, RIP :(

Mercer got properly mangled too, he'll be out of commission for a long time.

Closer to the edge is a must see if you're even remotely interested in bikes or motorsport.

Back
Top Bottom