Dangerous, but exciting motorbike riding

Soldato
When driving down the M25 on sunday heading to bluewater somebody on a GSXR came out of the clacket lane services slip road, and joined the motorway, while doing roughly 85 and doing a proper standing wheelie for a good 10 seconds. I was having conflicting thoughts of 'wooww awesome' and 'what a complete **** how dangerous' at the same time.

I don't ride bikes so don't know realy how dangerous or stupid it is, so what do you people who actually ride bikes think about people doing this?

Man of Honour
It's REALLY dumb, with other people about he's gonna kill someone else.

I must admit maybe 10 years back on my R1 I used to live on one wheel, overtaking traffic down local dual carriageway etc, but these days I realize it's stupid, you could clutch it up in 2nd at maybe 70-75 and ride out 2nd gear forever @ around 110mph

I do pop the odd wheelie though, but don't ride them out anymore...and put them down straight away. Value myself and my license too much (insta ban if caught)

The TLR photos in my siggy were taken on a empty road out in the middle of nowhere... but thats what TLRs were built to do ;), flat torque curve = wheelies easy, plus they have a lot of weight which makes them super stable.

Last edited:
Godfather
Godfather
I used to pull wheelies on my RD400 around 1980. Flipped it in the middle of a town in front of all my brother's mates.

I don't do wheelies anymore.

Soldato
I'm of mixed opinion. I have seen guys going down the road on the back wheel and though oooh lovely. and would love to have skilz like that.

But on the other token folk can clown around and do as they like "Just don't endanger anyone else or take them with you" or there will be serious ramifications

Soldato
I used to pull wheelies on my RD400 around 1980. Flipped it in the middle of a town in front of all my brother's mates.

My mate did this about 1980 is as well but was in front of the local school and he wanted a seat on the bus only he decided to go in the back of the bus for it LOL. I obviously wasn't there but my sides were sore hearing about it

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Wheelies, stoppys & burn outs are part of the fun, I'm Always dissapointed if a decent bike or car goes past me on tick over. :(
I'll go as far as giving the dude more room & a wave of appreciation. :cool:

Soldato
Squid stupidity on the public roads , keep it for empty car parks :rolleyes:

Tell me which car parks you all go to and you can teach me lol.

I always think back to when I tried it on mates silly little scramblers. Me waving my legs about at the side trying to keep it balanced and getting faster and faster not really getting it anywhere LOL

Associate
Tell me which car parks you all go to and you can teach me lol.

I always think back to when I tried it on mates silly little scramblers. Me waving my legs about at the side trying to keep it balanced and getting faster and faster not really getting it anywhere LOL

Randall industrial estate ;):D

Man of Honour
There's a time and place for this sort of thing, pulling onto a busy motorway is not one of them. Stupid show off behaviour.

I'm not one for wheelies, I get the wheel up a little under power, but we're talking a few inches. Even if I was good at doing them, I wouldn't let myself do them in public or on request to show off. When on 1 wheel you can swerve or brake quickly should you need to - not worth the risk.

Soldato
I just get jealous lol. no matter how hard I try, I can't get the front wheel up :(. Want to go to a wheely school hah.

But yeah, time and a place, and a busy motorway isn't it.

Soldato

haha, I did the same thing on my R1. At the time I was getting pretty good at wheelies, could get up to 3rd on the back wheel. I had just fitted a new Akro system that day, hadnt got used to the nice power band it had put on the R1. Left a set of lights, front wheel came up as per normal, then powerband hit and oh shhh***********************.

Not nice watching my pride and joy slide down the road sparking away as the brand new can lay shiny side down.

Ive now lost the nickname of 'Flipper' but I dont do them anymore unless by accident :p

Soldato
I had a m8 who would wheelie anything he put his hands on i had a honda cx500 also known as the plastic maggot and i said if you can wheelie the cx500 i would take the damage if there is any lol

he done it , you ever see a cx500 on the back wheel ? made me laugh seeing a big old whale coming down the road on it's back wheel.

Last edited:
Associate
I removed my front wheel, the bike seems to think it is some kind of optional extra ;)

(it pops up with extreme eagerness but i rarely ride them out)

Associate
Yeah it's a bit stupid but he's really only putting his own life in danger. In this country we're too quick to tell other people what they should and shouldn't do... even what we should and shouldn't think.

Soldato

I did the same on my kids bmx trying to show him how to do wheelies. My wife was literally in hysterics whilst I lay winded struggling to breathe lol. I reckon doing it at 70mph can only hurt a lot more so I avoid it :D

AMG

AMG

Soldato
you must have landed with a bit of a bang than :p

personally although I did have a GSXR (my dad is nicking it im getting something else) I only pulled them by accident aka a bit too much throttle.

the only time and place is a race track imo

doing in a car park late at night and the local chavvs think they can do it and crash

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom