Dangerous Hazro Monitor

Associate
How many users of glass screened Hazro monitors have had problems with the glass becoming detached or falling off? Many online publications have now amended their reviews to warn users of possible danger posed by continuing
to use 27" Hazro monitors that were assembled using an inadequate method of attaching glass to frame. The matter is currently being investigated by Trading Standards. There does not seem to be any admission of liability or issue of warning/recall notice by Hazro at this time.

Associate
I bought one late last year, had to send it back as it was doa. The replacement that was sent to me by OCUK had a perfect picture with no dead pixel and no dust stuck behind the screen.

Well at least it was perfect for about 4 weeks then the screen started showing a greenish tint, first only on power up and a day later it would be permanent as soon as the windows startup had loaded. A couple of days after that the glass fell off.

The funny thing is that when I called OCUK about the first monitor the guy in Customer Service said they really never got many complaints about the Hazro monitors, he said they had no bigger complaint ratio than on other monitors.

Looking back on it all, it was what made me decide never to buy a product with OCUK again and certainly never any Hazro product with anyone else.

The fact that OCUK refused to reimburse my shipment of the monitors back to them after they had clearly sold me 2 products that in no way lived up to what they should well.. It might be the standard of business operations in England as OCUK claims but it certainly is not how things are done in Scandinavia, and thank heaven for that.

The monitor was part of a new 2k setup I build for myself, I was planning to build it with parts bought with OCUK as I had done before. But after seeing how they dealt with the RMA I decided to choose companies based in Denmark which luckily has been flawless and with excellent customer service.

Last edited:
Caporegime
To be fair I have most retailers or companies make you pay to send them back when faulty. Even PC Power & cooling made me pay £28 shipping costs for a faulty psu back to holland (although they replaced it with a newer better, more powerful model and reset the 7 year warranty back to the beginning).

The only exception I have ever come across was NEC who shipped a new monitor via courier and collected the broken monitor all free of charge. In fact they upgraded me to their newer model as mine was discontinued.

So a bit harch to blame ocuk for not reimbursing your shipping costs. 99% of comapnies don't.

Soldato
If the item is faulty I thought the retailer was liable for postage costs to return or is that only in the first 30 days ?

Edit - Retailer is responsible for return shipping if the item is faulty, sale of goods state...

In the case of faulty goods being returned because they are not fit for purpose do not match their description or are not of a satisfactory quality , the customer is entitled to claim the cost of postage from you or to request that you arrange collection of the item.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If the item is faulty I thought the retailer was liable for postage costs to return or is that only in the first 30 days ?

Edit - Retailer is responsible for return shipping if the item is faulty, sale of goods state...

Meh I got scammed then having to pay for my psu to Holland............if it wanst for the fact I got a 100W higher power psu, and an extra 3 years warranty.

But I didn't realise that and I am sure may people on here don't as I have seen loads of people kick off about the coist of sending faulty goods back.

Associate
OP
In the UK if you can prove it was a manufacturing fault, ( which the glass falling out of the monitor is and has been warned about on review sites), then the retailer seems to be liable for all associated return costs for up to six years. Not sure if this would apply to sales overseas though.

Associate
I spoke to the branch of EU consumer support here in Denmark, they said that retailers were obliged to pay shipping costs. In my situation the price of shipping from Denmark to UK is 65 GPB so I've had to pay 130 GBP to return the 2 faulty monitors. The problem is that filing a complaint with the EU Consumer Support is slow and very extensive so I gave up doing it.

I do realize that "most companies" in UK might not reimburse shipping, but that doesn't mean that it is not bad costumer service. In my case I even offered OCUK to buy equipment with them with the money if they reimbursed me. They refused to even consider that and said that they had no obligation what so ever to reimburse for overseas purchases. This was new to me and I have of course warned other scandinavians about purchasing items with OCUK on various tech pages. The feedback was that not many had experienced problems with sending back items to Germany, Sweden, Holland and other places.

And looking at the tons of pages with complaints from users who bought Hazro monitors I find it funny that the OC UK Support people could say that the monitors were not more faulty than the other products they sell. That is a somewhat scary thought if it is true.

But to get thread back on track +1 for having glass fall off the monitor.

Last edited:
Soldato
How many users of glass screened Hazro monitors have had problems with the glass becoming detached or falling off? Many online publications have now amended their reviews to warn users of possible danger posed by continuing
to use 27" Hazro monitors that were assembled using an inadequate method of attaching glass to frame. The matter is currently being investigated by Trading Standards. There does not seem to be any admission of liability or issue of warning/recall notice by Hazro at this time.

From that post its not clear if you own one of these screens.

You posted and left... no evidence to back you up.

Im fed up of these people who jump on a major uk pc forum, post some crap with negative info about a manufacturer and then don't post again, Looks to me you posted that as a competitor and wish to harm Hazro's reputation..

EDIT:

Looking at the OP's Posts... He seems to only talk crap about hazro... So i would ask a mod to remove him please... we dont need that type of person in this forum

Last edited:
Associate
OP
From that post its not clear if you own one of these screens.

You posted and left... no evidence to back you up.

Im fed up of these people who jump on a major uk pc forum, post some crap with negative info about a manufacturer and then don't post again, Looks to me you posted that as a competitor and wish to harm Hazro's reputation..

EDIT:

Looking at the OP's Posts... He seems to only talk crap about hazro... So i would ask a mod to remove him please... we dont need that type of person in this forum

Yes I do own one of these screens and I have plenty evidence to back up any information I post. I can make it available to anyone who may require it. The "crap with negative info" you refer to just happens to be a justified criticism of the poor quality of goods and the lack of support from a manufacturer. There are many others who post the same. There are others who post criticism of different manufacturers. You would rather not have "that type of person" on this forum?. If that is the case then it would seem that anyone who has a complaint about a purchase they have made or the service they have received from any manufacturer should be banned from airing their grievances.
The glass became detached from the top of my monitor which was within warranty period. I contacted both OCUK and Hazro explaining what had happened and politely requested that they inform me of what action to take to rectify the problem. OCUK contacted me 5 days later to inform me that as it was past the 28 day DOA period it was not their problem and to contact Hazro. I explained that I had contacted Hazro and received no reply. Over the following weeks I continued to message Hazro and OCUK, also having telephone conversations with OCUK where I informed them again that Hazro were ignoring all messages. They told me that it was unusual as they had not heard of anyone having a problem contacting Hazro. After weeks of many messages and phone calls and being no further forward I finally contacted CAB and Trading Standards. I was informed by Trading Standards that they would require to visit my premises to inspect the monitor. A date was agreed. I informed both OCUK and Hazro of the situation. Strangely the following day I received a request from both Hazro and OCUK to return the monitor to them individually. It happened to be the day that the Senior Trading Standards Officer from my area was examining the monitor. He advised me that it was currently in a dangerous condition and that if I was to continue using it to make sure I propped up the glass and not to allow children near it. He also informed me that he was going to pass all relevant information and knowledge to his colleagues to deal with Hazro directly. He told me he would prefer if I did not return the monitor at this time in case it may be required for further analysis. I informed both Hazro and OCUK of his request.
The situation is ongoing.
No I am not a competitor wishing to harm Hazro's reputation. They can manage to do that themselves without any assistance.

Associate
OP
I believe that there are some countries where you may be denied from asking opinions, stating facts and telling the truth. I may be mistaken but I don't think this is one of them.
The reason I "talk crap about Hazro", is that as a result of my own experience in dealing with them as a company, I can find little good to say about them.

Soldato
All your posts are hate towards hazro.

Hazro 30" monitors are amazing and the CS is great if you know who to talk to.

Try posting other stuff apart from... hazro hate

Soldato
Hazro 30" monitors are amazing and the CS is great if you know who to talk to.

If you need to know in advance who to talk to in order to get decent customer service then the customer service is bad. The customer service interface should be professional and consistent irrespective of the individual you end up dealing with.

If for example there was a single individual who needed to regularly get involved to sort out seemingly straight forward customer service issues, you’d have to applaud their efforts but also wonder why they needed to get involved in the first place.

Associate
OP
I have no hatred towards Hazro but am angry about their continuing silence regarding the issue of the glass panel becoming detached from certain 27" monitors.

I shall attempt to explain better to you my reason for such anger.

Earlier this year before I left to work abroad for six weeks, I moved my monitor to my daughter's bedroom and wall mounted it in order that she and her sister could use it to watch dvd's. It was after my return home when I went to remove it back to my study that I noticed the glass had slipped from the frame and was in danger of falling off completely at any time without warning. This location was shown to the Trading Standards Oficer when he visited to inspect the monitor. He was very concerned about the possible consequences if the glass had fallen from the monitor while a child was playing beneath. I was also very concerned. I then became angry when the manufacturer seemed unwilling to either admit to the manufacturing fault or to do anything to warn others. You may think of that as "great customer service" but I certainly don't. It was fortunate that I noticed this defect before any injury was caused, others may not be aware yet of this issue and consequently may not be so fortunate. For that reason the more people who are aware of the potential danger the better they can take action themselves to minimise the risk. It seems that the tape holding the glass to the monitor frame loses strength over time. It could be dependant on the period of time the monitor has been powered on and therefore the amount of heat generated. Therefore some users have discovered the hazard earlier than others and some have yet to discover it.

The bottom line is that Hazro seem to be failing in their duties and obligations as a manufacturer. If reports of many similar malfunctions due to manufacturing fault caused a microwave / washing machine / TV etc. to become unstable or dangerous you would expect the manufacturer to take remedial action once they had become aware of the issue. If a car manufacturer was made aware that windscreens on a certain model of car were falling out due to an inadequate assembly process you would expect them to immediately issue a public warning/recall notice. In doing so they would be responding as any responsible company would. The issue of the glass becoming detached from certain Hazro monitors is widely reported and has been for some time. It seems that Hazro have been aware of such yet no action has been taken to protect the users from possible harm.
TFT Central, Trusted Reviews, pcGameware and PC Advisor are all warning of the potential hazard of these monitors. They would not do so just on heresy.

Also, if you could let concerned users of affected monitors know how to contact this person you know who to talk to at Hazro it would be most helpful, as many of us not "in the know" have difficulty in this department.

Associate
I have had 2 of these; the first I RMAd, as the monitor was leaning forward and as it did not have a tilt facility, I couldn't alter the angle. It also had a stuck pixel and had some scratches on the bezel. The replacement I received from OCUK came with a dodgy power brick. The lead was loose, causing it to switch on and off (and crackle) randomly. I requested that OCUK refund me and I would choose a different monitor but they simply requested that I send the power brick back, for a replacement. The 2 monitors I received have put me off buying another Hazro.
I put a review on the OCUK website, stating that IMO the quality is not great and guess what...it never appeared.

Associate
OP
I have today 14/01/2013, received a further message from Trading Standards with regard to their investigation of Hazro. They informed me that they are now having difficulty in tracing the responsible person for this company and that the Hazro website appears to have been taken down. Trading Standards are continuing to pursue this company as they are concerned about risk of harm to users of affected monitors. I have been given notice that Trading Standards will keep me further updated.
I would also be concerned at this time if considering purchasing a Hazro monitor or attempting to return one under warranty.

Associate
I have today 14/01/2013, received a further message from Trading Standards with regard to their investigation of Hazro. They informed me that they are now having difficulty in tracing the responsible person for this company and that the Hazro website appears to have been taken down. Trading Standards are continuing to pursue this company as they are concerned about risk of harm to users of affected monitors. I have been given notice that Trading Standards will keep me further updated.
I would also be concerned at this time if considering purchasing a Hazro monitor or attempting to return one under warranty.

Does not sound good :( Hopefully it is only a temporary glitch.

Soldato
Wow just reas this whole thread, cant believe how bad hazro is! Glad i never considered one of these monitors myself. I find it annoying that some people on this site can come on here and start trying to argue back and acuse someone of being a competitor or that they are talking crap when its clearly just good info to warm others of the potential hazards. Im pretty sure they wouldn't be saying the same thing if they were in the same situation...

OcUK Staff
Hi there

To add my input here, Hazro stopped doing the glass versions some time ago, due to manufacturering issues mainly with dust getting trapped behind the glass. Hazro were using what they called a class 2 cleanroom, in order for them to cure the issues with dust they'd need a class 1 cleanroom and as such they made the decision to cease production of the glass fronted models. Simply as a class 1 cleanroom would have cost them an incredible amount of money, resulting in the monitors not being good value for money.

In regards to return rates on Hazro, they are indeed higher percentage wise, the reason our returns/CS staff might say they witness no higher returns on Hazro compared to other bigger brands is simply because they are giving you their impression from the amount of returns they deal with. So for those guys they deal with say more Samsung returns compared to Hazro simply because we sell several times more Samsung.

Only I have access to actual RMA percentage rates and no the true story, though Hazro RMA rate is not alarmingly high, it is higher than other brands such as BenQ, Samsung etc.

As with all the products we sell, we look after the warranty and take complaints seriously and will honor any faulty product and cover shipping charges of faulty product. :)

As to tracing down Hazro, were too having issues at present trying to contact anyone there, as always we shall honor the warranty of the product should it develop any issues within its warranty period.

Associate
No need to be alarmed - we had a factory shutdown (2 weeks) and recommenced work yesterday afternoon. CES will keep us silent for another week but we are here. Just to add, we have 3 shutdowns annually so around Easter, we'll go quiet again. New launches include 29" Panoramic (2560x1080), new 30" LED and a wide gamut 27" WQHD. At CES, we'll exhibit our new 4k monitor (around £10k) as well as our 70" LED. New SSDs (120GB and 240GB arriving in 2 weeks too with +500 r/w ATTO speeds). We will address all above issues shortly.

Back
Top Bottom