DAP Recommendations for Shure 846

Associate
Hi, I have just taken my first steps into Hi Def audio and purchased a set of Shure 846 IEM which are fantastic. Now I would like to match them to a decent DAP.

My first attempt was to buy a Fiio X1 Gen 2 which whilst it sounded fabulous compared to my iPhone 7 plus, the UI was not great so have since returned it.

I have narrowed my choices down to the following:

Cowon Plenue D
A&K Jnr
iBasso DX80
Sony NW-A35

Any advice, recommendations appreciated.

Associate
I have the AK Jr. The weakest point of this device is the UI. Great sound, size, feels premium. BUT, the UI is not smooth like a mobile phone is. It is quite clunky. I live with it because i really like the sound, size, and design of the JR (even at its original 400 price). Also, the usb dac function doesn't work on usb3 on windows 10.
Im guessing if you ditched the X1 because of the UI then forget the JR.

Associate
OP
I have the AK Jr. The weakest point of this device is the UI. Great sound, size, feels premium. BUT, the UI is not smooth like a mobile phone is. It is quite clunky. I live with it because i really like the sound, size, and design of the JR (even at its original 400 price). Also, the usb dac function doesn't work on usb3 on windows 10.
Im guessing if you ditched the X1 because of the UI then forget the JR.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have read that A&K are not the best for firmware updates either. I am very tempted by the Sony however I'm concerned that the sound could be fairly average. The Sony does tick all the boxes though. I think I will order that and see how I get on. Thanks for your help.

Just seen I can pickup a Pioneer XDP-100R for £299 which has wifi, so Tidal would be available for Hi Res streaming as well. MQA support is also on this model.

Think I will take a look at this one as well now :)

I never thought this could be so difficult :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Im a big fan of Cowons products, and whilst I havent used one of their products in about 5 years I found their UI to be pretty good. I've also heard nothing but good things about the Plenue D (inc its firmware).

Associate
OP
Im a big fan of Cowons products, and whilst I havent used one of their products in about 5 years I found their UI to be pretty good. I've also heard nothing but good things about the Plenue D (inc its firmware).

Thanks Cookeh, i'm struggling with what to buy.

Back
Top Bottom