Dark Base Pro 900 Water Cooling Build (Updated: 01/12/2020 - Phase 4)

Associate
OP
No probs mate ;)

Wish I was able to send you a PM or something... basically:

I have been having flow issues on my DB900 for a while now, same as you had found... the front door is just way too restrictive!

I've been looking for a way or for someone to cut holes in my front panel aluminium for ages now but couldn't find anyone willing to take my door and cut it :/

how did you end up making your door? I see that it looks like you've got a clear acrylic piece cut which you've fitted into is that another black acrylic front piece to make a whole new door? - also that temperature light feature at the bottom is really cool :D

Basically, I want to do the same to my case, but I dunno where to start, who to get to cut the acrylic for me, or how to get the design for them to follow? :s

Associate
Wish I was able to send you a PM or something... basically:

I have been having flow issues on my DB900 for a while now, same as you had found... the front door is just way too restrictive!

I've been looking for a way or for someone to cut holes in my front panel aluminium for ages now but couldn't find anyone willing to take my door and cut it :/

how did you end up making your door? I see that it looks like you've got a clear acrylic piece cut which you've fitted into is that another black acrylic front piece to make a whole new door? - also that temperature light feature at the bottom is really cool :D

Basically, I want to do the same to my case, but I dunno where to start, who to get to cut the acrylic for me, or how to get the design for them to follow? :s
Activate your trust mate then we can send emails.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Drazek

I'm looking to start a build using this case and came across your thread while doing some research and have a few questions if I may.

I am looking to get same size radiator for the top. I'm only water cooling my CPU, Not sure if it's overkill having a 420 radiator but I do want good cooling as I'll be overclocking the 8700k when it comes. Was the radiator itself ok to fit using push/pull or was it very fiddly? Not sure if it would be tight on space. Is there no top mesh that covers the fans and allow airflow? It doesn't look quite right with the fans exposed as pictured (No offense).

I did kind of wonder if having the front door would effect cooling and reading through your posts I guess it's best to keep it open when gaming Can I ask why you didn't stick a fab at the bottom of case? Or was it not worth it.

How have you set up all your fans? I noticed you mentioned you had a additional controller as I believe one comes with the case. How do you power them? Through motherboard or psu?

This is going to be my first ever build so I am going with soft xspc UV tubing. But your hard tubes look fantastic.

Many thanks )

Associate
OP
I'm starting a water cooled build now with this case, was wondering are you using fans on the bottom, can't tell by the pictures.
Hello! - I am not using any fans on the bottom of my case, my fans are situated: 2x intake on the Front Radiator, and 3x3 (push/pull) on the top radiator. I also have 1x fan as a case outtake on the back side of the case... I do not have a 3rd fan at the top front of my case, because I couldn't get one to fit in there properly :o

My Pump and Tubing and power cables are all at the bottom of the case so there's no space at all to put fans in there :(

Hi Drazek

I'm looking to start a build using this case and came across your thread while doing some research and have a few questions if I may.

Hello! - okay let me break it all down for you :)

I am looking to get same size radiator for the top. I'm only water cooling my CPU, Not sure if it's overkill having a 420 radiator but I do want good cooling as I'll be overclocking the 8700k when it comes. Was the radiator itself ok to fit using push/pull or was it very fiddly? Not sure if it would be tight on space. Is there no top mesh that covers the fans and allow airflow? It doesn't look quite right with the fans exposed as pictured (No offense).

My Top Radiator is an EK-CoolStream CE 420 45mm thick rad. - I hate it, don't buy it, it's trash! (the screws are rubbish and too short, half the screw holes aren't even threaded properly, it needs a full proper flush because it's full of crap) > you're better off going with a HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTR 420 radiator, this is what I will be replacing my rubbish EKWB with eventually...

Fitting Push/Pull wasn't hard, you mount the radiator at the top inside of the case, and then sandwich the top fans on the outside top of the case, there's enough space underneath the top panel to fit those fans so it's all good! :) (do you see how the fans sit underneath the wireless charging pad? that's how you know they will all fit.) - However, I had to use different screws to fit these fans because my EKWB radiator didn't come with long enough screws! (another reason why I hate the EKWB radiator). - on the bottom of the rad, I had to cable tie the fans on... again, because the radiator sucks and the screw holes weren't threaded properly!

There is no mesh at the top covering the fans, however there doesn't need to be because you will have the top case cover over them stopping any dust from getting in. - now let it be known that you will probably have about 5mm of space between the top fans and your top case cover... that's not a lot of space for the air to go after it's been pushed out of the top fans, however I find that this doesn't really effect the temperatures because you're got so much pressure with the push/pull setup that it doesn't really make a difference (just make sure you have enough intake! keep that door open.) - I am going to think about modifying my top cover to add a clear plexi window into it so I can see the fans on top through the cover and also add some additional air holes to allow for better air flow out with the top cover on.

I did kind of wonder if having the front door would effect cooling and reading through your posts I guess it's best to keep it open when gaming Can I ask why you didn't stick a fab at the bottom of case? Or was it not worth it.

The front door needs to stay open, honestly... I get about 5-10c higher temps whilst gaming/benching once my system has all warmed up if I keep the door closed... it's ridiculous! - I've just got my door permanently open these days, wedged it open with a USB cable... but again, i'm looking to modify the front door to allow proper air flow through it much like Bone9 has done with his case.

How have you set up all your fans? I noticed you mentioned you had a additional controller as I believe one comes with the case. How do you power them? Through motherboard or psu?

My fans are setup fairly simple: all radiator fans are connected to my 8-way low profile fan controller, this is powered by a standard SATA power cable in the bottom and the motherboard PWM CPU Fan header at the top! - the controller passes a PWM signal to all of the fans and as it's connected to the CPU Fan header they all go faster/slower as my CPU heats up and cools. - hopefully you can see the controller setup in the pictures on the first page of my thread... I will get some new pictures to show you exactly how it's setup when I get home (if I remember.)

The fans i'm using are BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed - controlled down to about 800-1000 RPM, and fan curved to go to maximum from 50c-70c. at 1000RPM my fans are practically silent, can't hear them at all :o

This is going to be my first ever build so I am going with soft xspc UV tubing. But your hard tubes look fantastic.

Thank you very much! :) I had a LOT of trial and error getting those tubes to bend properly, be the correct sizes and look right... that was a nightmare on it's own.

Many thanks )

I have also since upgraded my Motherboard and CPU to an ASUS Maximus X Code and the 8700K - Delidded, liquid metal under the heatspreader and overclocked to 5.0GHz!! - It runs like a Dream...

Last edited:
Associate
Oh no, I just ordered the EK p24o Kit. I hope I don't run into as many problems. I'm going to stick to my coolermaster cosmos SE for now as I too have bought a delidded 8700k (4.9Ghz) and same motherboard, plus the water kit I have spent more than enough already, that is if I can manage to fit everything in, otherwise I may have to get a new case.

Associate
OP
Oh no, I just ordered the EK p24o Kit. I hope I don't run into as many problems. I'm going to stick to my coolermaster cosmos SE for now as I too have bought a delidded 8700k (4.9Ghz) and same motherboard, plus the water kit I have spent more than enough already, that is if I can manage to fit everything in, otherwise I may have to get a new case.
Well hopefully your kit will be okay, I love the EKWB waterblocks and pumps, it's just my radiator I don't like :(

Associate
... this case will not fit 2x 420 rads, do you see the top rad in my picture? that's a 420 and it covers the area of the top most front fan... so you won't get a radiator to fit in there. - the best you can do is 1x 420 and 1x 280 ...

I beg to differ ;)
You can absolutely fit two 420's in (albeit that you'll need to remove the front bays and make some minor modifications):
dUAqwpU.jpg
That's two Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTS420 fitted, one in the roof and one to the front.

The build is still a work in progress (build log) but I should have it completed in the next days.

Associate
I'm thinking about watercooling in this case too and my question is how did you mount the pump/res? My Dark Base looks different there.

Associate
Here my watercooling from february 2018, i was inspired by your construction
i have a wide 480 and 360mm rad
do not pay attention to dust haha

Q8ZKAfS.jpg
PEJNUd9.jpg wpnPHWH.jpg
7FuTK29.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Here my watercooling from february 2018, i was inspired by your construction
i have a wide 480 and 360mm rad

Very cool :D

I'm thinking about updating my build this year, probably going to try fitting a Black Ice GTS 420 rad in the front and a matching GTS 420 in the top, gonna remove that god awful EK top radiator (I hate it.)
gonna get some ML140 fans in there to improve the lighting, and I'll be looking at laser cutting the front door to let some more air in.

Associate
OP
Small update from 2019 that I forgot to add to my 3 year old post here. lol.

I finally replaced the front panel with a custom laser etched double acrylic piece to improve airflow to the front radiator! :D

drazek-phase4-custom-front-panel.jpg

uh, I have no idea why the image was imported sideways ;s

Associate
OP
Hi, love your mod. How can I get one of these custom door panels? Thank you
Hi, thanks!

I commissioned a friend who had a laser cutter to cut me these panels. I designed the artwork and technical design and gave him all the dimensions and he cut it all for me :D

The mm I just had to glue the panels together and screw the brackets on and install the magnets.

Only issue is without using a pen or pencil to pry the door open theres nowhere for me to grip the door to open in myself lol

Back
Top Bottom