Dark Soul's: Prepare to Die Edition (PC)

Soldato
Can someone sum up the main differences between Dark Souls and Demon Souls for us? Demon Souls is on PSN for £8 at the mo.

Demons Souls has better atmosphere, Dark Souls is more refined mechanically.

Dark Souls is entirely open world, Demons Souls is "level" based with a main hub.

Overall I would say Demons Souls is a little more.....hardcore, Dark Souls is more accessible but also has a good difficulty curve in comparison.

Some of the Demons Souls mechanics are a little annoying, character and world tendencies for instance can be horrifically aggravating if you screw up.

Demons Souls is a LOT less forgiving as well.

Last edited:
Associate
In Demon's Souls you use Moon Grass for healing. It can be bought or found meaning you can stack loads of them but you don't get free refills anywhere either (like with estus at bonfires) so you may have to farm them occasionally early on. This does make it slightly easier but the game is still a respectable challenge.

Caporegime
Just did blightown in like 30 minutes? Don't see why people would hate it so much, think I died twice by stupidly going down a crowded ladder and strafing on the edge. Pretty cool area, I guess there is more to explore but coming in from depths it wasn't too long.

Soldato
Went down town earlier and finally picked it up in the 2 for £25 deal so got The Basement Collection too :D
Had this on the 360 when it first came out, but made a school boy error and had a very slow heavy armour wearing character so I got my *** kicked all over the shop and got bored when I couldn't beat the 2 gargoyles in Undead Burg(?)
So any tips for creating a more agile character so I can dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge with a bit more finesse? Thanks :)

Soldato
Went down town earlier and finally picked it up in the 2 for £25 deal so got The Basement Collection too :D
Had this on the 360 when it first came out, but made a school boy error and had a very slow heavy armour wearing character so I got my *** kicked all over the shop and got bored when I couldn't beat the 2 gargoyles in Undead Burg(?)
So any tips for creating a more agile character so I can dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge with a bit more finesse? Thanks :)

Pump points into dexterity and wear lighter armour, keep and eye on your weight in the character screen. For maximum dodge power you want to be 25% or under, for middle but not as slow as very heavy you want to be under 50% of weight.
Bear in mind that weights is calculated on equipment that is equipped only, you can carry as much as you like in inventory.
I used Black leather armour with thief hood for quite a while, I think I looted it on the way to the depths, in one of the rooms near those ninja typecharacters and dogs. I also killed th undead burg npc vendor for the uchigatana (awesome dex based weapon, especially when you start to upgrade it - at +15 now and it seems unstoppable)

Associate
You don't have to be dex based to be speedy. personally I liked being a fast mobile character with a heavy hitting weapon. So getting 16 strength to use the claymore or the 2 handed zweihander (if you're confident enough to play without a shield) and pumping the rest of your stats equally into vit and end will make you mobile, durable and you'll pack a punch. Of course without stat scaling your weapons will start to get weak so you'll want to make them elemental as soon as that option becomes available. Getting the ring of favour and protection, and havel's ring will also allow you to wear decent armour without penalty.

Man of Honour
Pump points into dexterity and wear lighter armour,

Dexterity has absolutely nothing to do with speed, so this is completely incorrect advice. Endurance is the stat that most helps with speed, as putting points in Endurance increases your equip burden, which means you can wear heavier armour or use bigger weapons while still remaining mobile.

Man of Honour
Of course without stat scaling your weapons will start to get weak so you'll want to make them elemental as soon as that option becomes available.

I'd only advise that if you're only planning on going through the game once with each character. As powerful as elemental weapons are, they still pale in comparison to a +15 weapon with good stat scaling and a good buff, which is most useful in NG+ and beyond.

Soldato
Just did blightown in like 30 minutes? Don't see why people would hate it so much, think I died twice by stupidly going down a crowded ladder and strafing on the edge. Pretty cool area, I guess there is more to explore but coming in from depths it wasn't too long.

Console versions.

There's your answer :D

Soldato
Is it because of FPS lag? I did get a bit of it there and the only place so far in the game, same on console?

Yup, on consoles slow down was so bad sometimes it was 4 fps and under! With some of the enemies and stuff in the area at that fps it became extremely frustrating for many!

Back
Top Bottom